Source: Computer World

AT&T got some bad news from Consumer Reports this week, as the magazine's latest survey shows that the carrier now has the lowest level of customer satisfaction in the U.S.

7 keys to the ultimate smartphone

AT&T got its lowest marks in the survey for its voice services, as it was the only wireless carrier in the United States to receive below-average marks for its voice quality. Verizon received above average marks for its voice service while T-Mobile and Sprint both received average marks. AT&T also received subpar remarks across the board for its customer service while receiving average marks for its text-messaging and data services.

AT&T also had the most expensive average monthly bills for two-line plans, the survey found, as its wireless voice services clocked in at an average of $86 a month and its wireless voice plan with data averaged $134 per month. Verizon had the second most expensive average monthly bill, with an average voice bill of $83 per month and an average voice and data bill of $126 per month. T-Mobile and Sprint offered the least expensive monthly voice and data bills at an average of $114 per month.

The results of the survey come at a bad time for AT&T, which has already been on the defensive over Verizon's ads attacking its 3G coverage. Verizon's "There's a Map for That" ads typically show AT&T users struggling to use applications on their mobile devices while Verizon customers happily watch live streaming videos. The ads then display maps that show the total geographical reach of 3G coverage for each carrier, with Verizon's map showing a far larger area of the country covered by its 3G service.

The survey, which was based on responses from more than 50,000 wireless customers living in 26 metropolitan areas, showed that Verizon was the only carrier to receive above average marks in all aspects of its service, from its voice to its SMS and data to its customer service. Verizon also came out on top of the rankings in all 26 cities surveyed.

T-Mobile, despite rating as average in its voice and data services, nonetheless received above average scores for its customer support. Sprint, last year's lowest-ranked carrier, continued to be plagued by poor customer service ratings as the survey rated the carrier the worst at resolving issues.

While AT&T received bad news on the customer satisfaction front, the carrier can take solace in the fact that it still has the most highly rated smartphone in the industry. According to Consumer Reports' survey of smartphone users, the iPhone 3GS is far and away the top-rated smartphone, earning high marks for its display, its navigation capabilities, its Web browsing, its multimedia quality and its battery life.

Also receiving good scores in the smartphone survey were the Nokia N97 for AT&T, the T-Mobile myTouch, the HTC Touch Pro2 for Verizon, the HTC Imagio for Verizon and the Samsung Omnia for Verizon. The lowest rated smartphones in the survey were the BlackBerry 8830 for Verizon, the BlackBerry Curve 8330 and BlackBerry Pearl 8130 for Sprint, the Nokia Surge for AT&T and the T-Mobile Sidekick.
    12-03-09 01:48 AM
    So at least people like AT&T for the iPhone. Good thing they have that.....
    12-03-09 01:57 AM
    I've got an 8310 Curve on AT&T and have no complaints.

WAAAAY better than the 8830 (work provided) on Sprint, which was better than
    the previous work BB on Nextel.

Zero dropped calls for me on AT&T this year.
    12-03-09 08:10 AM
    As of late, my service has been pissing me off. But it only seems that when I talk to friends on an iPhone, our calls get dropped! But other than that, no problems with dropped called.
    12-03-09 10:45 AM
    been with ATT for along time...and never had a problem.....unitl I upgraded wifes bb to the 8900....last Aug. Since then.....it has ....then I had to Change my numbers...in Sept.....(since I moved last Nov)....and didnt want to do it....for the fear of a headache....I was in the store talkin to a rep. and was told there will be no issues and no problem, wont effect upgrade dates or anything....but it be a rlocation..and a new acct number..... Then she calls customer service from the (corp) store.... guy tells me all the same stuff... so I say ok...since then i have had a min of 1hr phone call every month.....bill problems, wrong features, more bill problems, loss of upgrade status, loss of notes on acct from prev conversation, more bill prob.....i am very unhappy and thinking I should just cancel and move to VZW.... or T-mobile...... spending way to much money to get $!&% on......
    12-03-09 01:01 PM
    Been with ATT for years now. We stay in large measure to keep their customer service (on the phone, not the stores). Since the Bold entered the picture I have no service complaints at all. In the past some cheap or free phones did not work so well. We are in a position to move at any time but I doubt that will happen so long as ATT keeps their people working to make us happy when we call for help.

And with third party sellers or online services we are much happier than in ATT branded stores.
    12-03-09 01:51 PM
    Been with SW Bell, Cingular, and AT&T for many years. Over the past few months there has been a marked deterioration in service with increasing numbers of dropped calls (call failed) in numerous major cities as well as intermittent 3G service.

The arrogance of their executives denying these problems is most troubling.

I'm seriously thinking of moving to Verizon when my renewal comes up in a few months.
    12-03-09 06:57 PM
    As a brand new customer to ATT, I walked into a store yesterday afternoon to have my contacts from my Verizon Blackberry Tour to my new ATT Bold 9700 and two reps (not doing anything but sitting down) stated that they could not transfer contacts from "PDA phones". My first experience with ATT turned out to be a flat out lie from two ladies that didn't try to help me at all and apparently would rather sit on their bums. Terrible way to start a relationship.
    12-03-09 07:17 PM
    Verizon has always sucked big time compared to ATT and always will.
    12-03-09 08:09 PM
    As a brand new customer to ATT, I walked into a store yesterday afternoon to have my contacts from my Verizon Blackberry Tour to my new ATT Bold 9700 and two reps (not doing anything but sitting down) stated that they could not transfer contacts from "PDA phones". My first experience with ATT turned out to be a flat out lie from two ladies that didn't try to help me at all and apparently would rather sit on their bums. Terrible way to start a relationship.
    You're on your second Blackberry and second carrier and you wanted the store employees to sync your smartphone for you? I don't believe I would expect them to have DM running.

Try this link and there are many other helpful tips here in Blackberry 101.

How to Setup your BlackBerry to Sync with Outlook | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by tgilmore16; 12-04-09 at 01:32 PM.
    12-04-09 11:23 AM
    I don't care what those reports say, my 3G service with AT&T here in the Philly area is excellent, which is a lot more than I can say for the crappy non 3G service that I had with Verizon in this area.
    12-04-09 03:04 PM
    Verizon has always sucked big time compared to ATT and always will.

Funny...that is exactly what I think of the poor sound quality and constantly dropped calls from ATT.

After 16 years with ATT, I left last month and have never been happier...

To each his own...

Of course, the Die Verizon thing is pathetic...a little much, don't you think?
    12-04-09 03:31 PM
    Sorry double post.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-04-09 at 04:53 PM.
    12-04-09 04:45 PM
    You kept a carrier with poor signal quality in your area for 16 years and you say I'm pathetic,,??? LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-04-09 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD