It bothers me that in AT&T's attempt at making a commercial to counter attack Verizon's Maps commercial they use huge *** postcards. They use a post-card the size of Montana to represent one town which on that map would be maybe a hole punch. Everywhere i go the service on my Verizon Blackberry ***** on my g/f's AT&T IPhone!
    12-23-09 12:45 AM
    Yea its funny how Verizon attacks ATT with the "map" thing.
    "There's a map for that"

Then ATT tries to come back with the, well with our service you can use the internet at the same time as you use your phone, can you do that on your phone or service? I love this attack I mean sure it would be a nice feature, but it's almost worthless as most people will not use this feature.

Then they have another commercial where they compare features to verizon and the only thing they say verizon beats them at is that their name begins with a "V". Who cares if they claim faster 3g coverage, it won't matter if you don't get good service. Then they claim the best selection of smartphones or something like that, the only phone they can really boast about for now is the IPHONE.

I have a few friends with ATT and Iphones, and they always complain about the service, dropped calls, bad call quality etc. I hope ATT thinks of a better attack back, because what they tried before is weak.

In my opinion Verizon wins.
    Better coverage > "Fastest 3g", using data while on phone, iphone
    12-23-09 11:54 AM
    But the 6 people that have 3G coverage on AT&T are downloading an app faster than you!!!

...Wait, now only 5, person number 3 moved a few steps.
    12-23-09 12:15 PM
    I just went to the AT&T web site to check on something I was posting in another forum about coverage and they don't have a 3G coverage locator map anymore. The Data map's legend has only National Data Coverage and No Service Available. What a marketing too - obfuscation.
    12-23-09 04:05 PM
    He also throws the cards in the wrong direction when he says the name of the towns. A couple of them anyway
    12-23-09 09:16 PM
    CDMA sucks.......and they can blacklist your phone over a billing dispute rendering it valueless.......I disputed my final bill...a 10.00 CHARGE AND THEY BLACKLISTED all 5 of my devices till I paid it......bwahahahaha FAIL

oh and one more thing.....Ive had far better speeds and coverage.....mobile....fixed....inside outside with ATT than I ever did with VZW
    12-26-09 02:03 PM
    Larry is trolling pretty well.
    12-26-09 02:31 PM
    trolling? how........sharing my opinion?
    12-26-09 02:52 PM
    Larry I would have to disagree with you on the txting and talking part, I do it all the time. ATT made the point about talking and using the internet at the same time which CDMA does not allow for, however txting and talking is not an issue.
    12-26-09 03:10 PM
    I've never had a call directed straight to vmail as a result of incoming mail, browser usage, BBM usage, texting, or anything else. Rather, if I'm browsing, for example, the dialpad and call screen superimpose on the browser so I can accept or ignore the call. You're misinformed, Larry.
    12-26-09 03:14 PM
    ok....thats possible....with nTelos a regional CDMA carrier I tried for a few months what I described is exactly what happened...totally possible im incorrect on VZW.....its been nearly a year since I left

I couldnt figure out why so many calls were going to VM.....so I called TS.....and they advised me that with CDMA call and text/browse/data weren't possible

gotta be a carrier anomaly then

i updated my post to remove the bad info...thanks for the correction guys
    12-26-09 03:18 PM
    yeah nobody gets calls while their texting right......ooops......

if a text is inbound or outbound your call is going to VM......if your on BBM your call is going to VM.......if your getting email pushed to your phone while call is inbound its going to VM
    If I get a call while I'm texting all I have to do is press the Send button and answer the call. Sure it will go to VM if you keep texting. Also, I can return to SMS and pick up where I left off. gump FAIL!
    not on ATT........yeah nobody needs to have separate voice data channels.....lmao
    Texting and data are two separate channels on CDMA. You can text while talking with Verizon. As I've stated before, my daughter does it all the time when she is "listening" to her mother on the cell. gump FAIL!
    CDMA sucks.......and they can blacklist your phone over a billing dispute rendering it valueless.......I disputed my final bill...a 10.00 CHARGE AND THEY BLACKLISTED all 5 of my devices till I paid it......bwahahahaha FAIL

oh and one more thing.....Ive had far better speeds and coverage.....mobile....fixed....inside outside with ATT than I ever did with VZW
    My guess is that you didn't pay ANY of your "final bill" and disputed the $10 charge. If you had paid the other $200 you probably wouldn't have gotten "BLACKLISTED." BTW, you weren't blacklisted, you were shut off for failure to pay.
    You are correct that you can express your opinions, twisted as they are. You can even present what you believe to be facts that are not however, you are subject to being called out on those misrepresentations. gump FAIL!
    12-26-09 03:24 PM
    It bothers me that in AT&T's attempt at making a commercial to counter attack Verizon's Maps commercial they use huge *** postcards. They use a post-card the size of Montana to represent one town which on that map would be maybe a hole punch. Everywhere i go the service on my Verizon Blackberry ****s on my g/f's AT&T IPhone!
    the iphone is well known for having trouble with its 3G coverage.
    this is why apple has made an attempt along with at&t to reach out to customers with iphones by giving them a free app they call, "mark the spot".
    -it's an application that allows customers to report places where their coverage isnt great or non existant. its a major problem with iphones, and i love it because i not only work for at&t but i am a 3G blackberry user of at&t service surrounded by friends with 3Gs iphones. my signal is always exceptionally greater than theirs.
    12-26-09 03:31 PM
    uhhh whatever......I have plenty o friends with iPhone's and the apple product surpasses BB signal quality handily every time.....in Virginia anyway
    12-26-09 03:37 PM
    If I get a call while I'm texting all I have to do is press the Send button and answer the call. Sure it will go to VM if you keep texting. Also, I can return to SMS and pick up where I left off. gump FAIL!

Texting and data are two separate channels on CDMA. You can text while talking with Verizon. As I've stated before, my daughter does it all the time when she is "listening" to her mother on the cell. gump FAIL!

My guess is that you didn't pay ANY of your "final bill" and disputed the $10 charge. If you had paid the other $200 you probably wouldn't have gotten "BLACKLISTED." BTW, you weren't blacklisted, you were shut off for failure to pay.
    You are correct that you can express your opinions, twisted as they are. You can even present what you believe to be facts that are not however, you are subject to being called out on those misrepresentations. gump FAIL!
    LMAO.......when you say my device wasn't blacklisted but shut off are you saying you took a look at my now deceased account.....?.......and if so then you know that yes it was paid in full......346 dollars of it....minus the 10 bucks......and once it was waived I sold the devices......so if I didn't pay how pray tel did I sell them?

you may sit here and spew your nonsense....but unless you're prepared to assert that you accessed my account....which would no doubt lead to very serious criminal charges for you......you really cant speak to anything now can you....because you really have no Idea......isnt that right
    12-26-09 03:41 PM
    I do think it is funny now that ATT (since the exclusive period of the iPhone is almost done) is now blaming the iPhone for their network problems and not the network itself...

Poor network experience fault of iPhone, not AT&T? (Phone Arena News)
    12-26-09 03:44 PM
    so do I.....it is an interesting discussion though....im not sure if it does or does not hold water though......
    12-26-09 03:48 PM
    Thats what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket.
    12-26-09 04:24 PM
    I don't even know what that means? you mean ATT & the iphone.......what about the bold.....the tilt 2......the 9700 and the 8900....ya anyway
    12-26-09 04:47 PM
    no offense but being a former verizon customer. I had verizon for 6 years and I recently switched to at&t and verizon got no reception in my house now with at&t and the bold I get full bars even in my basement so I think it depends on where you live on service
    12-26-09 05:02 PM

Actually success. As I said in another post, you never leave the bosom of the tower.
    12-26-09 05:44 PM
    Dont quote me or reply to me your a racist....I cant stand racists
    12-26-09 08:06 PM
    Larry Gump will be excluded from the forums while he sobers up from Christmas festivities. Hopefully a short break will concentrate his attention on the niceties of online etiquette.

How please terminate the fighting and insult trading. This is supposed to be the season of friendship and goodwill.
    12-27-09 05:35 AM
    I just went to the AT&T web site to check on something I was posting in another forum about coverage and they don't have a 3G coverage locator map anymore. The Data map's legend has only National Data Coverage and No Service Available. What a marketing too - obfuscation.
    Zoom in and select show 3G coverage.

Also Verizon Wireless uses the CDMA technology when you see

1X and EV signal, 1X is for voice/texting/ and data on a separate channel.

EV = 3G Data.

When you are texting or you are on a call its 1X. If you have a non 3G device all you will see is 1X. If you have a 3G device you will see 1X signal and EV Signal. When you use data your 1X will drop for the EV connection. If you get a call it kind of delays sometimes but your EV drops for the 1X and the call comes in. This is why Verizon cannot have voice and data on the same time on the network because it cannot allow for both signals. Their whole voice network is on 1XRT (1X).

I heard someone claim CDMA doesn't allow for simultaneous voice/data, you are wrong. Their was development for other standards like SVDO (which allows Voice and data at the same time and EVDV. The projects kind of died because rarely any CDMA carrier was interested.

Now, EV 3G data stops around 3.1Mbps, you can't go any faster no upgrades nothing.

There is always one way you can surf and be on the phone at the same time on Verizon Wireless and that's if you are connected to Wifi while on the call, or texting.

Now lets talk about AT&T.

They have GSM and UMTS HSPA.

EDGE is Data and Voice but only 1 can be done at a time.

3G= simultaneous voice/data

I can be on a call, and BBMing at the same time. I do it all the time myself I love it.

AT&T's 3G network is a UMTS/HSPA network it currently is at 3.6Mbps in certain areas and some areas about 6 cities are going to 7.2Mbps by the end of the year. HSPA can be upgraded to HSPA+ 21Mbps and even I hear 56Mbps. Crazy speeds. AT&T's 3G network is the Nations Fastest 3G network right now no lie.

So what does this mean for CDMA customers? Verizon, Sprint, Metro,Cricket etc are stuck and need to hurry up because the demand for mobile data is only going to increase dramatically. Thats why Verizon tells you guys we are going LTE in 2010!!! Faster then anyone even AT&T!!!! Why? They need to they are stuck they need faster data speeds. While AT&T can sit here upgrading their 3G network with no problem.

LTE handsets wont be coming out till about 2011-2012 and so on. So Verizon can have a small LTE network in 2010, but their wide network still is at 3.1Mbps for everyone else just sitting there claiming 3G speeds when AT&T is claiming faster 3G speeds with a wide 3G network built out by then on the better technology.

HSPA 7.2 leaves off a very nice upgrade to LTE a lot of it is Software and some hardware.

Verizon just started building their whole new network. AT&T has been doing it for years. Yes it takes a very long time. So the commercials on both parties are just trying to grab customers attentions. They both need to do work.

As for the iPhone issues IMO I believe the phone has something to do with it. The RF Radio in the iPhone is known to have kind of crappy voice performance. I know not all iPhones have the issue but a lot of them do.

I have a cousin with a iPhone 3GS and he will be standing next to my BOLD and ill be on 3G full bars and his iPhones dropping signal like crazy. He got his sim card change and it works fine now. Other people get their sim card changed and it works the same, drops calls etc. I really think the iPhone has some issues rather then AT&T's network. I don't have problems with AT&T's network. Their are some advantages of CDMA and some of GSM. One thing I like about CDMA is it does reach farther, I hate? the Locks on it, OS'S Carrier Phones, less openness etc. I can't stand a company that controls everything on my phone.

I hope I didn't make this too complicated, I think I did haha I suck at explaining things but I try my best.

If I am wrong with anything I posted please correct me, I know a lot of other people are way more advanced then I am in technology like this right now.
    Last edited by Chaldo; 12-27-09 at 01:39 PM.
    12-27-09 01:37 PM
    While AT&T could update their 3G network, I doubt they build it out to VZW's level. A complete buildout at this late stage would end up being replaced in a couple of years. It would make sense to plug the holes and wait to field LTE. If not VZW will steal a march on them again.

Aside, most people I know don't use data and voice at the same time. I think the 3G coverage, or lack thereof, is why.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 08:37 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD