I definitely wouldn't switch to Sprint.

As an aside, what is really sad about the situation is I remember the days when other carriers did things like block or hide Yahoo instant messenger and BlackBerry Maps, and Verizon blocked GPS unless you used their paid navigation app, and T-Mobile did none of that and offered the lowest price BIS. T-Mobile was very friendly to BlackBerry users. How things can change.
    08-14-14 06:32 PM
    I'm surprised some of you guys actually rely on WFC for your day to day coverage around home and work. If it's that bad, I would just switch--if not to AT&T or Verizon proper, then at least an MVNO.
    Except... when all carriers' coverage is just as bad where you live, or in this case, where I live. Did a conference call today, and about a half dozen calls, all on WFC. Works great for me. Must have.

What I don't get about Sprint is, isn't Google Voice fully integrated into their system?
    08-14-14 07:24 PM
    Except... when all carriers' coverage is just as bad where you live, or in this case, where I live. Did a conference call today, and about a half dozen calls, all on WFC. Works great for me. Must have.

What I don't get about Sprint is, isn't Google Voice fully integrated into their system?
    The house we bought a few years ago must be the only Verizon dead zone in the area, so I use a 3G network extender that really helps with calls.

Does T-mo offer network extenders? Not as convenient as using any wifi network, but would definitely solve the issue if the only places you don't get signal are at home and in your office (where you can practically set up and keep network extenders).

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    08-14-14 07:53 PM
    T-mobile used to sell picocells years ago. Those boxes are bad news since the hackers convert them to fake cell sites in order to hack phones.

I think wifi calling is better from the network perspective.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 07:58 PM
    Fair enough. My work location (immediate location) is like that too. But I can't imaging living in such a place, at least not without a couple of UMA backups

Good question. I do remember hearing that, and I'm not sure why they're shifting. AFAIK, their WFC is just on Androids so far.

Does T-mo offer network extenders? Not as convenient as using any wifi network, but would definitely solve the issue if the only places you don't get signal are at home and in your office (where you can practically set up and keep network extenders).
    They offer signal boosters, which will boost a signal as long as (a weak) one exists. You just have to call, have them confirm you're in a poor coverage area, and they give it to you for free as long as you're a customer, you just have to pay ~$10 for shipping. I remember reading they were actually backlogged for a while LOL.
    08-14-14 08:30 PM
    There are definitely days when I'm tempted.... I switched from Sprint last Fall and at least when I checked then, T-Mo is pretty unbeatable on prices for a family plan with 4 people. (I'm fortunate to work for a university and still qualify for a 15% "corporate" discount.) So I'm willing to put up with some coverage issues in order to save some $$$.
    I understand. Have you looked into getting a signal booster from them (as AnimalPak200 suggested?) If you're interested, give 611 a call, and see if they can qualify you for one.
    08-14-14 08:33 PM
    http://cel-fi.com/

But didn't they sell an internet based picocell for a brief period?

If the cel-fi really just uses a weak network signal, then it doesn't have an internet gateway for the hackers.

At Blackhat, they hacked a BlackBerry Z10 via a picocell, but not much information was given.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 11:10 PM
    I understand. Have you looked into getting a signal booster from them (as AnimalPak200 suggested?) If you're interested, give 611 a call, and see if they can qualify you for one.
    I'd heard that if your phone is WFC-capable, they expect you to use that rather than provide you with a signal booster. (Understandable from their perspective, given the cost of the extender.) Hmm, I wonder if they would provide a booster for a unbranded Z30?
    08-15-14 12:54 AM
    Wish WiFi calling could be ported to the Z30. :/

Blackberry and Android fan on T-Mobile
    08-15-14 11:24 AM
    I'd heard that if your phone is WFC-capable, they expect you to use that rather than provide you with a signal booster. (Understandable from their perspective, given the cost of the extender.) Hmm, I wonder if they would provide a booster for a unbranded Z30?
    I doubt that's true, that they expect you to make do with WFC for regular coverage. And I don't see why they should care about what phone you have. iPhones can't do WFC either right now, and you could have bought one from the Apple store, Verizon, or AT&T (i.e a comparable BYOD situation.)
    08-15-14 11:49 AM
    I doubt that's true, that they expect you to make do with WFC for regular coverage. And I don't see why they should care about what phone you have. iPhones can't do WFC either right now, and you could have bought one from the Apple store, Verizon, or AT&T (i.e a comparable BYOD situation.)
    My son is on AT&T with a booster the carrier gave him. It's... ok. Theoretically only good for outgoing calls. On the other hand my wife has an OS7 BBerry with UMA and when home she doesn't even know we don't have cell coverage.
    08-15-14 08:38 PM
    Cel-Fi T-Mobile signal boosters now available to buy from Nextivity (again) � TmoNews

Eligibility Requirements

• Postpaid account in good standing meaning it is not past due or delinquent.
    • Simple Choice No Credit does not qualify.
    • Credit class A, B, C, O, & L.
    • No future-dated rate plan change pending on the account. If there is, the system will not allow the booster to be ordered until the rate plan change has taken place or the pending rate plan change has been removed.
    • Customer must have at least 1 bar of T-Mobile 3G / 4G signal inside the building and has a T-Mobile or BYOD 3G / 4G capable device. Check for the 1 bar of service using NCI.
    • Employees are elgible for the RS1 signal booster only and may order through the proactive upgrade form.

My son is on AT&T with a booster the carrier gave him. It's... ok. Theoretically only good for outgoing calls. On the other hand my wife has an OS7 BBerry with UMA and when home she doesn't even know we don't have cell coverage.
    Looks like TMO uses a different method to boost the signal. And shiny new $575 device=improvement in the industry?
    08-15-14 09:24 PM
    I'm in an area that only has EDGE, so am not eligible for a free extender. I depend on wifi calling. So at the moment I'm quite torn between wanting the passport, and wanting to stay with t-mo.

Bob

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 08:24 PM
    Wifi calling is useless to me. Tried using it a few times and I was left clueless on how it worked so I disregarded it.
    I use BBM voice all the time anyways, don't need anything else

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 08:35 PM
    Wifi calling is useless to me. Tried using it a few times and I was left clueless on how it worked so I disregarded it.

Posted via CB10
    If you want a hand with it, let us know. Very useful function.
    08-17-14 12:22 AM
    I'm in an area that only has EDGE, so am not eligible for a free extender. I depend on wifi calling. So at the moment I'm quite torn between wanting the passport, and wanting to stay with t-mo.

Bob

Posted via CB10
    If that is Tmob EDGE, they are changing those sites to 4g or LTE. It had been my experience these LTE sites are more powerful than EDGE. In the past year, I have strong LTE service in places where EDGE barely worked. Of course I can't say the new equipment is on the same tower as the old equipment.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 04:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    You might not realise that, unlike BBM voice, wifi calling allows you to make real phone calls to ANY Phone anywhere - cells, old wire line phones l, etc. The recipient of a wifi call doesn't need anything special for the call to work. When traveling internationally or in any location where t-mobile signal is poor bit you still have access to a wifi Internet connection, it's a god send!

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    08-17-14 05:59 PM
    I didn't have it on my 8520 or 9810. Had it for a year on the Z10. Wouldn't make me not get a BlackBerry or switch networks. But the VoLTE is something that would have been nice.

I really don't see myself changing phones for a while. Only thing that could change that is a slider. (so I guess it will be a while)

Z30STA100-5 / 10.2.2.1531 / T-Mobile USA
    08-17-14 09:29 PM
    Since TMO does not support the Z30 and will likely not support any future BlackBerry 10 phone, then I am looking at moving to ATT. Without WiFi calling, T-Mobile is a low end service provider. This feature is the only thing that is keeping them in the market.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 08:56 AM
    Since TMO does not support the Z30 and will likely not support any future BlackBerry 10 phone, then I am looking at moving to ATT. Without WiFi calling, T-Mobile is a low end service provider. This feature is the only thing that is keeping them in the market.

Posted via CB10
    You might want to look into a MVNO that uses AT&T towers.

What you lack on MVNOs is roaming, but in my case, it is the lack of ability to roam on AT&T that is the issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 11:53 AM
    I switched back on Wi-Fi Calling at home on Friday and I got the REG99 error, even after two reboots. I checked the Emergency address registered to my account and it was there, so I figured I would need to call Customer Care for them to re-transmit some code to my SIM. Overnight though, Wi-Fi Calling connected and I was able to make a long phone call on Saturday without any random disconnects.
    08-18-14 12:09 PM
    You might want to look into a MVNO that uses AT&T towers.

What you lack on MVNOs is roaming, but in my case, it is the lack of ability to roam on AT&T that is the issue.

Posted via CB10
    Oddly never had any issue roaming onto AT&T. But may be I'm luckily hitting sweet spots.
    08-18-14 01:02 PM
    Either you're in an area covered by a roaming agreement, or else you have no signal.

Posted with the Diva's Z10.
    08-18-14 01:08 PM
    For me, wifi calling is an absolute must. I travel abroad weekly, and I'd get killed on roaming charges if not for the wifi calling feature, as I stay at my own office abroad all day long so I don't need to turn on the cell signal. Even when Tmo has the most reasonable roaming rates, they add up quickly to the bill when you're 15-18 days a month abroad if you talk for an average of 800 minutes on that timespan. Absolute must!
    08-18-14 01:34 PM
    For me, wifi calling is an absolute must. I travel abroad weekly, and I'd get killed on roaming charges if not for the wifi calling feature, as I stay at my own office abroad all day long so I don't need to turn on the cell signal. Even when Tmo has the most reasonable roaming rates, they add up quickly to the bill when you're 15-18 days a month abroad if you talk for an average of 800 minutes on that timespan. Absolute must!
    +1... and if your friends etc. want to call you from the states, they don't need to funk around with another number, just yours. And it's still free.
    08-18-14 02:21 PM
99 1234