12-09-09 06:02 PM
    Just read about this here

AT&T: Tighter control of cell data usage ahead - Yahoo! News

Sounds kinda lame to me. I stream pandora for about 6 hours a day at work, and I hit about 2-3gb a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 06:09 PM
    I agree lame! They want to sell you the phone, pay for it, but not really use it too much.
    12-09-09 06:14 PM

Sounds kinda lame to me. I stream pandora for about 6 hours a day at work, and I hit about 2-3gb a month.

you should be ok with 3gb. All carriers have a somewhat 5 gb limit.

But yeah this is lame and proves att is going the drain. they need to do major improvements not expect smartphone users to use elss.
    12-09-09 06:15 PM
    Not really sure what I hit when Im on my iphone but Im sure I use a lot.
    12-09-09 06:20 PM
    Verixon doesn't have a 5 gig cap.
    you should be ok with 3gb. All carriers have a somewhat 5 gb limit.

But yeah this is lame and proves att is going the drain. they need to do major improvements not expect smartphone users to use elss.
    12-09-09 07:23 PM
    Verixon doesn't have a 5 gig cap.

Neither does AT&T unless you have a tethering plan. It's just one of those they get on you for using unlimited data above 5GB because they get suspicious that you might be tethering and not paying or w/e their reason. But officially, it's unlimited for AT&T (outside a tethering plan. Those do have hard caps at 5GB)
    12-09-09 11:13 PM
    IF caps happen AT&T can expect there churn rate that they brag about to **** up. I like AT&T, just don't like the idea at all. Wireless data usage will only go up in the future you cant stop it so why take the cheap way out? Why not take advantage of what is happening and actually deploy the capability of HSPA 7.2 or 21mbps faster? They need this so why are they deploying it in Major city's that probably don't have the problems NY/SF is having? That is just plain crap.
    12-09-09 11:26 PM
    Neither does AT&T unless you have a tethering plan. It's just one of those they get on you for using unlimited data above 5GB because they get suspicious that you might be tethering and not paying or w/e their reason. But officially, it's unlimited for AT&T (outside a tethering plan. Those do have hard caps at 5GB)
    good deal...... thats what I thought but I wasnt sure...... I have gone pretty close to 5 before..... its amazing to me that I can use my phone for a month and use 5 GB, but tether my laptop for that same month and only use 1 on it
    12-09-09 11:28 PM
    This just goes to show that Verizon is indeedbetter than AT&T like they have been saying... AT&T is mad at VZW for stating the truth lol. I find it funny
    12-10-09 12:13 AM
    yaaaay instead of upgrading infrastructure to meet the demands they start limiting customers, now thats what i call progress
    Last edited by gbsn; 12-10-09 at 04:45 AM.
    12-10-09 04:28 AM
    40% of bandwidth is used by roughly 3% of AT&T users.

If making tiered data plans means cheaper data plans I'm all for it.

I never pass 500mb a month.

http://www.mobileburn.com/chtml/template_story.jsp?Id=8386
    12-10-09 02:37 PM
    40% of bandwidth is used by roughly 3% of AT&T users.

If making tiered data plans means cheaper data plans I'm all for it.

I never pass 500mb a month.

MobileBurn: AT&T improving network service in San Francisco and New York; considering tiered data fees for heaviest downloaders
    I'll go with that. As long as it doesn't mean the 97% of us using 60% of the data to continue paying $30 a month, but this time for only 200MB instead of unlimited.

But I still rather see an option for unlimited data though (or at least 5-10GB) around the $30 range. Anything past that is just absurd...
    12-10-09 03:31 PM
    too funny... they claim they need to curb usage then add an applicaton where people can report outages:

AT&T has been reluctant to admit that there is a problem, but recently, the company has acknowledged that problems exist..And the company recently launched an iPhone application that allows users to report service problems.

wouldn't this just add to the problem/congestion?
    12-11-09 04:21 PM
    wouldn't this just add to the problem/congestion?
    I seriously doubt a bunch of small packets from through the app (which aren't even going to be constant) are going to do anything to network congestion...
    12-11-09 07:06 PM
    Or AT&T could invest some of the billions of dollars they have in upgrading their network infastructure, kinda like Verizon does.

anyway, I don't think data caps are fair, unless the price was much lower, like my aircard (which thankfully is a grandfathered Alltel one and is unlimited) which is $60 a month, 5GB for $60 a month is not fair, I am a heavy user, I don't do anything illegal, its not fair
    12-12-09 04:15 PM
    Define "fair." It's a private business, if you don't like their practices go elsewhere, you have no entitlement of anything -- the business owes you nothing. If they want to charge $60 and give you 100mb they can.
    12-12-09 05:27 PM
    Define "fair." It's a private business, if you don't like their practices go elsewhere, you have no entitlement of anything -- the business owes you nothing. If they want to charge $60 and give you 100mb they can.
    I never said they couldn't do it, I just said I think its bull**** that they do.

and no, I can't go elsewhere, everyone has a cap, and Alltel is the only carrier that works at my house anyway, and thankfully mine is still unlimited.
    12-12-09 06:07 PM
    I never said they couldn't do it, I just said I think its bull**** that they do.

and no, I can't go elsewhere, everyone has a cap, and Alltel is the only carrier that works at my house anyway, and thankfully mine is still unlimited.
    So it looks like you should be grateful that you even have the ability to connect anywhere because five years ago it wasn't available. Emerging technology is always expensive. Why is it BS that they charge for a service that is not inifinite? You think bandwith is infinite?
    12-12-09 06:52 PM
    I have no doubt that ATT has to do this because of the iPhone. It still kind of sucks though.

I hope that in the meantime, ATT will work on its technology so they can support more users and data usage so maybe someday, these restrictions won't be necessary.

12-12-09 09:20 PM
    So it looks like you should be grateful that you even have the ability to connect anywhere because five years ago it wasn't available. Emerging technology is always expensive. Why is it BS that they charge for a service that is not inifinite? You think bandwith is infinite?

I am grateful actually and I know its not infinite. And I guess I should be more clear, maybe not unlimited, but 5GB is not enough.

btw, who put a bee in your bonnet this evening
    12-12-09 10:55 PM
    I seriously doubt a bunch of small packets from through the app (which aren't even going to be constant) are going to do anything to network congestion...
    Of course network load won't be a problem. The people who are reporting outages won't have a connection to actually send the report!

Sugar pill, anyone?

12-12-09 11:25 PM
    Tiered pricing is kind of lame, IMHO. I doubt they're going to offer lower price options for light users. The current price will be for light users and it'll go up from there...

I would love to see AT&T prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

12-12-09 11:28 PM
    Tiered pricing is kind of lame, IMHO. I doubt they're going to offer lower price options for light users. The current price will be for light users and it'll go up from there...

I would love to see AT&T prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

I believe you're right here...

I forget where/what the article is (yeah, great help I am haha) but I read somewhere that how they want to change it is like this:
    Have people pay x (perhaps little cheaper than the current unlimited) dollars/month to use up to x MB/GB a month.
    If you go here, then the data price will go up but will cap at certain point (40-50 bucks). So you won't get charged per MB up the wazoo but unlimited data is certainly more expensive. But at least it's there for those who want it...

I wish I could find that article. But this plan seems to make sense to me...
    12-13-09 01:11 AM
    Yes it makes perfect sense from the corporate jet payments and limo service standpoint. The problem I have is that they shout that it's unlimited but whisper that it actually has a cap.

12-13-09 05:06 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD