Hi, my friend is on AT&T and asked me to help him figure out how they work plans with the non-Smartphone devices. He is looking at the Samsung Impression, which the site says requires you to upgrade to a few different data and/or messaging options. He is not interested in data and would prefer not to upgrade to the $20 unlimited messaging since he doesn't use MMS and already has a regular unlimited texting plan.

I am unfamiliar with how AT&T works these plans, but I read something online that suggested that if he purchases the phone online and uses his SIM card, he can avoid having to upgrade his plan. Is this true?

P.S. I am aware that upgrading to the unlimited messaging from the unlimited texting is probably only a difference of $10 a month, but he doesn't want to do that. I guess he feels like they get enough of his money as it is haha.
    02-21-10 12:22 PM
    isn't unlimited messaging the same as unlimited texting? and yes, if you purchase the phone elsewhere without a contract (i.e. ebay, craigslist, etc...), then you can just pop your sim in.
    02-21-10 06:11 PM
    Hello, AT&T doesn't have an unlimited SMS only plan, as far as I know. All messaging plans are mixed SMS+MMS. The unlimited plan is $20/mo, and there are no other plans that I know of.

Buying another phone somewhere else won't help you for long, according to the terms:
    "
    Messaging Plans: Quick messaging device owners must subscribe to an eligible messaging plan or combination of eligible messaging and data plans. If it is determined that you are using a Quick Messaging Device without an eligible messaging plan or combination of eligible messaging/data plans, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible messaging or data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.
    "
    Source:
    PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T.
    02-21-10 06:31 PM
    There is no price difference between the ancient text-only features and the equivalent general-messaging features. The latter exist to provision MMS allowances, and all you need to use MMS messaging is data pay per use. No, you are not billed for data used to send and receive MMS messages.

Protip: Send LOOOOONG text messages as MMS messages. Still only one message, instead of three or four SMS messages.
    02-21-10 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD