T-Mobile representative Amanda Ginther has confirmed that it will rollout HSPA 7.2 data access across its entire network currently consisting of 240 cities covering 170 million points of presence and expanding to 200 million by the end of the year. The carrier is undergoing preparations for an upgrade to 21Mbps HSPA+ access (currently undergoing trials in Philadelphia) beginning in the middle of next year. Handsets in T-Mobile’s 3G lineup that are compatible with the current HSPA 7.2 upgrade include the T-Mobile G1, myTouch 3G,Touch Pro2, Dash 3G, Motorola CLIQ and the Samsung Behold II.

The question is will T-Mo also bring us a version of the Storm 2? Once this is up and running (fingers crossed), we can only hope T-Mo will have some very nice phones to go with this. Personally, I am a Blackberry fan. All I need is a larger screen for web surfing and video playback. The Storm 2 fits the bill perfect. The 9700 may be the best BlackBerry ever made till now but the small screen makes web browsing and video media playback painful. Maybe they will finally fix all the problems they have with those unlocked Storm 2's on T-Mo.
    Last edited by Madeyefergy; 12-03-09 at 10:28 PM.
    12-03-09 06:21 PM
    Will upgrading these speeds have any effects on phones- like my 9700- that aren't compatible with the new speeds?
    12-03-09 07:20 PM
    Will upgrading these speeds have any effects on phones- like my 9700- that aren't compatible with the new speeds?
    No not REALLY BECAUSE the real world of 7.2 is oooo 2.5 to 3.7? If we are on 3.6 tech on tmo or att what we have is 400 to say maybe 1.6. So any 3g 3.6 device will more than fit the bill. Remember it 7.2 in the labs. Labs are not REAL world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 09:16 PM
    Sweet! I'm in Philadelphia! Too bad the 9700 can only take about 1/7th of that HSPA+ speed.

I will say I am absolutely thrilled with 3G here. I get full bars inside my brick apartment, and even at work where I used to get 2 bars of GPRS. Now they need to get service down in the subway. Not that I'd really use it, but hey, VZW and ATT have it down there
    12-03-09 09:34 PM
    The question is will T-Mo also bring us a version of the Storm 2?
    Uh. Doubtful. My understanding is that RIM signed an exclusivity contract with Verizon similar to what Apple signed with AT&T for the iPhone.
    12-04-09 03:26 PM
    That does not mean they do not have another touch screen phone in the works.
    12-05-09 08:33 AM
    Yes, but would it be a blackberry??????

That's the reason I have a Storm. I want a large screen, touch screen AND a blackberry. Don't give me androids, iphones, etc. Only BB!

To have all of this + 3G or HSPA, etc. on TMo would be a dream come true.
    12-05-09 02:51 PM
    The question was if TMO will bring us a version of the storm 2. Not another bb with a touch screen. TMO probably will not be bringing us another Storm 2. And I haven't heard of any other touch screen bb in the works. Has anybody else?
    12-07-09 10:51 AM
    Uh. Doubtful. My understanding is that RIM signed an exclusivity contract with Verizon similar to what Apple signed with AT&T for the iPhone.
    I don't think there is an exclusivity this time on the Storm2. Even if they did, the 9550 would be exclusive to them, not the 9520. That would affect Sprint, not Tmobile.
    12-08-09 03:30 PM
    The question was if TMO will bring us a version of the storm 2. Not another bb with a touch screen. TMO probably will not be bringing us another Storm 2. And I haven't heard of any other touch screen bb in the works. Has anybody else?
    You should read this about Rumored BlackBerry Devices

Which rumors are true is uncertain, but people are talking about new touchscreens.
    12-08-09 03:53 PM
    so... I should just wait and not jump ship to Android right now huh? :P

It will be interesting to see the devices and things that roll out with the fiesty hot data service.
    12-08-09 07:23 PM
    Storm 2 will not be coming to T-Mobile. Also, at this time there are no devices capable of HSPA+ at the moment.
    12-09-09 06:59 PM
    Storm 2 will not be coming to T-Mobile. Also, at this time there are no devices capable of HSPA+ at the moment.
    The android devices are HSPA+ compatable....

12-11-09 10:57 AM
    The android devices are HSPA+ compatable....

My understanding is that won't happen until Android 2.0 is released.
    12-11-09 08:30 PM
    2.0 isn't that far off. Plus 1.6 has been smooth sailing as long as I've had it, with internet speeds very few would complain about. Factor in the Turn-by-Turn navigation for free, and Android is an awesome alternative.
    12-14-09 03:12 AM
    HSPA+ is a radio factor not a firmware factor...

and just for the record book i did a speed test on my phone (9700 w/ 5.0.0.405) last saturday and i got a 13,000+ K/Bit download speed, talked to a friend who works for t-mobile and he said that would be normal when they release HSPA+ in my area.

13,000 k/bit per second download speed, what more could a blackberry owner want.... there has to be a point where any faster would 1) be pointless due to the fact you can only look @ so much on a little screen 2) you'd need a massive processor to handle the data and it would kill the battery..

12-15-09 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD