Sprint on Wednesday morning reported results for the third quarter, marking the first time the company posted earnings results since being acquired by Japanese carrier SoftBank. The carrier managed to post combined quarterly net income of $383 million but its operating loss for the third quarter widened to $398 million as subscribers continued to drop its services and head to rival carriers. Sprintís operating loss in the year-ago quarter was $231 million. Sprint reported a loss 360,000 Sprint contract customers and net subscriber losses totaled 313,000 in the quarter thanks to additions elsewhere in the carrierís portfolio. Itís not all doom and gloom, however, as Sprint managed to rack up a record $7.3 billion in wireless service revenue, Sprint platform revenue climbed to $5.8 billion, and smartphones now account for a whopping 92% of its postpaid handset sales. The carrier also said it sold about 1.4 million iPhones in the third quarter, 40% of which were to new customers. Sprintís full earnings release is linked below.

http://http://bgr.com/2013/10/30/spr...nings-q3-2013/
    10-30-13 09:47 AM
    eeeeekkkkk.....that's not good.....
    10-30-13 10:04 AM
    Green what a surprise! I left for they so late I. Getting the new blackberry and ni telling when they'll get the z30.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 12:52 PM
    How did they lose money having a profit of $383 million? They were profitable this quarter.
    10-30-13 01:01 PM
    How did they lose money having a profit of $383 million? They were profitable this quarter.
    The carrier managed to post combined quarterly net income of $383 million but its operating loss for the third quarter widened to $398 million as subscribers continued to drop its services and head to rival carriers.

This is how they lost money. yes they had a net income of 383 mil. but the subscriber base shrunk by almost 400,000 customers. hence the operating loss.

you can have all the income in the world coming in, but if you lose customers, after you pay your employees, and pay for things like health insurance, and storefront rent, you wind up putting out more than you brought in.
    10-30-13 01:45 PM
    The carrier managed to post combined quarterly net income of $383 million but its operating loss for the third quarter widened to $398 million as subscribers continued to drop its services and head to rival carriers.

This is how they lost money. yes they had a net income of 383 mil. but the subscriber base shrunk by almost 400,000 customers. hence the operating loss.

you can have all the income in the world coming in, but if you lose customers, after you pay your employees, and pay for things like health insurance, and storefront rent, you wind up putting out more than you brought in.
    My point being they are in the black instead of in the red on the books. You can have a operating lost and still show a profit. Network vision equipment for 1.
    10-30-13 01:58 PM
    My point being they are in the black instead of in the red on the books. You can have a operating lost and still show a profit. Network vision equipment for 1.
    I get what your saying, but BBRY posted a profit 2 Qtrs ago, then posted a HUGE loss. you can't keep losing customers and service revenue every single qtr. and expect to stay in the black for long. yes sprint had 398 mil in income, but the interest they paid for the qtr., wiped all of that out.
    10-30-13 03:49 PM
    Sprint had been posting losses for the last 3 years, now they are finally showing a profit. Operation margin lost isn't is bad as it sounds considering that part of the lost was the shutdown of the iden network and reconfiguration of it.
    10-30-13 03:53 PM
    but it is still a loss. they brought in 368 mil, but they paid out close to 700 mil in all assorted charges. plus even though they "grew" their subscriber base due to nextel customers coming in, they still lost a boat load of customers in the past 3 months(some of which can be attributed to their not carrying the Z10). also they sold 1.4 mil Iphones, which means they took a loss for close to 3 million IPhones. any way you slice it, it is dismal, and shows no signs of getting better.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    10-30-13 07:37 PM
    This sucks.. I've been really happy with Sprint, and they have the best pricing options for myself. Hopefully they get back up there

Posted via Blackjack Q10
    11-16-13 10:39 PM
    I was one of the lost Sprint customers. I moved to T-Mobile to get the Z10. My husband is still on Sprint waiting out his contact. I may come back if Sprint gets the Z30, or I might check out Verizon since they are pretty reliable about getting the phones I want.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:58 AM
    At least they gave marketing a shot,

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:33 AM
    At least they gave marketing a shot,

Posted via CB10
    yeah but they are marketing 2 phones and ignoring everthing else. not everyone wants an iphone or galaxy.
    dphjeff likes this.
    11-25-13 01:56 PM
    Sprint sure doesn't do a lot to push BlackBerry. My lovely Q10 here didn't exactly get good opinion from the people selling it to me. That aside I'm still kind of sad they aren't doing well because their service (at least where I live) is fantastic not to mention the unlimited data thing.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 11:12 AM