07-24-08 01:28 PM
    Let's see...you pay to build them, then you sell them cause you need cash, then you lease back something you already paid for. That sounds like what you do just before you bo broke. It insures that there is enough cash on hand to pay the executives their severence packages. Sheesh
    07-24-08 01:44 PM
    Let's see...you pay to build them, then you sell them cause you need cash, then you lease back something you already paid for. That sounds like what you do just before you bo broke. It insures that there is enough cash on hand to pay the executives their severence packages. Sheesh
    I agree the future of Sprint doesn't look good.
    07-24-08 02:46 PM
    What the heck? I'm giving them 75 bucks a month! What are they doing with it? Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 05:12 PM
    Verizon will be buying them up
    07-24-08 05:23 PM
    Maybe they will be bought out soon
    07-24-08 05:24 PM
    Hmm I havent a clue why they did this, but its as you all say. Sprint's downfall is coming soon... And that means I'm outta a job! Oh wait! I work for EDS not Sprint. Silly me~
    07-24-08 06:48 PM
    I think that you will find that it is very common process for businesses to sell assets and then lease them back -- even ones they just built or bought. It helps in several financial performance calculations that the street looks at like return on net assets, debt ratios, etc, which in turn affects stock price, analyst recommendations, and credit rating. Car factories, corporate headquarters, retail locations, machinery in factories...... all very common. This is not a sign of financial weakness. It IS a sign of a strong CFO.

Every once in a while there are even a few government brain cells that figure the same thing out -- it's called privatization in that case.
    07-24-08 07:28 PM
    VZW couldn't buy them. Ever heard of anti-trust laws?

07-24-08 07:30 PM
    What the heck? I'm giving them 75 bucks a month! What are they doing with it? Haha

roflmao!! I dont think they are misappropriating your $75.
    07-24-08 07:32 PM
    VZW could buy Sprint. They're buying Alltel, and there would still be other providers so VZW wouldn't be a monopoly. And since I don't like Verizon I'd have to go to one of those other providers. Or move to another country and try the services there.
    07-24-08 09:14 PM
    Anti-trust isn't just about a "monopoly" it is about having too great of a share of a particular industry. VZW is not necessarily able to purchase all of Alltel because they would own too big a portion of the market share. If they were close with Alltel then they would definitely be over with Sprint. Because Sprint is number 3 or 4 if I remember correctly. The whole Google/Yahoo! psuedo merger thing had the anti-trust people looking at them really hard.

07-24-08 09:20 PM
    I read today that VZW may sell of some assests to reduce the look of monoply or majority of the market. But on the other hand what is being looked at is in areas that alltel covers anyway.
    07-24-08 09:51 PM
    That's my point, no company that could afford to purchase Sprint could actually purchase Sprint because they would own too much of the market. If another company would sell off enough to purchase Sprint they may not have enough to sustain their own company thereby reducing their own profitability. There is no easy solution on this, I doubt highly that Sprint is going under any time soon.

07-24-08 09:58 PM
    damn i hope crappy *** verizon dont buy out sprint. their plans suck balls.
    07-24-08 10:57 PM
    Theirs plans don't suck, they are just slightly more expensive. They wouldn't be competitive if they were much different than everyone else. They aren't going to buy Sprint, it wouldn't make sense.

07-24-08 11:04 PM
    yeah i was just saying, their plans suck because they are more expensive.
    07-24-08 11:11 PM
    Forgive me for arguing semantics here but to say they "suck" is to say they are inferior. If they are more expensive then why not just say they are more expensive. Then there would be no confusion in what you mean.

07-24-08 11:14 PM
    i sincerely apologize for using the word "suck"

they are in a way inferior however, do to the fact that with cheaper sprint plans, sprint customers will have more options and capability. for example gps included, sprint tv, music. thats all i'm going to say.
    07-24-08 11:20 PM
    Don't read too much into this....

Tower companies are the way of the future. It's cheaper to rent than to own in this particular situation.
    07-24-08 11:31 PM
    ITS GOOD BUSINESS. IT allows for better tax write offs and cash flow.

We have a man here in Illinois who owns about 20 car dealers. He buys the land and builds the dealer then leases it back to his company, major tax advantages
    07-25-08 01:04 AM
    Well after katrina AT&T, cellular south, T-Mobile, and sprint started to rent towers here in Mississippi. It made it easier to have one tower with several service providers on it. TV, radio, and other things like law enforcement, emergancy management makes that an easy out. Just think of it like this sprint sells the towers...you buy them...and sprint keeps their node on them, then you rent to sprint, Verizon, cellular south, at&t, and a whole slew of other local people. Wow a whole lot of cash for you eh! Sprint doesn't have to service the system any more! Out here it seems to work. The cell reception went way up after everything got back to normal. The cost of upkeep will kill one, but the upkeep of one tower with 5 renting it makes for very good money. Keeps sprint's bill down and places it with someone who has time for that.
    07-25-08 02:22 AM
    Forgive me for arguing semantics here but to say they "suck" is to say they are inferior. If they are more expensive then why not just say they are more expensive. Then there would be no confusion in what you mean.

Heaven forbid you use non-profanity on a public forum.

If they thought the plans suck, I have no issues with people saying it. Come on, its a persons opinion.

07-25-08 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD