Un-carrier 12 is T-Mobile One, the end of data buckets and arrival of one unlimited plan - TmoNews

Key points:

-Unlimited talk text, and on-device high speed data+2G hotspot data with autopay, ($5 more without autopay): $70 for the first line, $50 for line 2, $20 for lines 3-8, $30 for lines 9-
    -5GB high speed hotspot data $15 (per line? per account?)
    -Binge On mandatory, if you want to watch videos at better speeds and quality: $25 per line
    -International Talk $15 per line
    -"If you like your plan, you can keep your plan"
    -New "T-Mobile One" plan begins September 6. Late edit: $50/2GB, $65/6GB plans will stay.
    -Net neutrality is dead.
    Last edited by raino; 08-18-16 at 07:16 PM.
    08-18-16 11:53 AM
    #OligarchsForPrison2016, Legere first.
    raino and bruce73 like this.
    08-18-16 12:25 PM
    So it looks like the $50/2GB and $65/6GB plans will be staying...for now. This was not announced initially, so I'm guessing some of the backlash finally has caused one reversal.
    08-18-16 07:18 PM
    Reddit panties are in a bunch. I sudpect a trail of pitchforks and torches are heading to Seattle.

I sure hope my Harbor Mobile plan doesn't get dropped. It is not like I am grandfathered in a tmobile plan directly since I am not the account holder.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 09:13 PM
    Reddit panties are in a bunch. I sudpect a trail of pitchforks and torches are heading to Seattle.

I sure hope my Harbor Mobile plan doesn't get dropped. It is not like I am grandfathered in a tmobile plan directly since I am not the account holder.

Posted via CB10
    Last plan changes did not affect Harbor Mobile customers. I doubt these will too. That's a full t-mobile business acount, not a mvno.

But yeah, the BingeOn thing will burn them. It was logical and acceptable to raise prices as the network improved, but they are playing with fire on the net neutrality. I'm gonna wait a few days to see how it plays out before I issue formal complaints to the company (and if they deploy, to the FCC)

Posted via CB10 on me red Blackberry Passport
    08-19-16 01:01 AM
    Last plan changes did not affect Harbor Mobile customers. I doubt these will too. That's a full t-mobile business acount, not a mvno.
    Yes, but isn't HM the business account holder, not the customers themselves? While TMO just stopped new signups, AT&T dropped them altogether for this shady behavior. TMO probably needs the sub numbers HM brings, otherwise they too might have done it.

But yeah, the BingeOn thing will burn them. It was logical and acceptable to raise prices as the network improved, but they are playing with fire on the net neutrality. I'm gonna wait a few days to see how it plays out before I issue formal complaints to the company (and if they deploy, to the FCC)
    The EFF guy who had originally analyzed Binge On doesn't seem to be a fan:

senior staff technologist Jeremy Gillula told the Daily Dot the organization is still gathering information regarding T-Mobile's unlimited data plan. But he noted, "From what we've read thus far it seems like T-Mobile's new plan to charge its customers extra to not throttle video runs directly afoul of the principle of net neutrality."
    Gillula also said the decision to limit video streaming quality may also violate the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) Open Internet Order, which he explained "explicitly said that ISPs can't throttle traffic based on its type, or charge customers more in order to avoid discriminatory throttling."
    08-19-16 01:21 PM
    Yes, but isn't HM the business account holder, not the customers themselves? While TMO just stopped new signups, AT&T dropped them altogether for this shady behavior. TMO probably needs the sub numbers HM brings, otherwise they too might have done it.

The EFF guy who had originally analyzed Binge On doesn't seem to be a fan:
    Harbor Mobile absolutely is the account owner. When I phone T-mobile CSR, I have to say I am an employee of Harbor Mobile.

I suppose Harbor Mobile is happy with the deal. They probably don't want to chance switching me to AT$T because I might drop the account. Basically it is like printing money for them, so don't rock the boat.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 09:13 PM
    They probably don't want to chance switching me to AT$T because I might drop the account. Basically it is like printing money for them, so don't rock the boat.
    I don't think they (HM) can. AT&T dropped them; not just prohibited new signups like TMO did...everyone who was an AT&T customer through HM was terminated.

Harbor's a closed service now. Customers left are the ones like you--people who got in before TMO told them to stop signing up new people.
    08-19-16 09:31 PM
    I don't think they (HM) can. AT&T dropped them; not just prohibited new signups like TMO did...everyone who was an AT&T customer through HM was terminated.

Harbor's a closed service now. Customers left are the ones like you--people who got in before TMO told them to stop signing up new people.
    I used the Google on the interwebs. There doesn't seem to be much left of Harbor Mobile. On Howard, they are suggesting the 4G Antenna Shop, which I'm also a customer of. I have a LTE gateway at home. It sure beats my old DSL, plus I could finally drop my landline. The drawback is a capped service, but fine considering my BlackBerry has an unlimited plan.

The Tmo data plan now matches the 4G Antenna Shop plan. However I avoid state taxes.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 04:12 PM
    Interesting. I spoke with the founder of HM a few times about site and branding a few times. Never knew that's how the customers were classed. They had pretty crazy growth and got things started beyond cheap.

I am a member of EFF and was super pissed when they enabled BingeOn by default on my unlimited accounts. But I think it would have been fine to leave it as a feature customers could turn on to save data, especially when tethering. Where it totally lost me is once money was introduced to turn it off. That's pretty close to the definition of paying for a fast lane.

It would have been acceptable to create new speed tiers like DSL/Cable service is sold, but it just doesn't scale to a wireless provider dealing with congested areas.

08-20-16 04:19 PM
    Interesting. I spoke with the founder of HM a few times about site and branding a few times. Never knew that's how the customers were classed. They had pretty crazy growth and got things started beyond cheap.

I am a member of EFF and was super pissed when they enabled BingeOn by default on my unlimited accounts. But I think it would have been fine to leave it as a feature customers could turn on to save data, especially when tethering. Where it totally lost me is once money was introduced to turn it off. That's pretty close to the definition of paying for a fast lane.

It would have been acceptable to create new speed tiers like DSL/Cable service is sold, but it just doesn't scale to a wireless provider dealing with congested areas.

Harbor Mobile unlimited plan is:

1) subject to deprioritization
    2) 5Gbytes on tether then slow speed
    3) does get binge on/off
    4) no international roaming
    5) domestic roaming like postpaid

So it is better than a MetroPCS account, which I believe don't have the domestic roaming partners, such as they are.

I occasionally get a podcast mp3 download data rate reduced, as if Tmo thinks I'm streaming. I cancel the download and start it against and I get high speed (relatively speaking). Podcast downloads rarely exceed 3Mbps. They are probably throttled at the source.

I've done sftp to my VPS and I get about the Tmo speed test rate of 25mbps. I throttle Web services to 4mbps, but since I'm the only person doing sftp, let 'er rip.

My Huawei b890-66 is no faster than my Z10, even though it claims to be capable of 100mbps. I've run it on the internal antennas and also one external antenna. The external antenna is for camping, and experiment that keeps getting delayed. :-( The b890-66 can use two external antennas, but it isn't clear to me that would improve speed

Posted via CB10
    08-20-16 08:08 PM