I am thinking of swithing to T-mobile to get a 8220 but worried about their coverage
    I checked the coverage map online
    which shows no coverage along part of my business route
    however the T-mobile rep said that when no coverage T-mobile usually picks up signal from others, such as ATT
    But I wonder how good and how smooth the roaming usually is.
    I know there is a 14 day return policy but it is troublesome and the activation fee is non-refundable.
    Last edited by redhater; 10-29-08 at 07:57 PM.
    10-29-08 07:44 PM
    Tmo is pretty good at locating a signal unless there is no signal to grab.
    10-29-08 08:22 PM
    I have had good luck with T-Mobile, but it really does come down to where you are and where you need to have a signal. And I tell you from experience: don't believe a thing a Sales Rep tells you about coverage - GO BY THE PUBLISHED MAP - - if the map says no coverage, then you'll have no coverage ...... sales reps are under extreme pressure to do activations so they'll say just about anything to get you to activate - it's their life blood !!!
    10-29-08 09:16 PM
    Same thing happend to me when I spoke to the sales person before moving out here to Texas Tech to attend college. On the map it says no coverage in most of my area, but yet I always get amazing signal!! I'm usually on ATT, or other weird wireless companies that I have never heard of. Tmobile doesn't even exist here in Lubbock Texas. We don't have a store yet suprises me how my signal is amazing!

Poeple are going to say this, and that but honestly the best thing is going to be getting the actual phone, and trying it out personally for 14 days on tmobile. Thats what I would do.
    10-29-08 10:10 PM
    TexTechKid: Poeple are going to say this, and that but honestly the best thing is going to be getting the actual phone, and trying it out personally for 14 days on tmobile. Thats what I would do.

I totally agree - give it a shot on the 14 day deal
    10-29-08 10:41 PM
    test driving phones is fun!
    10-30-08 12:34 AM
    While, testing phone could be fine, but since I am planning to buy the phone online to get a better price, I don't know how easy it is to return them. Plus $70 activation for a family plan is not refundable, so it does feel some hassle to me

I guess I will give it a try anyway, spent too much time reading on this site, have to get a BB now.
    10-30-08 01:56 PM
    Tmobile does not use AT&T in ALL areas where at&t has service and tmobile does not. There are several locations when i can see an available network that Tmobile will not register on it. So i would go by the maps, they are usually pretty accurate.

Having said that, using a tmobile phone and an at&t or verizon pre-paid phone with conditional call forwarding for when there is no Tmo coverage works well in my experience.
    11-01-08 11:57 AM
    I have had T-mobile for a year now, and I do not have many problems with signal. The only times I really have issues is when I am at my Uncle's house in Drexel Hill, PA. I can usually just tap into a wifi connection with my 8320, and I am good to go. However, I would go by the maps, and also test driving the phone might be worth the $70. You can always return the phones, and order new ones online.
    11-01-08 12:01 PM
    I don't think the hand over from T-Mobile to AT&T works that well. I live in South Florida and my T-Mobile coverage is great. My daughter lives in upstate NY (Glens Falls area) and has AT&T. When I went to visit her I had little to no reception when I was off the main highway area. I didn't think about this when I signed up and to be honest it is not that big a problem for a visit 2 or 3 times a year. Now maybe there is something to the phone I need to do and the next time I go there I will check with tech support.
    11-01-08 02:39 PM
    Other than actual areas that I have zero connectivity on certain streets or towns. I have pretty darn great service with T-Mobile. I've been with them for at least 8 years now.
    11-01-08 04:54 PM
    I have excellent coverage on the street in NYC and in NJ however when I go in some bars, especially the ones that are in basement locations which is common in NYC I get zero coverage.

I would imagine Boston to be the same.
    11-01-08 04:59 PM
    I can't complain for the 3 years I've been on but I'm in LA and I'd be surprised if I did.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 05:17 PM
    Yeah some clubs in Boston and Providence that are like basement locations or whatever are kinda slim for reception... Usually one bar or zero bars but some signal.

My friend's apartment complex where he's on the 3rd floor... crappy reception whether it's my blackberry or his sidekick.

I have excellent coverage on the street in NYC and in NJ however when I go in some bars, especially the ones that are in basement locations which is common in NYC I get zero coverage.

I would imagine Boston to be the same.
    11-01-08 05:21 PM
    Help unlocking an 8220
    11-01-08 05:22 PM
    Help unlocking an 8220
    11-01-08 05:23 PM
    I live in Upper Providence Delaware Co. Pa. and my stupid community just voted "No" to tmo's request to build a cell tower on the grounds of a technical school here. People complained that it would affect property values, destroy the environment, and the radiation would cause their children to grow an extra head or extra fingers, and township council voted "no" on the request because of that. I have been wanting a Sidekick for so long and when my contract with VZW is up in August I had planned on getting one, but now I don't think I'll be able to do so because of the poor coverage here for Tmo. I might get it anyway and hope for the best, and maybe get an ATT or Virgin Mobile prepaid phone as a back-up in case my Mom (she's 85 and I am an only child) needs to get a hold of me while I'm out. I know I'm sounding like a real whiny little "rhymes with witch" here, but it's real frustrating for me because it's coming on top of a lot of other things. I have to live here because my Mom won't move and I am the sole caregiver, but the only thing that keeps me going a lot of the time is knowing that someday I'll get out of this stupid town and be able to live somewhere really great, like Vegas. I still, in the back of my mind, like the Blackberry Curve, but I have wanted the Sidekick since 2003.
    11-02-08 03:49 PM
    Well I get zero reception in one town I travel to and I checked the map and it says no coverage at all.
    11-02-08 10:44 PM
    My phone gets horrible reception at my new house. My old phone was ATT and worked fine. My brother lives 7 houses away, and wont talk to me on my cell phone because he says it sounds like I'm crumpling paper as I'm on the phone, my dad says the same. It pretty much sucks.
    11-03-08 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD