09-04-09 10:24 PM
    Only on AT&T rofl....
    09-04-09 10:40 PM
    I'm running that build. No issues here VVM kicks ***!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 10:43 PM
    I don't have any issues, so I intend to keep .297 until something better comes along.

I love VVM!

09-04-09 10:51 PM
    My 2 theories (being mostly sarcastic)...

1) ATT losing minutes from people who no longer have to dial to check traditional VM.
    2) ATT network getting data overload from all the VVM messages that are sent to the phones.
    09-04-09 11:25 PM
    My 2 theories (being mostly sarcastic)...

1) ATT losing minutes from people who no longer have to dial to check traditional VM.
    2) ATT network getting data overload from all the VVM messages that are sent to the phones.
    A serious reply to a "mostly sarcastic" post:

1) AT&T probably doesn't make much on minute overages now anyways, with the Rollover

2) I could partially see this, especially since VVM defaults to download messages to 'Auto Downloads: Yes'. But, on the other hand, BlackBerry Bold count with VVM installed is probably rather low (based on general consumer awareness, but then again maybe a lot Bold users are pretty good on keeping up)

I'm also wondering if there may be a 3G/2G switching configuration issue/incompatiblity, for low coverage areas, in the firmware from BlackBerry or AT&T's equipment. I haven't confirmed it, but I was having some sporadic coverage changes in low 3G signal areas (3G->EDGE->no network detection, but 3 bars). This very well could have been because of the areas I was working in this week (varies)
    Last edited by joemecu; 09-05-09 at 12:24 AM.
    09-05-09 12:14 AM
    I haven't issues with 3G or 2G. The switch has been fine on the rare times I've used it. 3G coverage has been good here, so I only switched to 2G once since I started running .297.

09-05-09 12:26 AM
    A serious reply to a "mostly sarcastic" post:

1) AT&T probably doesn't make much on minute overages now anyways, with the Rollover

2) I could partially see this, especially since VVM defaults to download messages to 'Auto Downloads: Yes'. But, on the other hand, BlackBerry Bold count with VVM installed is probably rather low (based on general consumer awareness, but then again maybe a lot Bold users are pretty good on keeping up)

I'm also wondering if there may be a 3G/2G switching configuration issue/incompatiblity, for low coverage areas, in the firmware from BlackBerry or AT&T's equipment. I haven't confirmed it, but I was having some sporadic coverage changes in low 3G signal areas (3G->EDGE->no network detection, but 3 bars). This very well could have been because of the areas I was working in this week (varies)
    There is no data overload on VVM. They don't use that much data regardless. If I had to think of a reason your last paragraph about switching between 2G and 3G is probably the culprit. I couldn't say for sure but it does sound like a reasonable assessment and if you're having the problem, it's a certainty that others are having the same problem.
    09-05-09 12:54 AM
    It could be voice mail related. I have noticed that the VVM are taking longer and longer to get to my phone. From a couple of seconds at first to up to a minute earlier yesterday.
    Then last night, one came about 1.5 hours after the missed call!!!!
    09-05-09 06:01 AM
    This is interesting- I've been spending days with ATT Tech Support to figure out why my phone drops calls in less than a minute (usually less than 10 seconds). This all started... after I upgraded to .297 with VVM. They seem to think I need a new device which now means no VVM

I also noticed that the last VVM took 5 hours to get to my device....
    09-05-09 09:15 AM
    I'm having switch issues, my phone resorts back to EDGE a lot more now than it did with the original build.
    09-05-09 10:01 AM
    No problems for me with this build. Bold is very fast, I love it!
    09-05-09 10:45 AM
    I'm having switch issues, my phone resorts back to EDGE a lot more now than it did with the original build.
    seeing the same issue. My phone is on EDGE half the time even when I am in good 3G coverage area.
    09-05-09 10:51 AM
    There is no data overload on VVM. They don't use that much data regardless. If I had to think of a reason your last paragraph about switching between 2G and 3G is probably the culprit. I couldn't say for sure but it does sound like a reasonable assessment and if you're having the problem, it's a certainty that others are having the same problem.
    That's a good point on VVM data use. If they're like the Voice Note files on the Bold, they are heavily compressed .amr files (4.75-12.20kbits/sec, according to Wikipedia notes, assuming they are correct).

My 3G/2G switching problem is mostly speculation, as I haven't fully tested it, but it seems a few more reports that came in above corroborate it. Even so, it's not enough of a sample to say either way, and I haven't done any sort of thorough testing. So, without numbers to back it up, it's merely heresy, until confirmed from AT&T, or a lot of other users. Either way, I don't know the reason, but hopefully AT&T does, and is working to get it fixed.
    Last edited by joemecu; 09-05-09 at 10:59 AM.
    09-05-09 10:56 AM
    I would have to say i am glad that verizon does the extensive testing it does on software before it sets it loose on the mass.
    09-05-09 11:08 AM
    I really like the OS .297 build. As I mentioned before, IT/developers and accountants should running the world to slow the rush of inadequately tested devices and OS platforms to make a quick buck in the short term but hurting the customers and their long-term profits that would be more substantial with better tested devices and OS. Whenever the Bold 9700 comes to market, the device and OS 5.0 should be thoroughly tested. I would not mind it being released in 2010 Q1 rather than Black Friday or Christmas 2009. If they are released early, I will delay my purchase for at lease 4-6 months after release.
    09-05-09 11:18 AM
    i dont even care i just want the facebook 1.7 to come out so i can upgrade to 5.0 os
    09-05-09 11:52 AM
    I Just Got Off The Phone With A Data Rep From At&t And I May Have Some Answers To Question. At The Time The Upgraded Software Version 4.6.0.297 For The Bold And Other Compatible Devices Are Experiencing Some Difficulties When Running On The 3g Network. Visual Voice Mail Seems To Be Affected. To Fix This Problem You Can Select To Use 2g Only (edge) By Going To Manage Connections,mobile Network Options Then Network Mode And Switch To 2g This Is A Temporary Fix But Of Course You Wont Be On The 3g Network Which Allows You To Use Data And Phone At The Same Time And Of Course Its Speed. I Must Say That Everyone Is Not Affected But To Avoid Bugs And Glitches Download The 4.6.0.298 Version And Save It On Your Desktop And If You Experience Problems Do The Down Grad In Your Bb Desktop Manager.
    09-05-09 12:03 PM
    No problems with the system here in Peru or in Chile. I have used it since it came out and everything seems fine. Takes a little longer to restart and occasionally seems to freeze then come back. Nothing I can't live with. Will keep it and then wait for the 5 version before another upgrade/ update
    09-05-09 12:05 PM
    I would have to say i am glad that verizon does the extensive testing it does on software before it sets it loose on the mass.
    I was under the impression that all carriers do this. Testing doesn't always catch everything. Sometimes your customers find out issues the hard way. I know that one, from personal experience.
    09-05-09 12:58 PM
    Running 3 phones up here in the mountains evergreen co zero problems. in fact 1 dead area for years, we all went through there last night wham 3G lasted about 3 miles. So I guess who knows. So far so good to me it ain't broke so till it is, no fix.

Jarad
    09-05-09 01:03 PM
    If you aren't having issues and/or don't use VVM, what is the problem? I am just tweaked that the OS was rushed out and I use the "rush" very loosely. I would rather AT&T/RIM release devices less frequently and test the devices and OS more thoroughly even if it takes more time and hurts short-term revenue. In the long run, better devices/OS make for better profits and happy/repeat customers which is the goal no matter what.
    09-05-09 01:11 PM
    I am on the new update with no problems, you won't see me downgrading unless some come up...
    09-05-09 02:15 PM
    I was under the impression that all carriers do this. Testing doesn't always catch everything. Sometimes your customers find out issues the hard way. I know that one, from personal experience.
    Actually no they have two way different processes. Now i am not saying that we catch everything but what verizon does test is the comman fuctions of the phone ie. SMS , MMS, Voicemail , Email , data connections through out the entire country. Verizon is real big on testing calls dropped and (dead attempts) dead attpempts is when you press send and you don't hear a ring it just says calling. Verizon spends the most time and money on testing and expanding. I am not by any means saying that they are the best, but i am saying that our tech team works the hardest at keeping a functional network. All in all testing is the most important thing to any service you provide. Now on the defence side for ATT , Rim's job when it comes to software is building it to the point where it is stable and will not cause the phone to crash, it is then up to the carrier to finish off the network end as far as testing. This is where verizon takes way more time in testing then other carriers. When i said earlier about they are 2 way different processes , that is because verizon will reject software more than any other carrier for the smallest errors. Where other companies will go with saying " well 90% of this works it passes" Verizon will say it is not a 100% with the network we don't want any crashes" and they will fail it. When software is failed it is returned to the manufactures with the list of errors to be corrected.
    09-05-09 02:50 PM
    Here's another vote for the 3G/2G issue. I haven't seen so much EDGE on my phone since I bought it. I'd rather not downgrade, but here's hoping they fix it soon.
    09-05-09 02:53 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD