According to the latest rift between AT&T and Verizon, AT&T claims Verizon costomers cannot surf the web and talk on their "smart" phones at the same time. Is this true?

BTW, I am an AT&T customer.

-Rich
    11-24-09 11:43 AM
    Yes it is true.
    11-24-09 11:45 AM
    According to the latest rift between AT&T and Verizon, AT&T claims Verizon costomers cannot surf the web and talk on their "smart" phones at the same time. Is this true?

BTW, I am an AT&T customer.

-Rich
    I was also wondering the same thing. I'm also with att and was looking into switching to verizon and appearently because verizon is cdma and not a gsm company. You can only talk or surf the web. Which stinks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 11:46 AM
    I don't see the point of doing both at the same time while holding my coffee and driving
    11-24-09 11:54 AM
    I don't see the point of doing both at the same time while holding my coffee and driving
    Exactly
    But let att say the have the best selection of smartphones because they have the... iphone???
    11-24-09 12:00 PM
    It is a technology limitation necessitated by the high-end encryption of CDMA that GSM lacks.

It would be better to ask AT&T why it is everything you do on your GSM device is trackable by nearly anyone, while CDMA is nearly impossible to track & monitor without full carrier cooperation.

I won't enter financial info or important passwords on a GSM phone.

LTE will allow this, as does WiFi now. My personal opinion is, if you need to Google everything so you sound like you know what you're talking about, maybe you need to put the phone down & actually learn some things.
    11-24-09 12:00 PM
    Haha- to that point, I guess it keeps me out of trouble...because i am that person that tries to maximize time; so if I have to sit in traffic, I may as well call people back; and while they're rambling on, I may as well shop for shoes online...with a smoke and a coffee, all while driving a standard.

(It doesn't seem that bad while you're doing it, but now as I write it all down, I would be scared to be on the road with me!)
    11-24-09 12:01 PM
    Haha- to that point, I guess it keeps me out of trouble...because i am that person that tries to maximize time; so if I have to sit in traffic, I may as well call people back; and while they're rambling on, I may as well shop for shoes online...with a smoke and a coffee, all while driving a standard.

(It doesn't seem that bad while you're doing it, but now as I write it all down, I would be scared to be on the road with me!)
    now if you said you did that with a manual transmission, there might be an issue LOL
    11-24-09 12:09 PM
    LTE will allow this, as does WiFi now. My personal opinion is, if you need to Google everything so you sound like you know what you're talking about, maybe you need to put the phone down & actually learn some things.
    Exactly. Your friend needs to know what time the movie is? Tell him to look it up himself. He needs to know where the theater is? Get off the freakin phone and look it up buddy, what am I-Your personal concierge?

In all seriousness, web while talking is a nice feature in theory, but if the network isn't reliable then the feature wont work.

I would rather have real nationwide coverage as opposed to a feature that I may utilize once or twice a month.
    11-24-09 12:11 PM
    Exactly. Your friend needs to know what time the movie is? Tell him to look it up himself. He needs to know where the theater is? Get off the freakin phone and look it up buddy, what am I-Your personal concierge?

In all seriousness, web while talking is a nice feature in theory, but if the network isn't reliable then the feature wont work.

I would rather have real nationwide coverage as opposed to a feature that I may utilize once or twice a month.
    Word.
    10char
    11-24-09 12:58 PM
    word to ya motha......(just to reach 10 char)
    11-24-09 01:01 PM
    Standard transmission IS manual Tony bag

11-24-09 01:11 PM
    Standard transmission IS manual Tony bag

yeah I know....missed the standard part of his sentence
    11-24-09 01:14 PM
    Well I guess voice and data WILL be possible, I wonder if Verizon would implement this?

"A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc. This device enhancement, which enables these concurrent voice and data services, is independent of the air link standard and infrastructure."

CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases
    11-24-09 03:05 PM
    You can do it on a wi-fi enabled phone w/ a wi-fi connection.

11-24-09 03:11 PM
    what is the point of talking on the phone and surfing the web if you constantly drop calls? My sister is on at&t and i have given up speaking to her on the phone due to call dropping. Now i just bbm her. I know its not the same for everyone on at&t but, a large portion of the people that i speak to have this problem.
    11-24-09 03:11 PM
    That comercial that talks about who can surf and talk at the same time, and who has 100,000 apps, and who has the best smartphones, everything in that comercial is Att riding on the backs of Apple and the Iphone !
    11-24-09 03:43 PM
    Well I guess voice and data WILL be possible, I wonder if Verizon would implement this?

"A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc. This device enhancement, which enables these concurrent voice and data services, is independent of the air link standard and infrastructure."

CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases
    Anyone think this will be implemented by Verizon even with LTE on the horizon?
    11-24-09 04:54 PM
    EVDV will not be implemented at all IMHO... why upgrade to that and then upgrade again to LTE?
    11-24-09 05:31 PM
    You can do it on a wi-fi enabled phone w/ a wi-fi connection.

This is true as I can do this with my Storm 9550.
    11-25-09 12:18 AM
    now if you said you did that with a manual transmission, there might be an issue LOL
    My husband always jokes about somebody driving with a cell phone on their ear, a burger in one hand, a drink in the other, and steering with their knees.

Double points if they're using manual transmission! LOL
    11-25-09 12:45 AM
    EVDV will not be implemented at all IMHO... why upgrade to that and then upgrade again to LTE?
    You are correct - except this is not EV-DV. Instead it is SVDO, which is primarily a software update. It will effectively bridge the 1X & the EVDO sides without a large cost.

VZW may adopt it, especially if LTE hurdles continue. Or, people may just decide they want to carry a laptop instead of a smartphone to get that LTE...
    11-25-09 12:50 AM
    my bad sorry
    Last edited by SnakZ; 12-11-09 at 01:03 PM.
    12-11-09 12:49 PM
    My husband always jokes about somebody driving with a cell phone on their ear, a burger in one hand, a drink in the other, and steering with their knees.

Double points if they're using manual transmission! LOL
    I've done it. I have driven while eating a burger, drinking a coke, talking to a client, and smoking all in a manual on the freeway.
    12-11-09 01:49 PM
    What bluerskyes said, if you have wifi you can do it. And wifi is better and faster anyways verizon ftw!

12-11-09 02:02 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD