Soooo... How's this going for everyone?

Fully functional yet? Or still a struggle?
    Struggle as in??? The only two things I am a little disappointed with at the moment is:

1. Stuck on 1x at the moment for data. (I'm working on a solution. Will post that when I figure it out.)

2. No BBerry Maps... This has to be a provisioning issue.

Honestly, I think that once the Merger finalizes both of my issues will fix themselves due to the fact that I will be in Verizon's database. Some people are probably why I went through the trouble to do all this. Honestly, I like my Alltel rate plan and had about another year with my 8830. Also, I like to have the newest and best things out

Jonathan
    01-05-09 08:17 PM
    Yeah, I meant struggle with the 1x stuff. So basically, it isn't running data particularly fast then?

BBmaps, oh well. Mine isn't updating with 4.5.0.77 anyways.

I love my Alltel rate plan too. Just wondering if they'll kill MyCircle, that would kill the coolness. I'm out of contract and wouldn't mind nailing down a good Alltel plan for a while, instead of having to jump to what they give me soon.

Now if Storms weren't "quite" so expensive, I'd be pretty darn happy.

Excellent work there man. I'm impressed.
    01-05-09 10:49 PM
    It works!!! I officially have a Storm fully functional on Alltel.

What you need:
    An Alltel Smartchoice plan for Blackberry.
    An Alltel agent willing to do the esn change...
    Blackberry Desktop Software.
    Qxdm (I used version 2.09,00)
    Alltel Prl.
    I recommend already having a Blackberry on Alltel...

Before you start with the Storm:
    1. Backup your previous Blackberry with Desktop Manager. (You can probably just backup the service books but I chose to do a full backup because I wanted everything to be transferred.)

How to:
    1. Begin by going in to nam programming by pressing ##000000 send.
    2. Change your bberry registration id to 144 and go ahead and change your sid and network id. (This is where I would use a Blackberry already on the Alltel network and copy the settings.)
    3. Restore the Storm with Desktop Manager.
    4. Write the alltel prl using QXDM. (Do not use qpst. Bad things have been known to happen with blackberry's) If you are unsure of how to do this I recommend not even messing with it...
    5. Have the agent do the esn change to the Storm.
    6. Activate the phone. (I had to do *22801 to reach Alltel's activation system.) Mine would also revert back to Verizon for awhile so I switched the network to "home only" and that kept it on Alltel. I then dialed *22801 again and updated the prl on the phone and took it off "home only" and it has not reverted since.
    7. Go back to manual nam programming and verify that the settings match your previous Blackberry.

Sip: [email protected]
    Password: alltel (this will be blank after you exit nam programming but will stick)

Mip: [email protected]

6. Make sure you press save and then the phone will restart. The phone should begin to provision and you will see the web. If you have problems, go to options/advanced options/host routing table/ press the blackberry key, and register now. After the registration sends, I pulled my battery, let the phone restart and then it provisioned. The first time provisioning I had a data error so I pulled the battery and restarted the phone. After it finished rebooting, it went to the browser and was ready for email setup.

I hope this works for you... Luckily it did for me.

Please remember to say Thank you!!!
    I followed your steps and have it working now.. just curious as to if you have had any issues with GPS? and when you look under your network connections does it say Alltel? or does it still say Verizon? Tryign to see if I missed something.
    01-16-09 09:10 PM
    try and do it for sprint
    01-16-09 09:12 PM
    try and do it for sprint
    Try and do what for sprint?
    01-16-09 09:18 PM
    get a storm working for it
    01-16-09 09:19 PM
    don't see that happening unless Spring allows outside ESNs on their network and as far as I know they do not.
    01-16-09 09:22 PM
    So...let me get this straight....you hack VZW's Storm....and get it running on Alltel......to only have it back on VZW after the merger??

LOL

Seriously, very inventive..glad to have you guys aboard!
    01-16-09 10:02 PM
    So...let me get this straight....you hack VZW's Storm....and get it running on Alltel......to only have it back on VZW after the merger??

LOL

of course why not.. always up for a challenge. I think it's great since there are plenty of us that would love to use the storm but just aren't quite ready to jump ship for Big Red just yet.
    01-16-09 10:06 PM

LOL

Well depending on the city, state you are in even with the merger a lot of alltel stores will stay alltel if they already have a verizon in that same area. Some are divested, some non divested.
    01-16-09 10:16 PM
    I followed your steps and have it working now.. just curious as to if you have had any issues with GPS? and when you look under your network connections does it say Alltel? or does it still say Verizon? Tryign to see if I missed something.
    I'm pretty sure I noted before that Blackberry Maps is not working right now. I believe it is having a provisioning issue with Alltel and the latest version of maps. Also, under wireless networks, it does still say Verizon Wireless.
    01-17-09 11:32 AM
    get a storm working for it
    Would be simple if you can get the esn change done...
    01-17-09 11:35 AM
    jmotl can you help me out, I made all the changes listed, except the prl thing and it is not working, what are the settings the rest of the screen need? I also had my phone activated and the phone worked just not the browser and maps. Would that make a difference? do I need to deactivate it and then make the changes and then reactivate it?
    01-19-09 04:33 PM
    How about the GPS is it working as well? Just curious
    01-23-09 07:56 PM
    One word... wow!
    01-23-09 08:03 PM

LOL

If you think about it though... you probably wont have to hack it back for quite a while. Only if you want to use Verizon's BB branding.

Alltel has a good chunk of BB users, and I think VZN will keep the ALLTEL BB system active with RIM for at least 2yrs (length of someone on a new contract w/ a Alltel Curve).

So unless you:
    A) Change Plans to a VZN BB plan
    B) Want the VZN store options in the phone

You really don't have to hack it back unless you want to post merger completion. Picked up a Storm for pretty cheap (BNIB too) so going to load 109 on, and then try this.

D.
    02-23-09 07:08 PM
    I would love to try to hack a storm for myself as long as the EVDO would work on it.
    02-24-09 07:29 PM
    It doesn't... yet.

Myself, and another CB member, have narrowed it down to 2 things and we've solved one. That leaves one more and we're trying a bunch of stuff, and talking to some hookups. I'll post if I find a way.
    02-25-09 02:08 AM
    Myself, MyPDAphone and Jmotl (op) have been working on this the past few days pretty hardcore as we ALL wanted EVDO and it looks like we found the culprit. It's been tested on all 3 of our Storms (running on Alltel) and it looks good.

Expect an updated post from the OP shortly (to keep the same info going out he's going to be updating his threads on it).

D.
    02-27-09 07:51 PM
    Myself, MyPDAphone and Jmotl (op) have been working on this the past few days pretty hardcore as we ALL wanted EVDO and it looks like we found the culprit. It's been tested on all 3 of our Storms (running on Alltel) and it looks good.

Expect an updated post from the OP shortly (to keep the same info going out he's going to be updating his threads on it).

D.
    These guys were a huge help!

Only thing i have left to do is get the 40k series PRL in the storm but im not all that worried about that.
    03-07-09 11:03 PM
    You guys should post pics of your storms working on alltel.
    for proof!
    03-08-09 12:08 PM
    Umm... not sure how that'd really be possible as visually it's the same (since the internal coding is for Verizon).

Really the only "visual" difference, outside the obvious settings posted on page 1, is that it has my "[email protected]" on it showing I'm on the Alltel BIS setup.
    03-08-09 07:50 PM
    This may seem like a stupid question but when I did the ##000000 I am not able to change my Blackberry registration number for the storm. I tried everything.. maybe I'm just missing something really obvious.
    04-07-09 09:15 PM
    I have a Storm on Alltel but no browser...not even an icon. I reverted to a normal plan 85 bucks for 1000 minutes with 2nd line free...and will wait until VZW officially takes over to get the browser. At that point I see it that I own my phone and my plan is 85 bucks...go ahead and add that 30 dollar BB plan and we're good. If the big red monster wants to argue that I will just continue to use wifi on my ipod touch for free and keep my plan as is. And if they dont like me using Storm with no data plan they can GIVE me a phone of my choice for free or release both of my lines from contract. This is a tough economy to argue with people about owning a BB and not using the browser...and therefore not paying for it.
    04-08-09 09:54 PM
    Does anyone know how to get MMS to work on the storm
    04-10-09 09:17 AM
117 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD