01-15-10 09:37 PM
36 12
tools
    Doesn't Verizon have about as many 3G capable phones as AT&T has 2G-only phones? Which is to say, less than 8, I believe?

Anyway, I believe that the majority of AT&T's 3G network bandwidth is being eaten up with constant Twitter posts of "my iPhone farted!".
    01-09-10 09:01 AM
    Doesn't Verizon have about as many 3G capable phones as AT&T has 2G-only phones? Which is to say, less than 8, I believe?

Anyway, I believe that the majority of AT&T's 3G network bandwidth is being eaten up with constant Twitter posts of "my iPhone farted!".
    Even AT&T is in the record noting that some 40% of their load is coming from 3% of either smartphone users or iPhone users (can't remember). Even then you're talking about less than 3M subs out of ~80M. That's not an impressive number and plays to overall capacity.

As for number of phone with 2G/3G a simple look at the product offerings on their respective web sites clear that up. I think your numbers may be inaccurate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 12:32 PM
    One big problem is the Spectrum. They are using half their spectrum on GSM and half on 3G UMTS. AT&T in my opinion needs to stop selling GSM only phones and needs to push a 3G requirement on their phones soon. So they can lower some spectrum on the GSM side and move it to the 3G side.
    01-09-10 01:02 PM
    If I used AT&T for service I would drop them like a bad habit. Their network is so jammed and smartphone users are being pushed to sub 2G levels, even EDGE. If you cannot perform for what I'm paying you to do, bye bye...
    Sadly, I'm starting to feel the same...
    But my father works for AT&T (completely unrelated to cellphone stuff though), so I get a small discount every month on my bill, and I'm such a cheapass that I don't want to give that up.
    01-11-10 01:52 AM
    Look at the graph. Evdo Rev A. is where Verizon is at and most likely stop until LTE. HSDPA is where AT&T is at. How is Evdo any faster?

Let me show you some AT&T 3G speed tests done lately in some areas with 7.2 towers with the backhaul put in.

There is no Verizon Wireless speed test on EVDO that has ever gotten that fast for download speeds.
    You really crack me up with some of your posts and this is no exception. You posted the graph and I referred to the actual speed (the yellow bars) shown on the graph not the theoretical. Most of us are well aware that HSPDA has a theoretical higher speed than EVDO
    BUT
    your graph shows a slightly higher EVDO actual speed than HSPDA but I'm willing to concede that they are too close to call. If you don't want people to use data that you might post then don't post it, otherwise people will use it against you.
    You can post anecdotal "evidence" that someone somewhere gets speeds that are faster than any EVDO but that does not prove a point.
    It really is hard for you for AT&T to not "win" a contest. Personally, the only contest I'm interested in is the one that shows that I get 3G EVERYWHERE I take my phone, especially my house. AT&T loses there as you can't even make a call on AT&T here. I will guarantee that if you came to where I live any Speedtest on AT&T would come up goose eggs.
    01-11-10 02:28 PM
    Will upgrading towers, in turn mean better coverage in areas. I am on the edge of a service line and would like to see 3g help me get better service.
    01-12-10 05:54 PM
    Will upgrading towers, in turn mean better coverage in areas. I am on the edge of a service line and would like to see 3g help me get better service.
    Not much, AT&T stupidly wants to focus on speed rather than coverage, probably why Verizon and Sprint have more mobile broadband card users

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 06:05 PM
    huh, wonder if this is why I have to turn off 3G to use the damn phone. If I don't then people can't hear me worth a darn.
    01-12-10 11:42 PM
    Good news! Really happy with AT&T's service and coverage; this is chocolate fudge frosting with little chocolate shavings on top of a chocolate devil's food cake with raspberry filling.....

I'm happy....dancing, dancing, dancing....
    01-13-10 07:14 AM
    Good news! Really happy with AT&T's service and coverage; this is chocolate fudge frosting with little chocolate shavings on top of a chocolate devil's food cake with raspberry filling.....

I'm happy....dancing, dancing, dancing....
    I found this post quite comical. I live in Houston and I've noticed that browser speeds have been running faster. Also in apps as well. Things connect a lot faster than normal. Does anybody know if the HSPA upgrade will increase speeds on the Bold9700 even though it tops out at HSDPA?
    01-15-10 09:16 PM
    @Chaldo-
    Always good to hear positive news about at&t upgrading. Thanks for sharing the information.
    01-15-10 09:37 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD