I searched "data only plans" on google and found Sprint Relay. (Data Only Plan - Sprint Relay Store) From what I've been reading these plans were designed for the deaf and hard of hearing. However, I can't find anything that says no one else can sign up.

I'm a full time college student and only work 20 hours a week. I have to pay for gas, food, and my phone bill so I'm just trying to find ways to save money. For $29.99 a month the plan includes unlimited data and messaging. This would save me about $30 a month and to me that would help a lot.

Can anyone sign up for this plan even though it was designed for the deaf and hard of hearing? I know it's a moral thing too since it's kind of taking advantage, but I'm a broke college student so I think you'll understand
    Last edited by FutureCrackBerryAbuser; 01-14-10 at 09:48 PM.
    01-14-10 09:33 PM
    I know of people who have. However, remember you cannot add a minute plan on it and they're 20 cents local and 40 cents long distance.

I haven't done it myself and don't know if people have to jump through any hoops to do this. And as you said, it is a moral issue as well, it is a service provided and intended for people who are hearing impaired.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 09:43 PM
    i'll assume you don't have sprint, because only new customers can sign up for sprint relay (you can't change your current sprint plan to relay). there are no restrictions on new customers for signing up (unlike the iphone data only plan which requires proof of disability). keep in mind though you cannot have voicemail, call forwarding, etc on this plan. you can however remove the call block and receive incoming calls, which if you answer you get charged a per min rate (as mentioned above). also you must order phones online, you cannot get them from a sprint store. that also means no best buy/radioshack deals, phones through sprint only. not to mention you cannot become a premier customer (which gets you new customer prices on phones every 12 months) under the relay data only plan.

with all that said, sprint relay is the best deal through any major carrier if you hardly ever use voice minutes. if you want to get really creative, you can use google voice and a sip client to make and receive voip calls through your data connection (like skype) for free. that would mean for $29.99, you get unlimited data and messages, 5GB/mo tethering, and can make and receive voip calls for free. pretty sweet deal. unfortunately no true blackberry voip application exists, so you would have to get an android or wm phone to make calls over your data connection.

you could also go the boost cdma route. boost is owned by sprint, so they have the same network. although they have the 8330 coming out officially for boost cdma, you can also get sprint blackberrys activated on boost if you're tricky about it (see this forum). many people have gotten totally unlimited plans with sprint blackberrys for $50/mo, only downside is no BIS. but with the new boost cdma blackberry plan this might change (keep checking the previously mentioned forum).

wow, i swear i usually don't use that many parenthesis (i think).
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 01-14-10 at 11:37 PM.
    01-14-10 11:27 PM
    sounds like a hastle to me i rather pay my $40 a month lol im also a full time college student how come you dont get your parents to join a family plan its cheaper that waY?
    01-14-10 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD