Haha, Sparks, did you read that article you used to call me misinformed? It's competely inconclusive and says nothing about whether or not it's legal. It just mentions a couple of people's opinions on the matter and says judges are divided on the issue.
    Oh, and that cell towers can trace your location. So can witnesses, are they illegal too? Next time you want to kill someone just remember to leave your phone at home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 09:56 PM
    Yes I do have an agenda, and it's two-fold: 1) my first amendment right to peaceably gather and communicate, absent making threats and; 2) my fourth amendment right protecting me from unlawful search and seizure.

Beyond that I am agenda-free. I want the FBI to actively pursue legitimate FISA warrants to track down potential terrorists (eg: Denver->NYC bust); I understand that under CALEA the carriers are obligated to provide information. We too have subpoenaed in many instances carrier records for specific cell numbers seeking specific information like call history, text history, things of that nature. And you're correct, again, that the carriers have legal departments for non-law-enforcement folk to channel their subpoenas through. What's troubling to me is exactly what I already said: it's not my ex-gf's lawyer dropping a subpoena on VZW for evidence that I drunk texted her 392 times in a 6 hour span), it's the government *NOT* dropping *ANY* subpoena, warrant, or other legal instrument requiring production of documents on the carriers. What's more troubling is that Sprint has become so cozy with the Feds as to establish a secure portal for the Feds to track their taps real-time. Again, if the target is a bad guy (as substantiated by a warrant sworn too and signed by a law enforcement officer including probable cause as to why the tap would/might garner evidence proving the alleged bad guy is complicit in some illegal activity that is GREAT! I'm 100% behind it. But between DCSNet, the secure portal, and the release of 8 million pings, Sprint just seems to be pretty comfortable releasing/making their network more than readily accessible to law enforcement. While all carriers are required to provide ready technical access and support to their switches and core when lawfully directed to do so, Sprint, IMO, crosses the line time and again.

Thanks for your compliment on my posts.
    Did you honestly even read anything other than Sprint gives 8 million users GPS locations or whatever? This is a quote from a Sprint official, which nullifies all of what you are concerned about.

The spokesman also said that law enforcement agents have to obtain a court order for the data, except in special emergency circumstances.
    The portals are set up for use AFTER a court order is in place. Like I said, they aren't just tracking at random, and its not 8 million separate instances of people, the same person can be pinged tens of thousands of times during one investigation, again, AFTER a court order is in place. You are making things up when you say that rights are being infringed upon, and Sprint is giving this information out without a warrant or court order. Just stop making things up, and stick to the facts, and you won't have to be so outraged for nothing.
    12-03-09 10:10 PM
    take out your battery
    12-04-09 06:39 AM
    WAA WAAA is all i hear right now oh well other countries have it bad should be happy how things are here compared to others..
    So I'm no longer entitled to my privacy? Sure other countries have it worse. So I should accept being mistreated because other countries have it worse?

I thought this was the best country on earth.
    12-04-09 07:35 PM
    So I'm no longer entitled to my privacy? Sure other countries have it worse. So I should accept being mistreated because other countries have it worse?

Don't let the door hit ya...
    12-04-09 07:42 PM

You are entitled to your privacy, until you decide you want to become a felon, then you are not entitled to your privacy. Sprint does exactly the same thing any other carrier does. They require court orders/subpoenas in order to get information on a subscriber, they will waive it in the most dire of emergencies if a life is about to be lost.

They aren't pinging your GPS while you drive to the video store, or go to the mall. Honestly, they don't care about you if you aren't a felon under investigation. People have a distorted sense of self importance. Nobody cares about you, except the people who know you. If you're stupid enough to commit heinous crimes and use a cellphone, then the Law Enforcement agencies will care about you too.

Carry on with the paranoia. I'm selling tin foil hats for 9.99, just PM me.
    12-05-09 12:59 AM
    when i lived in the projects i remember all the people with nextel chirp phones were all getting busted selling drugs
    12-05-09 01:07 AM
    when i lived in the projects i remember all the people with nextel chirp phones were all getting busted selling drugs
    That's because they were all in the same place. Its like shooting fish in a barrel at that point.

12-05-09 03:05 AM
    Nobody cares about you, except the people who know you.
    Plus your twitter followers.
    12-05-09 03:15 AM
    You are entitled to your privacy, until you decide you want to become a felon, then you are not entitled to your privacy. Sprint does exactly the same thing any other carrier does. They require court orders/subpoenas in order to get information on a subscriber, they will waive it in the most dire of emergencies if a life is about to be lost.

They aren't pinging your GPS while you drive to the video store, or go to the mall. Honestly, they don't care about you if you aren't a felon under investigation. People have a distorted sense of self importance. Nobody cares about you, except the people who know you. If you're stupid enough to commit heinous crimes and use a cellphone, then the Law Enforcement agencies will care about you too.

i want a tin hat
    12-05-09 09:26 AM

That's all fine and dandy, except for you're giving the government too much credit for being right all the time. They are not. They have been known to arrest the wrong person for a crime, send them to jail, and then release them 20 years later after DNA evidence clears the innocent person that was jailed.

Bottom line... They may not care about YOU, but they may think YOU are someone else, and the thought of them having access to where you are at any given moment is a little unsettling.
    12-05-09 11:01 AM
    i want a tin hat
    Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie
    12-05-09 11:32 AM
    thanks im bookmarkign this page
    12-05-09 12:48 PM
    That's all fine and dandy, except for you're giving the government too much credit for being right all the time. They are not. They have been known to arrest the wrong person for a crime, send them to jail, and then release them 20 years later after DNA evidence clears the innocent person that was jailed.

Bottom line... They may not care about YOU, but they may think YOU are someone else, and the thought of them having access to where you are at any given moment is a little unsettling.
    People who don't know they're sought are easy to find because they aren't hiding. Every day people have routines they seldom break. The government doesn't need GPS for you and me.

The government only needs to use GPS to help find you if you're trying to hide...in which case you'd be dumb to even own a mobile phone, with GPS or without. You'd also best get rid of your check book & credit cards and procure a fake ID and passport.

Last edited by dchawk81; 12-05-09 at 01:06 PM.
    12-05-09 01:04 PM
    as long as the gov doesnt give a **** about me going to adult book stores and trackign me there i dont care lol...
    12-05-09 01:23 PM
    unless if i was planning to murder someone then i would worry but im not a criminal so eh w.e... you guys act like this will never happen
    12-05-09 01:23 PM
    as long as the gov doesnt give a **** about me going to adult book stores and trackign me there i dont care lol...
    Just plant your phone at the public library to throw them off your tracks.

12-05-09 01:26 PM
    Just plant your phone at the public library to throw them off your tracks.

oooorrrr you can plant your phone on someones else car criminal minds from sprint users?!!
    12-05-09 01:31 PM
    I'd want to get my phone back so I could call my getaway car.

12-05-09 01:34 PM
    I'd want to get my phone back so I could call my getaway car.

dude walkie talkies DUHH!!
    12-05-09 01:36 PM

Nicely put!!...LOL
    12-07-09 04:49 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD