I just got off the phone with yet another CS rep about my charging problem. I have had my 8330 for 2 months and I have been having some problems charging the phone from the first week. Last week I finally figured out that the charger port on the side of the phone was to blame. I took it into the store and within 10 minutes was told that I had to call CS and give them $100 for a replacement phone. I came home and called Sprint CS and got the same terrible explanation. I have not dropped it or done anything else except plug in the charger every night when I get home! We have been customers for almost 10 years and they won't do a thing about it.

To add insult to injury, I received my $100 rebate in the mail on Friday.

Lesson Learned: Total Equipment Protection is BS.
    09-06-09 04:56 PM
    I'm new to sprint, only a week in, but id assume total protection means it would be covered, but like all claims, you have to pay the deductible?
    09-06-09 05:02 PM
    Get a charging dock. Amazon has an OEM one for cheap.
    09-06-09 05:07 PM
    I just got off the phone with yet another CS rep about my charging problem. I have had my 8330 for 2 months and I have been having some problems charging the phone from the first week.

Why is this not covered under the warranty? You have a two month old phone with a defective charging port, invoke your warranty rights. As others have said a charging cradle will allow you to charge without plugging into the side port but this should still be repaired under the warranty.
    09-06-09 05:50 PM
    Lesson Learned: Total Equipment Protection is BS.[/QUOTE]

Say you should think about at&t. If you were with at&t, insurance or not, you're covered for a year so wouldn't have to pay anything.
    09-06-09 06:05 PM
    Something is not adding up here. Sprint TEP covers everything. If you take your phone into a store for repair and it's a mechanical issue you don't have to pay the $100 deductible.

If you have water damage or your phone is lost or stolen that's when the $100 fee kicks in.

Here's the link to the PDF files of what's covered and whats not. Years ago I had a problem getting equipment fixed/replaced because the employees don't understand the program.

Print out both files and take them with you to the store. With proof in hand they can't argue.
    09-06-09 06:23 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The girl at the store was very short and had no explanation except that it was deemed physical damage. I'm not phone expert, but I am a bit of a computer geek. I can look into the charger port and see all 5 pins lined up the way they should be. I think the problem is on the board itself and not externally. I'm very easy on all of my electronics and I have never had any problems with other phones before. I went into a different store this morning and they recommended that I take it to another service center and get a second opinion. They also gave me the number of the regional tech support manager.

Going forward, I'll be extra gentle with the port, but in the meantime, I have a really fancy looking paperweight.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I fare tomorrow.
    09-07-09 11:56 AM
    Charging Port was never covered in the insurance plan
    09-07-09 12:16 PM
    either way should get a new phone its only two months old
    09-07-09 01:06 PM
    the port was probably loose, hence considered board level damage. Take a thumb tack and carefully touch the black part of the port..if it wiggles, its broken. Also take off your battery cover, and look down where the port is..then do the thumb tack thing, but on the metal border..if u can see it move from inside, it's broken. If it doesn't move, and like you say your pins are fine..Your getting hosed. Call Tech Support, and tell them that your phone won't charge. If they tell you to go to a store, tell them you don't have time for that, and please send a replacement per your warranty.
    09-07-09 03:23 PM
    Should have got the insurance at bestbuy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 03:53 PM
    either way should get a new phone its only two months old
    I agree.....
    09-07-09 04:00 PM
    You can call into tech support and request an Eticket exchange. 90% of the time there is no cost involved if you have TEP.
    09-08-09 08:33 AM
    if the charger is off of the board you can yell and scream all you want but it is considered physically damaged and the will not replace it thru TEP you have to file a claim with assurion. as for the insurance, you can pay 100 for a new phone or 569 for the replacement, be my guest to drop the insurance but i think a $100 is a **** of a better deal than $569. Unless Im wrong.....
    09-08-09 08:53 AM
    I just got back from the other Sprint tech center with better news. The charger port is loose on the board. This has made the connection difficult resulting in a few pins becoming bent. The store manager was awesome! He has the same phone and had the same problem with a prior phone. He said that his hands are tied and he could not give me a replacement. The Sprint TEP does not cover it and there isn't a way around it. He did recommend calling RIM and taking it up with them as the BB was under the 1 year warranty. He also suggested calling tech support and CS to complain about the coverage of their so-called 'TOTAL Equipment Protection'.
    09-08-09 11:03 AM
    TEP does cover it, but it comes with a deductible. Complaining about that point is a waste of time. Asurion, the insurance company, charges that fee. As they do with other carriers if physical damage is determined. I'd suggest looking at the details of the TEP program, so that you know exactly what your paying for.
    09-08-09 11:43 AM
    Hi let me try this again and ill put it into steps so you guys can get it.

1. Call into sprint tech support
    2. Request Blackberry support if you dont get directed correctly
    3. Tell the rep you need to do an eticket exchange (Usually $0 .. nada .. zip ... ZERO cost to you)
    4. Get your replacement phone an 2-3 days.

Any questions?
    09-08-09 11:51 AM
    As to what Githalantas is stating, it will usually be done through the E-ticket process as long as your device has not been replace more then 2 to 3 times, and to verify the process he is correct, I'm his mgr I should know right? ^_^
    09-08-09 12:42 PM
    Stalker Omg
    09-08-09 12:45 PM
    Of course...
    09-08-09 12:46 PM
    The total equipment protection covers normal wear and tear and I believe the charging port falls into that category. The only thing with that is that it falls into the service and repair portion of the coverage which will get you repair at a Sprint repair and service center or replacement with a refurb or reconditioned phone. They could even give you another phone.

Personally, Ive never had any problems with the Sprint TEP. Ive had my phone replaced in store for manufacturer defects with a brand new one. I really cant believe that people have these types of problems with this.
    09-08-09 01:00 PM

3. Tell the rep you need to do an eticket exchange (Usually $0 .. nada .. zip ... ZERO cost to you)

Any questions?
    So what you're saying is all I have to do is call Sprint Tech Support, ask for an e-tick...heheehe, nevermind.

I'll call those guys tonight when I get home. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Thanks a ton!
    Brian
    09-08-09 01:33 PM

Any questions?
    Wow, that was easy. I have a phone on the way with ZERO dollars out of my pocket (the way I thought it should be). Thank you so much for your help!!
    09-08-09 05:03 PM
    You can do it online for Sprint without talking to anyone and it's free!

Google: Sprint advanced exchange online!

You have to answer a couple of questions, but it's well worth it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 05:31 PM

This actually worked for my 8330 with the same problem.
    They did say to make sure you mailed the phone back in 10 days or I
    would be charged a $200 nonrefundable fee for the phone.
    Good luck
    Sandy
    09-08-09 05:33 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD