Hi,

If i unlock my phone that means I can use sim card. Does this mean that I can keep two carrier like switching back and forth between bell and fido by simply switching to different network? (GMS/CMDA)

If i have dataplan on fido GMS would I be able to recieve email from BIS even though the PIN registered under bell network?

Please advise!
    12-18-09 05:07 PM
    I *believe* (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) that HDSPA and GSM use different frequencies, so no. Your phone wouldn't be able to switch carriers like that even if it was unlocked.

Usually unlocking just releases a CDMA phone to a different CDMA carrier, not to a GSM carrier but maybe someone else can explain it better!
    12-18-09 06:48 PM
    1. Yes if your phone is unlocked all you have to do is change sim cards to change networks.
    2. I am not sure about how the data plan but I think it's a bad idea to have 2 blackberry BIS accounts set up on one phone. A better solution is to have two phones.

I *believe* (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) that HDSPA and GSM use different frequencies, so no. Your phone wouldn't be able to switch carriers like that even if it was unlocked.

Usually unlocking just releases a CDMA phone to a different CDMA carrier, not to a GSM carrier but maybe someone else can explain it better!
    HSPA and GSM are not different frequencies necessarily but they could be. Phones that have HSPA will have GSM.

CDMA phones are not like phones the use sim cards. You can't simply unlock your phone and use a different provider. You also need to flash this phone and it's way more difficult.
    12-18-09 09:19 PM
    You can only have one or the other and the pin will only be locked to one carrier at a time.
    12-18-09 10:34 PM
    You can only have one or the other and the pin will only be locked to one carrier at a time.
    GSM/CDMA? The BlackBerry Tour has GSM and CDMA.
    12-19-09 12:55 AM
    Thank you for clarifying that, Rainor!
    12-20-09 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD