94% of BlackBerry trade-ins switched to other platforms during promo | TmoNewsTmoNews

I just thought that this was interesting after reports that getting a BlackBerry from TMO was like pulling teeth.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 08:31 PM
    Not surprising at all...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 08:37 PM
    Here's the thing... if you took a phone in to trade it, and they didn't have a BB10 sitting there, would you wait, (and be without a phone until they got one), or would you take "whatever"? Especially if the sales staff is telling you how great the "whatever" is, and Blackberry is dead anyway and so outdated...

I'm amazed they got that much (from personal experiences at local cell phone retailers...)
    03-04-14 08:38 PM
    Gee, what a "surprise".

Just what they intended.
    southlander and web99 like this.
    03-04-14 08:39 PM
    Saw this coming right from the announcement, T-Mobile's deal was BS and they knew it. It was actually genius on their part...they got to look like the good guys apologizing to BlackBerry users for scorning them, all the while knowing most would switch to other devices anyway during the promotion with just a $50 difference. Was a scam all along.

Posted via CB10
    bruce73 likes this.
    03-04-14 08:42 PM
    I think that the "program" Was set up to promote other devices. If you trade in your phone and have to go without a phone since there were none at the store, you will be forced to pick another.

Posted via CB10
    web99 and Mack Gans like this.
    03-04-14 08:45 PM
    Yikes. In Blackberry's defense, they don't have any new devices to choose from.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    03-04-14 08:45 PM
    A couple of questions I would like to ask the writer:

1. How many people were trading in BBs bought on eBay, CL, etc. (i.e. people who may never have been BB users to begin with, ever) to avail of this offer?
    2. How many people are trading in their primary device and were willing to go without a phone for a day (since BB10 phones aren't sold in stores, and the best TMO can do is "expedited" shipping?)

And it looks like they've gone back to standard shipping for those buying BBs. How nice. Now instead of 1-3 days, a new buyer gets to wait 5-10. That'll sell units for sure. UnCarrier, y'all.
    leamago, MERCDROID and Mack Gans like this.
    03-04-14 08:46 PM

1. How many people were trading in BBs bought on eBay, CL, etc. (i.e. people who may never have been BB users to begin with, ever) to avail of this offer?
    That's a good point, but I'm not sure how TMo would know that?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    03-04-14 09:05 PM
    That's a good point, but I'm not sure how TMo would know that?
    It would be difficult to ascertain, I'd imagine. However, if they looked at the models being traded in (like, a 9900 vs. a 8130,) one could reach some fairly reasonable conclusions.

Regardless, I would not have come to this conclusion based on the data being cited:

Almost all of the customers trading in decided against sticking with their chosen brand
    03-04-14 09:13 PM
    Here's the thing... if you took a phone in to trade it, and they didn't have a BB10 sitting there, would you wait, (and be without a phone until they got one), or would you take "whatever"? Especially if the sales staff is telling you how great the "whatever" is, and Blackberry is dead anyway and so outdated...

I'm amazed they got that much (from personal experiences at local cell phone retailers...)
    Agree. Someone brought this up when the promotion was announced.

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    03-04-14 09:16 PM
    Here's the thing... if you took a phone in to trade it, and they didn't have a BB10 sitting there, would you wait, (and be without a phone until they got one), or would you take "whatever"?
    I think most people would wait a day or two for a device. Heck you see it all the time with iPhone/nexus users.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    sallenthornton and MERCDROID like this.
    03-04-14 09:19 PM

LOTS of people brought that up.

It was pretty obvious, to me.

1. T-Mobile announced last year they were dropping all retail sales of Blackberries.
    2. T-Mobile's website at the time the promo was announced had ONLY ONE Blackberry available: a REFURBISHED Q10. NO Z10, NO Z30.
    3. T-Mobile used to sell the Z10, then dropped it.
    4. T-Mobile has never shown ANY indication they were interested in the Z30.
    5. Legere in general I find smarmy and insincere, as well as his director of marketing.
    6. Based on the accounts shared by MANY people on Crackberry, the retail and phone sales staff were HEAVILY arm-twisting people who came in to take advantage of this promo to switch to other platforms. MANY of those salespeople were spewing blatant lies about the company. Just read all the threads here about it.
    7. T-Mobile's non-contract price on BlackBerry phones is anywhere from $130 to $160 more than VZW or AT&T prices on the same devices. So much for that "big fat $200 discount".

Like I said, "big surprise". Not.
    web99 and Irish Blues like this.
    03-04-14 09:40 PM
    "Hey guys, here's a great offer, save $200 off a phone if you trade in a BlackBerry. Just come to our store! You won't find a BB phone in sight and our reps will steer you to another platform. Also half of them have never heard of this promo. Or check online! You'll find some great refurbished Q10s which may or may not apply to the promo. Hurry, limited time offer! Oh, you want to switch platforms? You don't say…"
    Omnitech, web99, Mack Gans and 1 others like this.
    03-04-14 09:44 PM
    This whole T-Mobile saga is really very childish. SMH. Only in America.
    03-04-14 09:54 PM
    I guess TMO and BB are going to war and T-Mobile won this battle.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    03-04-14 10:08 PM
    I had two BB phones a 9780(which was my trade in phone) and a 9900. The Z10 was my phone of choice . i went over a year without having one, so whats waiting a day longer going to do? I still have my 9900 which i will keep because i love that phone. Hell i still have my wife's pearl that i can trade in tomorrow just to get her a new android phone, but i aint that nice.

lol
    03-04-14 10:17 PM
    This article is completely dense. I traded in a 5 year old 9700 to upgrade my daughter from an S3 to an iPhone. I saw people trading in 8100's to upgrade their kids or other family members from iPhones to galaxy phones. Very old BlackBerry devices were being used as coupons by people who switched a long time ago. This article is willfully ignorant.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73, dtarin, web99 and 4 others like this.
    03-04-14 10:25 PM
    This article is completely dense. I traded in a 5 year old 9700 to upgrade my daughter from an S3 to an iPhone. I saw people trading in 8100's to upgrade their kids or other family members from iPhones to galaxy phones. Very old BlackBerry devices were being used as coupons by people who switched a long time ago. This article is willfully ignorant.

Posted via CB10
    My thoughts exactly. Just gave my mom my old 9930 a couple of weeks ago, she loves it now but I'm sure if verizon had a trade in deal she would upgrade to a s3.

Hell I know people how have old 9000's in their drawers that still work but never use them. Don't see why somebody wouldn't trade a legacy device in for something a lot better. Too bad most of them are missing out on BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 10:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'd like to know how many people were 9900 owners?

? CB10 ?
    03-04-14 10:41 PM
    A couple of questions I would like to ask the writer:

2. How many people are trading in their primary device and were willing to go without a phone for a day (since BB10 phones aren't sold in stores, and the best TMO can do is "expedited" shipping?)

And it looks like they've gone back to standard shipping for those buying BBs. How nice. Now instead of 1-3 days, a new buyer gets to wait 5-10. That'll sell units for sure. UnCarrier, y'all.
    Good point, a lot I think, I saw several post on "other" tech sites of people doing exactly that, trading in phones bought on eBay just for a trade in, also lots of old "drawer" queens dug out and traded by people that had moved to other platforms years ago
    MERCDROID and Mack Gans like this.
    03-04-14 10:54 PM
    What a load of rubbish.. TMo's news release forgot to mention BlackBerry owners trading in were told TMO doesn't have BlackBerry phones or they can't sell them because they don't know how to complete the 'promised' transaction. Well... no kidding ppl will then feel at a loss and grab a different phone.

Btw, if you found a rep who did it right, you wouldn't be without your phone. You merely give them trade-in's IMEI number and mail that phone once the new one arrives. But tmo made it impossible for all but a few of us relentless folks.

I don't see myself staying with tmo much longer and I've been a long time loyal customer of theirs... even after husband left with the rest of our family plan.

Posted via CB10 Q10
    web99, Mack Gans and MERCDROID like this.
    03-04-14 11:01 PM
    I think BlackBerry needs to rethink their US strategy. Perhaps showing some testicular fortitude and just leave T-Mobile. Perhaps offer direct support for existing T-Mobile customers and special offers to switch them to another provider? I don't know. But for sure they need to offer some extra incentives all around in the US.
    web99 likes this.
    03-04-14 11:03 PM
    I think BlackBerry needs to rethink their US strategy. Perhaps showing some testicular fortitude and just leave T-Mobile. Perhaps offer direct support for existing T-Mobile customers and special offers to switch them to another provider? I don't know. But for sure they need to offer some extra incentives all around in the US.
    Yes indeed.. leave tmo. I don't like the way that press release was written. It's a customer service company, they aren't politicians, yet blatantly left out relevant info to slant results and story in their favor. Not one ounce of truth. Don't want to give them my money much longer.

Maybe BlackBerry needs open their own shops in US. Which carrier really has abundant supply in US anyway? Not sure if tmo services BlackBerry customers on their biz end any better. Anybody know? I can switch there and see but don't hold high hopes.

Posted via CB10 Q10
    03-04-14 11:08 PM
    Now T-Mobile is a villain...

If those people wanted Blackberry devices, they'd have had the carrier order one. If you're turning in old as hell legacy devices then using a loaner phone for a day or three probably won't kill you.

The reason why there are none in the stores is because they aren't selling, and the carrier won't just stock dozens of devices for a promotion when it's clear the general public isn't clamoring for them.

Verizon is having an Edge Up promotion (allowing contract customers to switch to edge and upgrade in some cases over 18 month earlier than they otherwise would have) and almost no one is getting any BB10 devices. iPhones and Galaxy devices are flying off the shelves, but the Blackberries aren't.

It does not matter if there are any in stock, if no one (relatively speaking) wants them.

People here are good at drumming up conspiracy theories, so you have to take all that with a grain of salt. The people who actually want a BB10 device... They are not put off by having to wait a day or three for it to come in.
    03-04-14 11:35 PM
533 123 ...