I tried putting in a tmobile ans ATT Sim in the phone both came up as invalid. did MEP then MEP2 and it says network active. I thought th sprint Tour came unlocked ??

Can anyone confirm it works with T-mobile or ATT, I know the Verizon version when unlocked will work. I've been trying but no go with the sprint version
    07-14-09 10:51 PM
    If it says the network is active, it's not unlocked. It's needs to say disabled to be unlocked. The Sprint Tour doesn't come unlocked, but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work on AT&T when it is unlocked.
    07-14-09 10:54 PM
    I tried putting in a tmobile ans ATT Sim in the phone both came up as invalid. did MEP then MEP2 and it says network active. I thought th sprint Tour came unlocked ??

Can anyone confirm it works with T-mobile or ATT, I know the Verizon version when unlocked will work. I've been trying but no go with the sprint version
    I would verify whether or not the Tour is in fact "unlocked" first. A co-worker of mine has her unlocked VZW BB Storm running on TMobile USA (sms, BB Email, Browser, etc...) just fine so I see no reason why the Tour wouldn't.
    07-14-09 10:54 PM
    Can anyone confirm this?

The 8830 for Sprint was definetly unlocked. And i think i remember readying from the Sprint press release that the Tour was going to be unlocked also.
    07-14-09 11:05 PM
    My tour is NOT unlocked to work on tmobile or ATT, it says invalid SIM
    07-15-09 10:26 AM
    This phone will not work on an American GSM network.
    07-15-09 02:29 PM
    This phone WILL work on an American GSM network, just not an American HSPA network! It has 850/1900 2G EDGE bands.

As for it being unlocked, it sounds like they unlocked it for overseas only, which would make sense IMO.
    07-15-09 02:33 PM
    This

The fact that it has a sim card slot and that it can be unlocked does not mean you can just toss any sim card in it and run. The phone will only work on GSM networks abroad.
    07-15-09 02:37 PM
    This

The fact that it has a sim card slot and that it can be unlocked does not mean you can just toss any sim card in it and run. The phone will only work on GSM networks abroad.
    You mean like the Storm? Or like the 8830?

Edit:
    Pretty Sure it can...

Last edited by sandos; 07-15-09 at 02:50 PM.
    07-15-09 02:41 PM
    This

You my friend, are mistaken. I got my Verizon Tour unlocked and was able to use it on the AT&T network yesterday. The Tour is Quad Band unlike the 8830, therefore it can and will run on ANY GSM carrier.
    07-15-09 02:49 PM
    You my friend, are mistaken. I got my Verizon Tour unlocked and was able to use it on the AT&T network yesterday. The Tour is Quad Band unlike the 8830, therefore it can and will run on ANY GSM carrier.

you are correct. The phone supports all GSM bands. It will support HSPA (3G) overseas but will only do EDGE in North America. But overall, it will still work in North America.
    07-15-09 03:05 PM
    So, I happened to run across a BB9630 Tour from Sprint. Does anyone have confirmation on this being unlocked. This is a Quad-Band phone. This is also from Sprints website:

Dual Network Capability for International Travel
    The BlackBerry Tour 9630 offers the ability to use one device both in the U.S. and while traveling outside of North America. This phone supports CDMA, 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM networks.

Unlocked SIM Device
    Use in-market carrier SIM cards while traveling abroad

or does this just mean outside the U.S.? Or am I still going to have to get this unlocked from the various companies that do it?
    07-15-09 05:33 PM
    Got my sprint tour unlocked and it works with att it also works with T-Mobile but I cant make calls with it on T-Mobile, does anybody know y?
    10-02-09 09:34 AM
    My Sprint Tour is unlocked and I used my sisters AT&T sim and it worked like a charm (on EDGE of course).
    10-02-09 09:43 AM
    There is a mis-understanding in this thread. When Sprint says the phone is "unlocked", what they really mean is, it's "partially unlocked". Meaning, you can use any SIM so long as it's not an ATT or T-Mobile SIM.

To truly unlock the phone you need the 16 digit unlock code.

If you call sprint and they say your phone is unlocked, they mean it's unlocked to use sim cards abroad. NOT AN ATT OR T-MOBILE SIM.
    12-23-09 11:16 PM
    Nope you are wrong. Most newer Sprint Tours are usually unlocked. You cana lways verify this ahead of time by going into options>advanced options>sim card> and typing mepd and making sure everything says "disabled"
    12-24-09 09:57 AM
    I unlocked my verizon tour with an eight digit unlock code and everything now shows disabled except the Network option. I can use the phone on any network with a sim card but i think because i didnt use the 16 digit code, the phone still has the network option showing inactive versus disabled as it should.

Can anyone advise how i could go about unlocking to change the network status to disabled?
    12-30-09 10:02 AM
    Everything else is already disabled. The "code" you entered didn't disable anything that already was.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 10:03 AM
    The code i entered did disable something because i couldn't use my provider's sim card in the phone until after i entered the unlock code. after i entered the code, i could use the sim card but i'm having data issues an i think its because of the network option still showing inactive. is there a way to change that option to disabled? i believe that if i do, i will be able to get rid of the data issues i am having. I dont mind paying but only if it will work for sure.
    12-30-09 10:07 AM
    Inactive means disabled. Just need to switch it to 2G under network options then reboot the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 10:10 AM
    The code i entered did disable something because i couldn't use my provider's sim card in the phone until after i entered the unlock code. after i entered the code, i could use the sim card but i'm having data issues an i think its because of the network option still showing inactive. is there a way to change that option to disabled? i believe that if i do, i will be able to get rid of the data issues i am having. I dont mind paying but only if it will work for sure.
    Which Data issues are you having?
    12-30-09 11:17 AM
    @jamhustla...if network shows as disabled or inactive..phone is unlocked
    12-30-09 12:07 PM
    @jamhustla...if network shows as disabled or inactive..phone is unlocked
    The phone browses the internet very slow and you can see that no data is being sent or received because the little arrows hardly show. Also, i cannot download anything and as soon as the download starts, there is no activity and then a message says "download failed" and when i check details it says "903: Loss of service". The apps I'm trying to download are like MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger.

This is very strange because i have had curve 8310 and 8320 which worked flawless with my provider but now the Tour isn't functioning well. My provider says everything looks fine on their end.

help!!!!!!
    12-30-09 12:50 PM
    Did you load the Service Books manually to your phone?
    12-30-09 12:58 PM
    Yup I was able to get all my email, internet, and bbm working on the TOUR I had b4
    12-31-09 03:35 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD