I live in Washington DC. Verizon and AT&T are pretty much neck-and-neck in terms of service quality here (except Verizon gets service in the underground parts of the Metro). I am a fan of both the Storm (used it in-store without any leaked firmware and found it pretty good) and the Bold. The storm's sexy and I like the touch screen, but the Bold has the tantalizing Wi-Fi and a great keyboard.

Verizon's more expensive than AT&T, but nationwide their network is great and I know they're gonna mostly complete their LTE rollout by something like the end of 2010.

Thoughts?
    04-28-09 08:18 PM
    You want a physical keyboard or a touchscreen what it basically comes down too. Also how often are you in wifi enabled areas to take advantage of the bold's wifi?
    04-28-09 08:21 PM
    Bold. By the time your contract is up with AT&T, you can switch to Verizon for LTE if you want. I wouldn't use the Storm if someone gave it to me for free, but I would sell it.
    04-28-09 08:25 PM
    You want a physical keyboard or a touchscreen what it basically comes down too. Also how often are you in wifi enabled areas to take advantage of the bold's wifi?
    Very often. Mom and dad's house both have wifi, school has wifi, work has wifi (I think...), lots of restaurants and cafes have wifi, many hotels have wifi. It'd be nice actually, because I get bad phone service (from any carrier) in my house. So the more I can use stuff on wifi (and yeah, I know apps have to be programmed to take advantage of wifi) the better.
    04-28-09 08:28 PM
    Very often. Mom and dad's house both have wifi, school has wifi, work has wifi (I think...), lots of restaurants and cafes have wifi, many hotels have wifi.
    I'd say go for the Bold, a lot of people here have jumped ship on the Storm, it has its issues.
    04-28-09 08:29 PM
    Is there any possibility of AT&T bringing UMA to their wifi devices?
    04-28-09 08:44 PM
    My brother went to the inauguration, and was able to use his Verizon cell (not a blackberry) without issue, but said he saw a lot of iPhone users who couldn't make calls because the AT&T network was overloaded.
    04-28-09 09:12 PM
    both are great phones, i'm on at&t and love it i really love the bold i like having the buttons
    04-28-09 09:14 PM
    both are great phones, i'm on at&t and love it i really love the bold i like having the buttons!
    04-28-09 09:15 PM
    Neither, tmo and an 8900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 11:49 PM
    Use the IPhone. Wi-Fi and touch screen.
    04-29-09 12:18 AM
    If TMobile is an option there, I would buy the bold, unlock service, and take to tmo. thats just me though. Love the bold.
    04-29-09 09:41 AM
    All the people who love bolds have never messed with the 8900 which is a far superior device, if you are in dc then wifi abounds making 3g obsolete, the bold doesn't have uma which the 8900 does and the 8900 has abetter camera, is faster overall and has more internal memory

04-29-09 11:35 AM
    I looooove my Bold, but not AT&T's service, however I was on Verizon a few years back and looooved their service (but not their phones at the time). Overall I agree with most, comes down to touchscreen or QWERTY. Good luck.
    04-29-09 11:57 AM
    Verizon! I'm in the same area, and it does amuse me to get stares as I surf Crackberry underground in the metro, lol.
    04-29-09 12:27 PM
    I returned my Bold and went with a Storm and happy I did. Service was more of an issue. If I didn't want to drop calls, i had to disable 3g data. Verizon has no wifi, but the voice and data network are much more reliable for me. Nothing more frustrating than needing to use your phone and being unable.

While there are a lot of folks who don't like the Storm, there are a lot of folks who do. All smartphones require some "maintenance" (battery pulls, resets, etc.) and the Storm has a few more issues than most. However, browsing (for me) is much better on the Storm. Also checking email, viewing pictures, etc. However, if you send a lot of texts or worse emails, a physical keyboard is probably better. Setting up tasks, calender were much easier on the Bold.

All in all, depends on what you use the phone for, coverage and what you are willing to put up with. Don't forget, who you call. If most people you call are on AT&T/Verizon, that may decide it for you. Good luck
    04-29-09 12:42 PM
    Bold. By the time your contract is up with AT&T, you can switch to Verizon for LTE if you want. I wouldn't use the Storm if someone gave it to me for free, but I would sell it.
    Funny, I wouldn't have AT&T service for free!
    04-29-09 12:47 PM
    Neither, tmo and an 8900

If TMobile is an option there, I would buy the bold, unlock service, and take to tmo. thats just me though. Love the bold.
    All the people who love bolds have never messed with the 8900 which is a far superior device, if you are in dc then wifi abounds making 3g obsolete, the bold doesn't have uma which the 8900 does and the 8900 has abetter camera, is faster overall and has more internal memory

I've heard mixed things about TMobile's service in DC. Some people are fine with it, others say it sucks.
    04-29-09 10:29 PM

You know what happens when you assume things right? I have used the 8900 before. I do not like it. I find the keyboard on the Bold to be much better. Camera? Who cares? I don't buy a phone for a good camera, that's what my digital camera is for. Yes the 8900 has more memory and can use UMA. The Bold is more powerful and it has 3G.

04-29-09 10:49 PM
    Verizon = great customer service and coverage with crappy Storm.
    AT&T=****ty CS and coverage with a nice Bold.
    04-29-09 11:46 PM
    The bold is less powerful than the 8900, and who cares about 3g when wifi abounds

04-30-09 12:18 AM
    The bold is less powerful than the 8900, and who cares about 3g when wifi abounds

Agree.. Recommend Curve 8900..

04-30-09 02:05 PM
    I really love my service with verizon. I'm not around DC but I get great service. I would go with verizon and either get a storm(love mine and yes it does need some help but I love it). I would maybe hold off and get a TOUR if you want that keyboard but I type fast as heck on my storm. Love to have options but get man its all up to you in the end.

04-30-09 02:36 PM
    The way things stand right now VZW has the upper hand due to better coverage IMO. I don't pick a carrier based on phone selection, I pick it based on service area (and can't comprehend why people wouldn't, but to each his own). Modern day phones are very cool, but bottom line is, its still a phone, and is only as good as the coverage area cuz if you have no signal you have no phone. If you have to depend on WIFI for internet, you still have no phone. I couldn't imagine being stranded in an area with no way to call for help. With all that being said, I'm a loyal VZW guy, but AT&T has an opportunity of a lifetime to become the overall leader in wireless companies if the rumor holds true and they purchase the 24 markets of Alltel that VZW has to sell (I'm sure at the expense of higher rates). I'm very happy where I'm at...I use a Storm (which is a great phone with a leaked OS on it) and VZW has me covered virtually everywhere I go. Its a decision we all have to make, and with many factors to be considered. As far as plans and rates go...eventually everybody will be able to call everybody for free I'm sure.

04-30-09 02:37 PM
    I have been a loyal VZW customer for years. I travel around the country and no carrier can beat VZW coverage. The customer service is better than average and the price point is acceptable.

I just upgraded to the Storm and an loving it !!! The touchscreen has always been a draw for me. Once you have it for a while the typing on it is a breeze.

IMO, Wi-Fi is over rated. Get the Storm.
    04-30-09 02:45 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD