AT&T releases Mark the Spot, a network failure reporting tool « Boy Genius Report

Poor AT&T, it must be tired of being tied to the whipping post and constantly flogged in the media for its abysmal network performance. To address its network woes, AT&T has released a new iPhone application called Mark the Spot to help AT&T customers report any failures with their service. The app uses geo-location to pinpoint the handset’s location and asks the user to identify the type of problem which they are reporting. Based upon the number of “AT&T network down” tips that we receive, we have a feeling that AT&T is going to be flooded with submissions. But to be completely fair, this is a pretty brilliant tool and should be available on practically any carrier. It can help push fixes to constantly troubled locations, improve dead zones, and more.

Pretty Cool. Coming to more devices soon.
    12-07-09 10:27 PM
    cool, but how are you gonna "mark the spot" if you have no network covereage?
    12-08-09 12:33 AM
    Newest AT&T Commercial: "Our users don't report any dropped calls with our fast 3G network!"
    12-08-09 01:35 AM
    Newest AT&T Commercial: "Our users don't report any dropped calls with our fast 3G network!"
    last time i dropped a call was before i was able to disable 3G on my old Bold. since i got my 8900, i havent dropped a call at all.
    12-08-09 06:36 AM
    last time i dropped a call was before i was able to disable 3G on my old Bold. since i got my 8900, i havent dropped a call at all.
    My Pearl would drop a call about once a month in the Raleigh/Durham area, but my 8900 has been the same way: no dropped calls yet so far.

Actually, where I understand this is a PR move by AT&T, I do have to give them credit for trying to get more feedback from customers in locations. Hopefully they can roll this out to other devices (but understandably they would have done this first with the iPhone: largest base + as of now exclusive phone)
    12-08-09 11:49 AM
    Well it figures it would be Iphone since I was told today that my problems are because of Iphone use.
    Maybe they should give it to BB customers first but they don't give a crap.
    Still I would also like to know how it works if you have no service in the area you have to report.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 02:13 PM
    I was talking to a guy the other day who used to work for a company contracted to verizon. His whole job was to make calls and log how the service was in a given location. Kind of like a "can you hear me now" guy. More than clever marketing?

12-08-09 04:57 PM
    That'd be awesome, I will mark my home like 100 times for dropped & failed calls.

12-08-09 07:21 PM
    It's coming to blackberry soon. If you have no service I believe it still figures out your location somehow, or you do it and when u get service you can post details on where exactly you where and find it on the map I guess?
    12-08-09 08:34 PM
    hahahahaha, Exactly. Also, dropped calls occur for me 99.99 percent of the time while I am in motion..in other words, driving. Driving mostly at 70 miles per hour. What am I going to do? Swerve into the shoulder to 'mark the spot'? C-monnn already.
    I will get this, and I'm going to use it till it breaks.
    12-13-09 05:21 PM
    Hahahahahahahaha................that would be a lot of spot marking !!!!!!!!!! then again they'll probably have an automated bs software to deal with such an incredible number of submissions.......sounds like another placebo thingy.......
    Yes and we still do have an account with them, regretfully so and not for long !
    12-13-09 05:43 PM
    Seems like they would be better off marking areas where service actually works. Be easier on them with less reports that way.
    12-14-09 03:29 PM
    I was playing with the application this past weekend when I downloaded it. It seems you can go to the map, mark where you're dropping the calls without being in the area, and sending it in. Most of the people giving bad reviews on the app store are thos ethat haven't really tried the application yet, but just want to make ******** remarks.

I'll be playing with it a bit more tomorrow/wed on my days off and see if I can get it to work in the area i know that doesn't work in Idaho.
    12-14-09 04:30 PM
    Seems like they would be better off marking areas where service actually works. Be easier on them with less reports that way.
    Roflllll that's hilarious

12-15-09 09:23 PM
    at&t cares! Uhuh!

at&t will tell you to avoid those dead spots.

This is the same BS when PacBell GSM rolled out, support told me to keep walking until there's a signal!
    12-16-09 06:10 PM
    Same here with the whole 3g thing had a bold and iphone and had some trouble, but it looks like ATT's Edge network is rock solid, switched to an 8900 and ive never dropped or had a failed call with it yet...
    12-17-09 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD