Bought a BB 8120 at mall kiosk at Florida Mall in Orlando, called "Mobile Etc." Salesman there told me to buy a standard plan, keep it for two weeks, then call T-Mobile and have the plan changed to the "Hotspots" plan. I signed the contract based on his erroneous deception.

When I discovered that Hotspots was an add-on, not a replacement, I returned to the Kiosk. Of course, the salesman was not there, but was promised he'd call me.

A week later, not having heard from this kiosk person, I wrote to T-mo customer service in Alburquerque. Today they responded, saying if I was dissatisfied with anything, I could return it and cancel my contract with no penalty fee. This is not the resolution I expected.

I've heard so much good about Blackberry and T-Mobile, I don't know what to think, or do. I seems that this kid who occupies the mall booth may be in training to become a slick used car dealer, but that would insult used-car dealers...

My next move will be to contact the Florida Secretary of State to report this operation, and their questionable practices. Your opinions would also be appreciated.
    Last edited by bobs415; 06-19-08 at 09:02 PM.
    06-19-08 08:54 PM
    If they're allowing you to cancel your account without penalty I don't think you have a leg to stand on with T-mo. The independent reseller of their service is another issue all together.

Never buy from a 2nd party reseller always buy direct from a corporate store.
    06-19-08 08:58 PM
    I was told that I could unlock a t-mo without being a t-mo customer from a t-mo rep. I found a work around for unlocking the device. Can not bash all saleman but some will grin f()@k you.
    06-19-08 09:03 PM
    Bought a BB 8120 at mall kiosk at Florida Mall in Orlando, called "Mobile Etc." Salesman there told me to buy a standard plan, keep it for two weeks, then call T-Mobile and have the plan changed to the "Hotspots" plan. I signed the contract based on his erroneous deception.

When I discovered that Hotspots was an add-on, not a replacement, I returned to the Kiosk. Of course, the salesman was not there, but was promised he'd call me.

A week later, not having heard from this kiosk person, I wrote to T-mo customer service in Alburquerque. Today they responded, saying if I was dissatisfied with anything, I could return it and cancel my contract with no penalty fee. This is not the resolution I expected.

I've heard so much good about Blackberry and T-Mobile, I don't know what to think, or do. I seems that this kid who occupies the mall booth may be in training to become a slick used car dealer, but that would insult used-car dealers...

My next move will be to contact the Florida Secretary of State to report this operation, and their questionable practices. Your opinions would also be appreciated.
    Maybe do your homework next time before trusting "that kid who occupies the mall booth may be in training to become a slick used car dealer".
    06-19-08 09:07 PM
    Maybe do your homework next time before trusting "that kid who occupies the mall booth may be in training to become a slick used car dealer".
    That was a harsh way of putting it, but I would have to agree. Never go into large purchases like cell phones or large appliances without researching at least a little first.

Anyways, obviously it's a little late for that. What kind of resolution are you looking for?
    06-19-08 10:43 PM
    I think this is a good lesson on buying cell phones!

Although you are in a hard situation, it is a perfect time to learn what to do (and what not to do) when getting a cell phone and researching carriers, etc.

Your problem stemmed from one thing, trusting a crappy mall vendor when signing a contract and purchasing a device!

I do not understand why you would not take TMobiles offer that they proposed to you when you called the Customer Support. TMo is known for their support and they are doing everything they can to help you... why not take the early termination fee and full refunds?? It would be stupid not to!! They are basically allowing you to get out of this "scam" contract for FREE!! So, what is wrong with that??

Once you get outta the contract, then I would worry about the other issues:

1) Deal with the mall vendor how you like...

2) Get a trusted contract from TMobile by calling them or on their website... also if there is an actual TMobile Store near you, then you can go there as well. I have always done mine online or over the phone (just to save the hassle of a rep trying to con me into something I don't need, when I already know what I want... hahaha)

As for the sh*tty experience with a mall vendor... what did you expect? lol

I would never do business with them (or sign away 2 yrs of my cell life to those b@stards)!!! So... get outta that contract for FREE as TMo suggested and then talk to TMo directly for any other help you need
    06-20-08 09:17 AM
    This isn't even T-Mobile deceiving you it's the guy at the kiosk for a 3rd party company. If you want the most accurate information you can get I would go straight to the Tmo site or at least a real Tmo store instead of just a authorized dealer. Most of those guys don't know what they're talking about anyway.
    06-21-08 12:04 AM
    Yeah this company, at least from what I have dealt with them, has been a little shady. They usually will only hire 16-18 year old kids that have no sales/cell phone experience. This company is worst than Best Buy in my opinion. Then again I don't like most sales people since I did it myself for so long. Well hope all goes well for you after this incident

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 03:22 AM
    authorized dealers may b 3rd party but u could just as easily be conned be a corporate store rep. i wrk at an authorized dealer and we get great VOC ratings and excellent secret shops so no one can judge a business soley on it being just an authorized dealer
    07-22-08 10:49 AM
    Hi I am from South America, Venezuela, I was in the USA on my vacations and me and my girlfriend bought a BlackBerry 8900 in Mobile ETC in the Florida Mall.. but both devices are presenting to many issues (software and hardware) so we are triying to call mobile etc but the phones arent working... the guy who sold to us the devices was a young one and I think it was latin.. we want some anwser but we cant contact them... it seems that the devices are refurbished..

how did you solve your problem..please help
    11-26-09 03:23 PM
    We didnt bought the phones with a contract with Tmo, there were unlocked..we tried calling to tmo but they say that they cant help us with the guarantee...
    11-26-09 03:26 PM
    authorized dealers may b 3rd party but u could just as easily be conned be a corporate store rep. i wrk at an authorized dealer and we get great VOC ratings and excellent secret shops so no one can judge a business soley on it being just an authorized dealer
    You are correct. Not all indirect dealers are bad. Unfortunately there are a large number of Fly By Night indirects that cranks out acts by lying in any way possible. Generally speaking Mall Kiosks are some of the worst I've seen. High traffic, low training. The hire without experience, because anyone who has sold phones before would balk at the practices they're expected to use. I've worked with a few converts who came from such stores and quit.

To the OP; As people have mentioned already, what resolution are you looking for? You've been offered a free out by T-Mobile. I would suggest taking it and if you want their service, set up correctly, go to a corporate store.
    11-26-09 04:22 PM
    Hi I am from South America, Venezuela, I was in the USA on my vacations and me and my girlfriend bought a BlackBerry 8900 in Mobile ETC in the Florida Mall.. but both devices are presenting to many issues (software and hardware) so we are triying to call mobile etc but the phones arent working... the guy who sold to us the devices was a young one and I think it was latin.. we want some anwser but we cant contact them... it seems that the devices are refurbished..

how did you solve your problem..please help
    Unfortunately you will have to get a hold of Mobile ETC. T-Mobile can't help you if you don't have an account, and RIM will refuse if the phones are unlocked.
    11-26-09 04:26 PM
    Next time go to a actual t mobile store and not a third party retailer and don't let them sell u always do your home work when it comes to signing a contract

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 05:04 PM

Is that the store by the food court? I don't think it's that one, I mean I bought 2 blackberry from some guy there and so far no problems with any of them. They have a lot of customers and even the guy gives discount if you buy 2 blackberries or more and the funny thing is that he's not the owner.
    11-26-09 09:58 PM
    True. That and the fact that T-Mobile offers a stand-alone home service pricing solution. If the OP simply wanted home service, he could have simply signed up for that program. My question is why isn't anyone offering this as an option now?

I also get tired of these screaming theme titles about being deceived. T-Mobile is a very credible company and they do a great job. They were also recently awarded an ethics award for being the most credible company in the mobile business.

There is nothing deceptful about this company. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding but T-Mobile has apologized for the misunderstanding apparently involving a 3rd-party independent operator and offered the OP a complete out and yet he's here complaining. Fishy. Just take the "out" and be on your way. Seems simple enough.
    11-26-09 10:08 PM
    You SIGNED a written contract about something a mall kiosk ***** TOLD you. I could tell you the emperor of Eritrea will come wash your car weekly and get you to sign a contract that doesnt even remotely state that. You'd be sitting in your driveway with a bucket and a sponge, wouldnt you?

Read before you sign. ALL CONTRACTS ARE BUYER BEWARE...
    11-27-09 08:11 AM
    Read before you sign. ALL CONTRACTS ARE BUYER BEWARE...
    I appreciate the spirit of what you are saying but let's be practical. Not all of us are lawyers. And not all of us have time to sit in a mall and put our green eye shades on and sit there with reading glasses reviewing legalese for a 1/2 hour before getting a new cell phone. Realistically, no one does this.

I once was doing a contract with a lawyer and the contract was several pages long. Multiple signatures throughout the contract were required. As I started the process of asking the attorney to sign and began explaining what each clause meant, he waved me off and said ... "just point to where you want me to sign and let's dispense with your explanations." I was surprised and responded ... "as an attorney I would think you'd want to know what each provision means and would want me to thoroughly explain the contract to you." To which he replied ... "there's nothing in your contract that I, or any other competent lawyer, couldn't get out of so let's just get this done."

If attorneys don't bother reading contracts, do you really think the average Joe is going to?

Among reasonable people, there is an expectation that neither party will intentionally mislead the other. Apparently there was some confusion in the transaction that started this whole thing and T-Mobile has offered to simply void the transaction. How much fairer could they be?

I'm still fascinated as to how someone would seriously believe you could get a UMA only rate plan for a cell phone. Amazing to me.
    Last edited by berryite; 11-27-09 at 12:20 PM.
    11-27-09 12:17 PM

Your qualm is with Mobile ETC, not T-Mobile. If you had done the right thing, gone to a corporate store, and then this happened, then you could blame T-Mobile. Since you went 3rd Party, ultimately you're going to be eating up the cost of the brick you bought. T-Mobile letting you out of the contract w/o an ETF is the only remedy that they can offer you and is a pretty good one considering they are eating a $200 ETF to be kind to you from not doing your homework.
    11-28-09 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD