Hello, I been reading through the treads looking for a thread that address the unlocking for the Blackberry 8830 WE.

I have the codes to unlock the phone. I am looking to transfer my service to Metro PCS and I was wondering when I transfer my phone, how do I regrister a new number with Metro.

When Metro give me the new number, how do I program to the phone? I just purchase the blackberry from sprint so its a newer verison and I believe that the newer verison are able to program with a new provider?

Does anybody have experience with this?

thanks,

nick
    10-29-08 09:05 AM
    Have Metro do it. If they cannot, then you can't. You need the MSL code to get in and program the CDMA radio, but even after that, the PRL info needs to be that of MetroPCS. This is something that they must do for you. It's too involved to do by someone who hasn't done it before. Call Metro and see what they say.
    10-29-08 09:18 AM
    Thanks, I have the mls code from sprint, they didnt want to give it to me and always asking questions. I told to give me the code and sent them to ****.

So now I will need from Metro to do the rest?

thanks I appreciate it.
    10-29-08 10:32 AM
    If metropcs is a gsm provider this phone will not work as the 8830 is locked to international gsm frequencies only and does not have the capability to work on domestic one with or without a lock code. Also the MSL is a code simply used for programming your cell number and mobile system ID CDMA phones from carriers like sprint and verizon cannot cross to other carriers cause the necessary information is hardcoded in a chip on the board this is why a sim card is not required for operation domestically. Carriers like at&t and tmobile use gsm phones and the carrier information is stored on the sim card not a hardcoded chip. Gsm phones are net locked by a puk code that when entered removes the network restriction so u can use another carriers sim card in that phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 12:58 PM
    Well, thats the thing, Metro PCS is on a CDMA network? So this is why I am inquring about if I am to use my new metro number with the blackberry?
    10-29-08 01:50 PM
    Being they are cdma then u will NOT be able to use it as the hardcoded network information will not match

10-29-08 01:53 PM
    You need to call Metro and find out if they support OTA programming and what they set their MSL codes to. Honestly, why don't you just go into a Metro store or call their tech support and ask them what you need to do to get this to work?

If you were moving the phone to Verizon, I'd tell you to change the MSL to 6 zeros and then get online and try to add the ESN from the phone to your account. If it took , then all you'd have to do is OTA program it and you'd theoretically be done. One minor issue you have initially is the fact that the PRL is a Sprint one and not a MetroPCS one. So, the initial network connectivity to Metro's network for OTA programing (if they support it) will be the big gotcha here. That's why I said you may need to go into a store or at least talk to a smart CSR about this.
    10-29-08 07:44 PM
    OTA programming will not overwrite the hard coded network code from sprint. Also the phone does not give you the ability to change the MSL. People do not understand without a cmos programmer and the programming code from the carrier u want to go to (which is proprietary and impossible to get) as well as an advanced knowledge of chip programming there is no way to take a CDMA phone of any brand/carrier over to another CDMA carrier. As cdma is primarily US only the phones are made to be proprietary whereas GSM phones are made to have the ability to cross the carrier barrier.

10-30-08 02:10 AM
    OTA programming will not overwrite the hard coded network code from sprint. Also the phone does not give you the ability to change the MSL. People do not understand without a cmos programmer and the programming code from the carrier u want to go to (which is proprietary and impossible to get) as well as an advanced knowledge of chip programming there is no way to take a CDMA phone of any brand/carrier over to another CDMA carrier. As cdma is primarily US only the phones are made to be proprietary whereas GSM phones are made to have the ability to cross the carrier barrier.

Bullisht. You can change the MSL with QPST. I've done it several times. I don't think you know what you're talking about. There's nothing hardcoded on the radio of the phone. The MSL controls access to the Qualcomm chipset for gaining access to program it. The MSL can even be pulled off the phone itself with another tool (no need to even call the carrier). Once you're past the MSL, anything can be changed on the radio chipset. The PRL controls the tower linkup connections for the carrier's network. This usually comes down via either a flash or OTA programming depending on the carrier and their capabilities. The ESN being able to be added to the carrier's cell network servers is really the key to getting it all to work. Some carriers don't allow for non-carrier branded CDMA phones to be added to their network.

It can be done, I've seen a person do it with a WinMo smartphone and the key changes had nothing to do with OS, so a Blackberry would behave the same way. If you have the software to do it, it is possible. That's why I told the OP to just call Metro about it. The OP doesn't seem to be aware of what needs to be done, so the path of least resistance for them could be to just get Metro to do it. If they refuse, well, then they can try other avenues, but if Metro will not or can not add the ESN to their network to service the phone, it doesn't matter on the other points of the process obviously.
    10-30-08 10:52 AM
    so that means it is capable to connect my sprint 8830 blackberry to metro pcs service????????????
    12-13-08 02:57 AM
    [QUOTE=bettsy420;1172565]so that means it is capable to connect my sprint 8830 blackberry to metro pcs service????????????has anybody tried pls. answer back...............thanks
    12-13-08 03:00 AM
    [QUOTE=bettsy420;1172566]
    so that means it is capable to connect my sprint 8830 blackberry to metro pcs service????????????has anybody tried pls. answer back...............thanks
    It is possible. However it is up to the provider to allow this phone on their network.

12-13-08 12:40 PM
    Sorry to change the subject, but why are you switching to Metro PCS???
    12-15-08 08:27 PM
    Well, i have a blackberry Pearl and i am using it with Metro PCS, ofcourse, it only works as a phone and text messaging.
    I call the people at Metro and asked for information regarding MetroPCS on a blackberry phone and they told me that they are not doing that, no smart phones, so i told him that's funny cuz i am using my blackberry right now with metro PCS, so he told me well, we are actually working on that on a bigger scale where people with smart phones can come to Metro and use some of the online required features but nothing crazy.
    Whatever, i just want to stop the myth that smart phones can not be used with Metro PCS.

I had OS v4.3 on my phone so i went and did the upgrade to the OS v4.5 to be able to get a storm theme and guess what???

Yea, i messed the whole thing up, i'm back with Sprint, i hope i can get it to work again soon.
    01-21-09 01:25 PM
    if this is not already posted somewhere else, March metroPCS introduces the curve only at BestBuy
    02-04-09 06:21 AM
    I have a 8330 verizon and if I pull the sim card I can't get any service so I guess ft lauderdale isn't domestic anymore.
    Ps running os v 4.5
    Last edited by Timinftl; 04-01-09 at 02:02 PM.
    04-01-09 01:58 PM
    Being they are cdma then u will NOT be able to use it as the hardcoded network information will not match

I have my blackberry 8830 from sprint currently on metro. I am currently working on the browser. Does anyone have the Metro Pcs browser service books?

Thanks
    04-28-09 04:51 PM
    YES YOU CAN flash your blackberry curve to Metro PCS. I programed it and now I have unlimited calling, unlimited texting and unlimited data usage. I have this service for a few of the Metro PCS dealers and they all send me there phones to flash. Email me for details. I GUARANTY YOUR PHONE WILL WORK!
    06-19-09 11:15 PM
    from miami !!

i have a sprint 8330 curve on metro with sms mms internet. But i need an aim client and instango and beejive give me errors and my free trial of IM+ ended. any help??
    06-28-09 10:37 PM
    Sunny I got a ?. I live in miami and just got a sprint 8330 and was looking for a reliable place to take it to get flashed to metro pcs, do you know of any?
    06-30-09 08:54 PM
    yeah ill pm you
    07-01-09 02:57 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts to pm or email. I'm new to the forums. I need to flash a Verizon Blackberry Pearl to Metro PCS. I live in LA. I don't want to do it myself, does anybody know a location?
    07-01-09 07:48 PM
    I was also wondering if there was anyone in Miami who could do this properly. Sunny do you mind pm me? I am new to the forum and cannot pm or email you. Thanks.
    07-02-09 08:57 AM
    youve been pmed poonkat....i wish someone would help me! lol
    07-06-09 05:50 PM
    I have an 8830WE pls send the flash 4 metro
    07-06-09 11:05 PM
119 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD