So, I have an 8830 with Sprint. I have the insurance policy, and if I understand correctly, for some things (general malfunctions), I can get my phone replaced for free, but for others (water damage, etc) it costs $50 to replace my phone.

Lately I've been dl'ing a lot of different themes and 3rd part apps. If one of them were to mess up or completely "brick" my phone, would Sprint replace it, and would I have to pay the fee?

I only dl apps or themes from forums where I'm able to read reviews from other users first, so I don't think I'm gonna have any trouble. Is there anything else I should avoid? What types of dl's are most likely to cause problems?

Any info would be appreciated.
    04-17-09 09:14 PM
    Hummm. I thought it was $50 no matter what. I didn't know there was ever any free, except within the first 30 days.

I'll have to check on that.
    04-17-09 09:34 PM
    I could easily be mistaken, but that was my understanding.
    04-17-09 09:39 PM
    If you take your phone into a store and you can show, without a doubt, your phone is defective due to no fault of your own, they will replace it free. If you download a 3rd party app and it bricks your phone, you gotta pay insurance 100 bucks, as the premium just recently went up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 09:53 PM
    Are you serious? It went up to 100?

If my phone were completely unresponsive, how would they know whether it was because I dl'd a 3rd party app that had messed something up, or if I had just woken up one day to find it wasn't working?
    04-17-09 09:55 PM
    Deductible not premium. Sorry.

04-17-09 09:55 PM
    Because the phone has a log that records all activity and errors which can be retrieved even from a brickberry....

04-17-09 09:58 PM
    Yeah but most people that work at sprint stores will see a bricked phone and you say you never download anything and they will just order you a replacement

You could also try to wipe the phone before you bring it in

04-17-09 11:14 PM
    I don't want to offend anyone, but as long as your phone is not lost, stolen or has physical damage sprint WILL replace it with out paying a fee if you have the $7 total protection plan. I know this from experience b/c I replaced my bb many times. Also read the terms of the protection plan

04-17-09 11:30 PM
    I don't believe it covers water damage either.

04-17-09 11:36 PM
    Your right I forgot to include that as well

04-17-09 11:37 PM
    Water damage is covered by Asurion, just pay deductible, which increases Sunday.

04-17-09 11:59 PM
    So, I have an 8830 with Sprint. I have the insurance policy, and if I understand correctly, for some things (general malfunctions), I can get my phone replaced for free, but for others (water damage, etc) it costs $50 to replace my phone.

Lately I've been dl'ing a lot of different themes and 3rd part apps. If one of them were to mess up or completely "brick" my phone, would Sprint replace it, and would I have to pay the fee?

I only dl apps or themes from forums where I'm able to read reviews from other users first, so I don't think I'm gonna have any trouble. Is there anything else I should avoid? What types of dl's are most likely to cause problems?

Any info would be appreciated.
    There are themes that can mess up your phone; it's fixable & you wont need to get a replacement for that. As far as dl'g apps, just use the stuff you know you going to need- anything else is just clutter.

I don't believe there is a list of apps that will cause problems but you can always do a search about any app before putting it on your phone.
    04-18-09 02:23 AM
    Water damage is covered by Asurion, just pay deductible, which increases Sunday.

BK, can you imagine how many people are going to try to get new phone for $50 before Sunday..... I can see it now....

Personally, I think the increase is a long time coming; the should have been gone up- if n more than to cut down on scam artist who have a million reasons t get a phone replaced.
    04-18-09 02:26 AM
    I was told by a tech at the store I usually deal with that the deductible is only if there is physical damage

04-18-09 07:49 AM
    I was told by a tech at the store I usually deal with that the deductible is only if there is physical damage

A lost/stolen phone is not physical damage. I can think of other reasons for replacement that require the deductible that don't have anything to do with physical damage.
    04-18-09 08:30 AM
    A deductible is required for Lost/Stolen, Physically Damaged, Water damaged devices.

If it is something fixable like a cracked screen then you can usually get it repaired at a service center, but it is a $99/$119 deductible depending on if it is a regular or smart phone. So it makes more sense to go through Asurion with the $50/$100 deductible now.
    04-18-09 05:13 PM
    On my blackberry all the buttons froze except the trackball on Easter. I brought it to spint and should be picking up replacement today and they said there was no charge.
    04-20-09 08:54 AM
    On my blackberry all the buttons froze except the trackball on Easter. I brought it to spint and should be picking up replacement today and they said there was no charge.
    Did you want there to be a charge?
    04-20-09 11:00 AM
    i found this on my wmexperts page the other day and i think it would add a little more to this conversation

Here's an interesting tidbit for all you Sprint users out there. As some of you may know, if you have insurance through Asurion your deductible went up to $100 (previously $50) this month for all Windows Mobile and PDA devices. The good news is Sprint has greatly simplified and expanded its insurance policy for its customers.

Starting this past Sunday (April 12th), you can now walk into any Sprint store and if your device is within the 1-year manufacture warranty, you can have it serviced usually for free. Here at the requirements:

Within first year = No Charge for:

Phone Book Swaps
    Software Updates
    Mechanical failure
    Electrical failure
    No DAMAGE evident

If outside the first year or damage is below, Charge = $99/$119

Missing components
    Failure w/cosmetic damage
    Normal wear and tear
    Broken hinge/lenses/port
    Cracked housing/LCD
    In the past, you had to play back-and-forth between the manufacture and Sprint, each passing you off for the warranty coverage. Now, you just walk into a Sprint center and deal with them directly. We find this a much welcomed change on paper at least, we'll see how it is executed in reality. Join us after the break to see the full "official" Sprint .pdf screen shots of this policy change.
    04-20-09 11:25 AM
    So in essence, Sprint has made it easy to get replacements w/O it killing your pocket. and even with that said and what Chris posted, some people will still find reason to complain about Sprint.
    04-20-09 11:30 AM
    So in essence, Sprint has made it easy to get replacements w/O it killing your pocket. and even with that said and what Chris posted, some people will still find reason to complain about Sprint.

yeah because they had a bas cs experience 7 years ago
    04-20-09 11:32 AM
    yeah because they had a bas cs experience 7 years ago
    roflmao @ 7 yrs ago!! Too funny!!
    04-20-09 11:34 AM
    roflmao @ 7 yrs ago!! Too funny!!
    well thats what everybody bases their sprint exp with.
    back in the day when i was in 8th grade (1999) they gave me a contract!!!

they would give anybody a contract because they had the first ever color phones so everybody wanted to be a part of the new color phone movement, lol
    the only downside is if your bill was 1 day late they would shut you off cold!!!

that pissed people off and then they went to cingular or bell atlantic mobile (vzw) and that was their last straw with sprint.

thats all i hear when i am on the vzw and att boards saying that they had a bad exp with sprint once and they would never go back.
    i look at all of their previous devices and there all old school vzw devices like the lg tm510 and stuff so you know they havent had sprint since the nokia brick phone was popular

just my 0.02 lol
    04-20-09 11:50 AM
    Chris, I knew exactly what you meant. It really is funny how people complain about things that happened so many years ago; as if it just occurred today.
    04-20-09 01:27 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD