Hope someone can help. Here's the situation.

I have a Rogers business account with 3 lines on it. One of these belongs to me, one to another employee, and a third which used to belong to a former employee and passed on to my daughter to avoid ETF. Both mine and my daughter's phones are Blackberry Pearls. My daughter's phone used to have a southern Ontario number but I did change that to a local 514 number.

Here's the strange part. My daughter's data use is constantly over 10,000kb each month even though she has no email set up on her account and very little internet use. Data seems to spike each Friday at about 1MB; the rest of the week its at about 500kb each day.

I on the other hand constantly use my phone mostly to pick up office email, and occasional web browsing yet rack up only about 5,000kb per month.

Anyone know what could be causing the high usage on my daughter's account? I've checked out background apps and anything that might be using data but found nothing. She tells me she doesn't browse the web at all and the only 3rd-party apps she has are Google Maps and Color Pearl.

I called Rogers and the rep told me they couldn't tell me what's causing that as they don't have information that detailed. So he offered a 500mb BB BIS data plan for $25/month and I took it (it was either that or huge bills).

Is it possible that since my daugther doesn't have BIS or email set up it is causing this?

Any tip on what to look for is much appreciated...
    05-30-09 08:51 PM
    When she uses google maps does she leave it running or does she turn it off once she arrives at a destination?
    05-31-09 12:48 AM
    she's probably using something that uses a lot of data and not telling you, or there's a glitch on the device, or there's an error on your daughters phone's switch. You can get it reset.
    05-31-09 01:13 AM
    10000kb in a month is not much. Google maps alone can easily explain that usage. If all you are using is bis email and she's using google maps then it makes sense she using more than you. BIS emails are only 2kb each (without scrolling for more or opening attachments).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 06:04 AM
    I had a problem with Rogers too.

I received my last bill with 2GB worth of data consumption in 20 days!
    I've been averaging at around 350MB / month, but that spike has no justification. And no, I don't tether.

Good thing I had unlimited data consumption otherwise I would have been screwed.

I had to wipe my device to avoid any potential high data consumption.
    05-31-09 08:34 AM
    When she uses google maps does she leave it running or does she turn it off once she arrives at a destination?
    Yes, she does turn it off those rare times she uses it since I did warn her about that (i.e. to use the menu key to exit).
    05-31-09 06:27 PM
    she's probably using something that uses a lot of data and not telling you, or there's a glitch on the device, or there's an error on your daughters phone's switch. You can get it reset.
    LoL...no, she is telling me all. Other than those 2 I mentioned my OP there are no other 3rd-party apps installed. And I checked her browser history and there isn't much at all. She tells me she doesn't browse much due to the small screen size of the Pearl.

I'm more inclined to think there is a problem which came about when transferring from the 519 area code to 514. What is this switch you are referring to and how do I reset it?

Thanks to all replies...
    05-31-09 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD