Greetings Crackberry forum denizens,

At my company, I am about to cancel an employee's air card and upgrade him to a Blackberry Bold so he can tether on the 3G network, and save us money at the same time. Now, we all know you really don't need the tethering plan on AT&T to tether, however that specific plan that does allow you to legitimately tether state a 5gb data cap vs the normal $30 data plan which says "unlimited data" as scene on their website, tinyurl.com/d6n4am

So is the "unlimited data" really unlimited or is there a hidden 5gb cap?
    I've never received any type of notice when I've gone over 5 gb on the unlimited data plan. My teenage daughter has an iPhone and also routinely goes over 5gb and still no messages.
    12-07-09 04:30 PM
    So is it still unlimited or is it 5GB? Thanks.
    5GB for tethering, unlimited for the BB itself. Unless your streaming, it will probably not be an issue.
    12-07-09 04:35 PM
    I've never received any type of notice when I've gone over 5 gb on the unlimited data plan. My teenage daughter has an iPhone and also routinely goes over 5gb and still no messages.
    Limit is for tethering ONLY.
    12-07-09 04:36 PM
    Limit is for tethering ONLY.
    My error. I realized the original post was regarding tethering, but it appeared some were talking about receiving messages when they went over 5gb on their regular data plan.
    12-07-09 05:00 PM
    Wait a minute. If your unhappy switch plans. So in other words ATT should not stand by what they say. Just like their superior coverage claim.
    I guess it is ok for ATT to lie and abuse its customers and when you try to get out of a contract you get penalized. Forget about the unlimited BS, because 5gb is a lot unless you do abuse it.
    I'm more concerned about their flat out lies and its ok. Then when you complain and try to leave your screwed.
    Well I will find out tomorrow if I can get out of my family plan due to being disgusted with no coverage and see what they say.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 08:58 PM
    My error. I realized the original post was regarding tethering, but it appeared some were talking about receiving messages when they went over 5gb on their regular data plan.
    It would be pretty hard to go over 5GB without tethering. I stream radio about 3 hrs./day, and I have yet to exceed 2GB/month.
    12-07-09 09:01 PM
    It would be pretty hard to go over 5GB without tethering. I stream radio about 3 hrs./day, and I have yet to exceed 2GB/month.
    I've done it a couple of times when travelling and was streaming radio and podcasts. My daughter has too; however, I suspect people are looking for a way to tether or tethering with the idea that no one can tell the difference.
    12-08-09 09:31 AM
    What I don't understand is what does tethering do for you. I undfersatnd that is saves money on data, but you hook up to a computer to watch movies or listen to music on your Blackberry?
    I mean your sitting at a computer with a large screen and speakers to watch or listen to movies and music. Instead you send it to a BB with a small screen and inferior speaker.
    Or is it you download the data to a SD card to take with you. This whole thig has me confused

12-08-09 10:15 AM
    Think you have it all mixed up...

Tethering is using the BB as your internet connection for something else (like a PC).
    12-08-09 08:18 PM
    Now I see but can't you just buy a network card for the computer and use the ATT has the ISP or is it extra money.
    I don't use a laptop on the road so this is all new to me. If I do use a laptop it is in a hotel and I just hook up to their wiifi or use my BB on their Wiifi.
    I have a palm tungsten and I was told I would need a network card and a subscription to a carrier if I wanted to use it so I don't.
    Does that mean if I got a network card for it I could tether it off the BB if it doesn't break any rules for ATT or hope Verizon if I am able to switch.

12-08-09 09:34 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD