Well after going though 3 bolds two new and one refurb and 3 weeks later I got AT&T to agree to send me a refurb 8900,I should have it by this Friday. They also credited $150 to my account for my troubles which I thought was nice of them. I had to threaten to cancel my service but in the end it worked out for me,its a good thing because I was within a hair's inch of switching to Sprint and a BB tour.

Yes it took some doing but I finally got a differant BB after all the grief that the 3 bold's gave me. Its a shame because it really is a nice phone. But I think the 8900 will suit me fine until I'm ready for an upgrade again. I'm gonna wait and see how the 9700 does in real world use before investing in one.
    11-17-09 08:09 PM
    I had a similar experience. Att allowed me to warranty exchange from an 8310 to the 9000, and changed my wifes phone from the lg neon to the xenon, we LOVE our new phones!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 09:12 PM
    Yea nice phone, but you lost 3G!!! Was 3G in your area yet or no? EDGE data is nothing compared to 3G, also the voice quality is better.
    11-18-09 12:15 AM
    Chaldo yes 3G is in my area however after going through 3 different bolds,not one could maintain and 3G signal in my area. which again is weird because like i said have good 3G coverage here. On the flip side AT&T doesn't want the refurb Bold back again this doesn't do me much good as it never worked right in the first place. I had more calls failed than made on my Bolds.

I know the 8900 isn't 3G but if it works properly all is well to me. I've played with a friends 8900 and its only a hair slower than the Bold (when the bold would manage a 3G connection anyways) in loading webpages. Its seems EDGE is optimized at its peak in my area and I use WiFI a lot at home so i should be fine in this regard. I'll probably keep the bold as I'm not going to sell it to someone and take their money knowing the phone is faulty. I'll just keep it in a drawer as an emergency spare. I'm glad I stood with AT&T because I prefer GSM Sim card enabled handsets due to the freedom they provide.
    11-18-09 07:54 AM
    ATT customer service has most always treated me well. That is the major reason we continue a family plan. Service on the network is sometimes problematic but when time comes to upgrade or to get any problem resolved we have no issues with customer service (on the phone not in the local stores which is another matter entirely).
    11-18-09 08:29 AM
    Try disabling 3G through Network Connections on your Bold and see if it can maintain a strong EDGE signal. Chances are the 3G coverage in your area isn't so great.

11-18-09 07:40 PM
    Yes...I had the same problem with my Curve 8310. I had to have it replaced (warranty claims) twice, the customer rep told me that if it happened again (during the warranty period) I could replace the phone with any other of the same tier phones they were carrying. However, it never happened again, and I have been happy with this 8310. I am waiting to upgrade to the Bold 9700 though. This 8310 is on its last legs. Its pretty old now.
    11-19-09 10:27 AM
    Entrical I tried that and the EDGE signal isn't any better and theres solid 3G service where I live and I've yet to see another 3G device on AT&T behave this way. This is certainly a device issue and not a network issue.
    11-19-09 03:13 PM
    They did right by me also.
    When I relocated to Denver, and let them know their service sucked. They let me go without a disconect fee.
    Made the switch to Verozon, should have done it years ago.

11-20-09 07:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD