I'm on a trial with an AT&T 9700. Just started using it today and really liking it, but already dropped a call in San Francisco, which is probably the worst AT&T spot in the country.

So I'm thinking of moving to T-Mo just for the 9700 (again, love it). I was on T-Mo when they just started rolling out their 3G in 2007, it was slow and lots of Edge but it worked.

How is it now, 3G and call reliability? Should I expect dropped calls, or is it just while on the move?

I just gotta have the 9700!

Thanks.
    12-08-09 02:07 AM
    I'm in SF too, I've got the 9700 and it has been perfect. I get 3g everywhere in the city except for some parts of the mission...that, combined with uma in my apt, and I'm loving tmo and my move att

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 01:57 AM
    I'm on a trial with an AT&T 9700. Just started using it today and really liking it, but already dropped a call in San Francisco, which is probably the worst AT&T spot in the country.

So I'm thinking of moving to T-Mo just for the 9700 (again, love it). I was on T-Mo when they just started rolling out their 3G in 2007, it was slow and lots of Edge but it worked.
    As a point of reference, AT&T was just rated as the worst carrier in the country by Consumer Reports. Just so you know.

When Cingular and the former AT&T Wireless merged, the FCC required that they disassociate themselves with the joint networks they shared with T-Mobile (California and New York). As a consequence, AT&T had to sell their share in these networks and T-Mobile bought them out (few billion as I remember). AT&T was allowed to continue to put traffic on T-Mobile's network as a renter while they built a new network in California. In AT&T's defense, it isn't easy building new networks. Getting all those permits for new towers and so forth. Their service capability is still growing.

I use T-Mobile all over California and never have a problem. AT&T is expensive and has a lot of service issues. Consumer Reports didn't rate them the worst carrier in the nation for no reason. I'd recommend T-Mobile. Come on over, the water is warm.
    12-09-09 12:56 PM
    Tmobile works great in SF. I used to NOT get service with AT&T IN MY BEDROOM or going up the stairs to my house. I switched to T-Mobile almost 2 years ago and haven't had ANY problems with the service at all. Plus there's a T-Mobile store across the street from my house and they're always really nice.
    12-19-09 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD