I currently have the blackberry data value plan (500mb with texts, caller id, voicemail etc.) on my 8900 and i was wondering if i were to switch over to a different phone that wasnt a blackberry, could rogers switch my data plan over to a regular smartphone data plan?

lets say i were to switch over a HTC magic, could i just go talk to rogers and have them switch my data plan without any changes in my bill?

O ya as well, If i were to switch over to a 3G blackberry, would i have to switch data plans? or would my current one work?
    Last edited by stansz; 12-17-09 at 05:26 PM.
    12-17-09 05:19 PM
    ewww why would you switch to a magic...
    12-17-09 08:49 PM
    I just switched from an iPhone to a BlackBerry and have spent a little bit on the phone with technical support over the last couple days. One guy I spoke with in technical support said that he regularly uses a BlackBerry with a data plan but quite commonly uses other smart phones and just puts the SIM into the other phone and the data plan works for that one as well. I haven't tried this so I'm not sure if it was just another representative that was pulling facts out of his a**, but it's a nice thought, haha. And I don't see why it shouldn't work.
    02-10-10 03:10 AM
    If you go to a 3G blackberry then you may need to get a new SIM (to actually be able to use the 3G) - and in regards to your data, just call in for customer relations - they're semi-intelligent and have STATED to me that they can change the type of data sent (blackberry, iphone, etc) upon my request.

Hope that helps.
    02-10-10 03:21 AM
    If you have any type of data plan other then a blackberry (for example 6gb for $30 data) just call in, speak to customer care (don't waste time for customer relations if your just gonna change a data plan) and ask them to put your data plan to an "APN-Blackberry" data code.

They put it on my iphone data plan, now my blackberry works with my iPhone data. No proration no charge!

Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 01:00 AM
    If you go to a 3G blackberry then you may need to get a new SIM (to actually be able to use the 3G)....
    When I recently moved to a Blackberry (8520) from an old 'dumbphone', the Rogers clerk advised me that my old SIM would no longer work and installed a new 3G SIM card for the BB. He explained that though the 8520 doesn't use 3G, this SIM card is required on the device.

He advised me that should I, in a situation where I might need to use my old cell, this new SIM will work - and, "of course", it will work with any of the current crop of smartphones.

Now if I could only figure out a way to copy all of my addresses from my phone onto a backup on the SIM (just as belt and suspenders to syncing to my Yahoo account) in one fell swoop, I'd be pleased...
    02-17-10 06:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD