This is a question for Hero owners. Does the fact that the Sprint Hero doesn't have a proximity sensor affect it's battery life greatly? I don't see how/why it wouldn't.

I don't know why Sprint's version of the Hero didn't include the sensor whereas Vzw's version (Eris) has one..it only makes sense to include one I would think.

In any case; so does the lack of a proximity sensor put a strain on the battery life during calls?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 11:44 AM
    No. The screen doesn't stay on throughout the entire call, it only stays on for as long as your normal setting allow (e.g. if you have your screen set to timeout after 60 seconds, then it will shut off after 60 seconds when you're on the phone). If you want to get the screen back up to get to the dialer or something, you just hit a button. Once the call is over, the screen will light back up to show you the call has ended.
    11-16-09 12:17 PM
    Ah I see; thanks for the reply. I assume you own the Hero...HONESTLY; how do you like the phone so far? And what are the PROS/CONS of the phone in YOUR opinion?

11-16-09 12:31 PM
    I was lookinhg at the hero as well but don't know about the camera not having a flash and battery life wasn't great from what I have heard

11-16-09 01:50 PM
    Ah I see; thanks for the reply. I assume you own the Hero...HONESTLY; how do you like the phone so far? And what are the PROS/CONS of the phone in YOUR opinion?

Well, this would be a long post. The Hero is a great phone, and I would say that it beats the BB at everything besides messaging (due to lack of a physical keyboard) and battery life. For everything else (screen, web, video, audio, apps, ease of use, customization, etc...) the Hero really is better.

HOWEVER, that being said, I really miss my BB. The only thing keeping me from going back is the screen size. There is a HUGE difference between 3.20 and 2.44". If Sprint would just get off is lazy *** and get the Storm 2, I'd go back to Blackberry. Until then, the Hero is a nice device.

Oh, and the pictures actually look really good. I had heard the 5.0mp camera wasn't that good, but I beg to differ. I think the pictures looks great.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to give you an honest answer.
    11-16-09 03:35 PM
    I hate the trackball... The trackball is almost pointless tbh. A simple button + LED would have been better like the Pre. The device looks very nice, screen is large.

If I could live with touchscreen only I'd consider it, but I hate typing on touchscreen only phones...
    11-16-09 03:46 PM
    I actually love the trackball. It's nice for cursor placement and it works great for selecting links on webpages. The onscreen typing experience offered on the Hero does leave much to be desired, and typing is the phone's weak point.
    11-16-09 03:52 PM
    I could not imagine trying to type up a lengthly professional email on a touch screen phone... I think that I would freak out

But damn everything else about that phone looks great!!
    11-16-09 07:26 PM
    Honestly once you calibrate the screen typing on the touch screen is a breeze. I have not problems typing long or short e-mails, tweeting, facebooking or texting. In the end it comes down to your personal preference.
    11-16-09 09:52 PM
    I must say i disagree... the keyboard has options for customization and in comparison with something like the iphone the full qwerty board is not bad. you can change to a compact qwerty (like the pearl) or a phone keypad which gives you bigger buttons and t9 input which is nice until you want to add a word the phone does not recognize, then it can be a hassle. But overall give it time and you will aclimate to the touchscreen keyboard.
    11-28-09 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD