What is up with Sprint and their lack of phones, they never seem to catch a break or do not know how to do business. The Nexus One is coming out with a CDMA Version and of course Verizon is getting their hands on it. WTH Sprint!!!! Get with the program!!!
    01-05-10 05:55 PM
    If you were going to release a phone and wanted to make the most money, which CDMA carrier would you pick?
    01-05-10 06:46 PM
    If you were going to release a phone and wanted to make the most money, which CDMA carrier would you pick?
    I wouldn't. I'd make it available to both. Verizon has more subscribers, but Sprint has more data/coverage. Combined together, that's a whole lot of money to be made...
    01-05-10 06:51 PM
    I wouldn't. I'd make it available to both. Verizon has more subscribers, but Sprint has more data/coverage. Combined together, that's a whole lot of money to be made...
    Ultimately they do, but not always simultaneously... Usually they are not simultaneous releases in fact. Which is more of a priority?

Not only that, but VZ could throw them a bone for a short term exclusivity, which Sprint can't afford to pay more for.
    01-05-10 06:54 PM
    Ultimately they do, but not always simultaneously... Usually they are not simultaneous releases in fact. Which is more of a priority?
    yeah, I'm sure Verizon offered a nice bribe/kickback incentive to lock-in exclusivity for a while too. Sprint really needs to step up their lobbying efforts with vendors.
    01-05-10 06:56 PM
    HAHA, that made my night. From what I hear from a LOT of critics/reviews, it's best to wait for the Nexus Two. There's nothing ground-breaking or game-changing about the phone but we'll see if it'll take a piece of the market like the iPhone did.
    01-05-10 07:36 PM
    yeah, I'm sure Verizon offered a nice bribe/kickback incentive to lock-in exclusivity for a while too. Sprint really needs to step up their lobbying efforts with vendors.
    Yea Sprint has to do something, their plans kick *** but they phones are just not cutting it! I have been with Sprint for 10 years and if a new phone does not come out this year I am packing up shop! I have been due for an upgrade for over 7 months :-(
    01-05-10 07:38 PM
    HAHA, that made my night. From what I hear from a LOT of critics/reviews, it's best to wait for the Nexus Two. There's nothing ground-breaking or game-changing about the phone but we'll see if it'll take a piece of the market like the iPhone did.
    Even if it was, bad marketing could kill it. Looking at the phone briefly, it seems like the N900 is a fairly good competitor for it and it's been out for a while. But since the N900 is run by Nokia, of course you can guess how many N900s you see running around...

Some people might jump on the flash 10.1 bandwagon, but considering a good 50%+ of your bandwidth and processing is probably going to be unwanted ads, I'll pass on flash unless it's a dedicated .flv/.swf player or you have some way to filter out the crap reliably...
    01-05-10 07:41 PM
    If Sprint does pick up the N1, I think I might have another go at ditching my BB. Verizon doesn't have an exclusivity contract on the N1. That's one of the main points of the phone, there's no exclusivity to any one carrier. It's unlocked. You can use on any carrier that will sell you service. Google is trying to end the whole exclusivity game by just selling their phone direct to the public. You buy the phone from Google, and then you get it activated to the carrier of your choice. The question is whether or not Sprint will allow it onto their network.
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; 01-05-10 at 07:51 PM.
    01-05-10 07:48 PM
    Yea Sprint has to do something, their plans kick *** but they phones are just not cutting it! I have been with Sprint for 10 years and if a new phone does not come out this year I am packing up shop! I have been due for an upgrade for over 7 months :-(
    Where have you been Sprint has come out with new phones, off the top of my head we have the Tour, Hero, Moment, Pixie, Curve 8530 and the Tour 2 coming soon. Oh and let's not forget the big CES announcement Sprint is making with LG about their 4G phone.
    01-05-10 07:51 PM
    If Sprint does pick up the N1, I think I might have another go at ditching my BB. Verizon doesn't have an exclusivity contract on the N1. That's one of the main points of the phone, there's no exclusivity to any one carrier. It's unlocked. You can use on any carrier that will sell you service. The question is whether or not Sprint will allow it onto their network.
    Smoke and mirrors... It's unlocked but it doesn't support Rogers or AT&T 3g frequencies, only european and Tmobile...

You can use it on any carrier, yet Tmobile subsidizes it and it was specifically stated they are working on VZ compatibility (but not Sprint, even though it's the same for both)....
    01-05-10 07:51 PM
    Sprint also needs to stop their upgrade fees I had to fight to get the fee waived when upgrading customers. I think that is a real ripoff. No carrier has an upgrade fee ONLY SPRINT
    01-05-10 07:59 PM
    Smoke and mirrors... It's unlocked but it doesn't support Rogers or AT&T 3g frequencies, only european and Tmobile...

You can use it on any carrier, yet Tmobile subsidizes it and it was specifically stated they are working on VZ compatibility (but not Sprint, even though it's the same for both)....
    You think Sprint not being in the mix might have something to do with the upcoming LG announcement? One rumor says Android the other says WinMo.

Also Andy Rubin of Android stated that manufactures are going to have to meet the bar in order to be allowed into the program. Do you think they're taking control of Android so that the experience is the same across the board?
    01-05-10 08:01 PM
    You think Sprint not being in the mix might have something to do with the upcoming LG announcement? One rumor says Android the other says WinMo.

Also Andy Rubin of Android stated that manufactures are going to have to meet the bar in order to be allowed into the program. Do you think they're taking control of Android so that the experience is the same across the board?
    I have no idea why tbh, but it's odd that they talk about VZ and vodafone, but no mention of Sprint... (unless it's just VZ throwing some money at it, then it's not that odd).
    01-05-10 08:02 PM
    Sprint also needs to stop their upgrade fees I had to fight to get the fee waived when upgrading customers. I think that is a real ripoff. No carrier has an upgrade fee ONLY SPRINT
    Upgrade fee? Or are you talking about activation fee? Sprint has always had an activation fee, even for existing customers. Most of the time they waive it when upgrading. I have never paid an activation fee until I used my upgrade at Best Buy to get the Hero. Once is posted to my account I called Sprint and they happily took it off.
    01-05-10 08:03 PM
    I have no idea why tbh, but it's odd that they talk about VZ and vodafone, but no mention of Sprint... (unless it's just VZ throwing some money at it, then it's not that odd).
    I have two thoughts, either Sprint wasn't approached or they were and declined because along with the manufacturer "bar" that Andy spoke about comes a carrier bar that has to met also.

That bar probably means Google pushes out the updates so we don't have the fractured OS we're seeing now.

Then again there's the chance that this LG phone that's soon to be announced is Sprint and LG's entrance into the Nexus One club.
    Last edited by ERDude; 01-05-10 at 08:13 PM.
    01-05-10 08:06 PM

It's not really smoke and mirrors. The point is that the phone isn't locked (or exclusive) to any network. Yes, the radio won't work on every network or with every 3G band, but Google isn't limiting the phone to any one network. Once HTC produces the CDMA model, there will be nothing stopping Sprint from allowing it onto their network.

I remain hopeful that they will. I to this day, T-Mobile and Sprint (YES Sprint) are the only major US carriers to have signed on to the Open Handset Alliance. Sprint should get this phone. How long it will take is anyone's guess. The point is that it won't be some Verizon exclusive. That not how this particular phone works. Furthermore, what would Verizon be buying the exclusivity on? Keeping the CDMA version of the N1 on their network? How is that exclusive when the phone is already an unlocked GSM phone?
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; 01-05-10 at 09:00 PM.
    01-05-10 08:57 PM
    Where have you been Sprint has come out with new phones, off the top of my head we have the Tour, Hero, Moment, Pixie, Curve 8530 and the Tour 2 coming soon. Oh and let's not forget the big CES announcement Sprint is making with LG about their 4G phone.
    Honestly have you played with those phones? Plam's WebOs is amazing but thier hardware is not up to par and the Pixi is really slow. The Hero with Sense UI is amazing and the build is outstanding but with a really weak processor the phone is slow and lags with apps on the phone and with the Tour and their trackball issues (RIM Fault) was a bad build. Compare these phones to th Droid, iPhone and Storm II and tell me what phones are better.

Its a good start but they are always late to the party!
    01-05-10 09:00 PM
    *yawn* I want to see the likes of a CDMA/GSM iPhone... a Storm2... a Nexus One.. etc. on Sprint.

The Hero looked cool though, I played with one for the first time last weekend at the Sprint store. Definitely worthy of consideration when my upgrade comes.
    01-05-10 09:13 PM
    Pay Attention! Sprint is not interested in 3g only phones. Bring on the 4g phones!
    01-05-10 10:06 PM
    I remain hopeful that they will. I to this day, T-Mobile and Sprint (YES Sprint) are the only major US carriers to have signed on to the Open Handset Alliance. Sprint should get this phone. How long it will take is anyone's guess. The point is that it won't be some Verizon exclusive. That not how this particular phone works. Furthermore, what would Verizon be buying the exclusivity on? Keeping the CDMA version of the N1 on their network? How is that exclusive when the phone is already an unlocked GSM phone?
    It's not the "our carrier only" exclusive you're used to, but it's just as effective. Particularly considering how many people buy unsubsidized smartphones in the US, which is marginal. Even if it was locked to Verizon, you could get the unlock code for free, or buy one for barely anything and use it on Edge GSM... You could do that from day 1 on the Storm, yippie...

Companies pay for small duration "head starts" all the time, or maybe the developer themselves find VZ to be a higher priority so VZ's version is done first. VZ maybe didn't even pay them..

Either way, Sprint wasn't included, and I highly doubt it was just a mistake.
    01-05-10 10:17 PM
    Someone mentioned the N1 will not be anything huge. Go to Android Central and watch flash player run on it while surfing the web. It is in Beta but a lot more then you see on whats in store for our BBs'.

Yea, I know its being worked on for RIM but a I don't see no video of a BB running Flash.

Another BB fan here being pushed out to Android. Shame, I really liked RIM Products. It will still be another month or so, I hope RIM makes some big announcement of something in store for us.
    01-05-10 10:20 PM
    Honestly have you played with those phones? Plam's WebOs is amazing but thier hardware is not up to par and the Pixi is really slow. The Hero with Sense UI is amazing and the build is outstanding but with a really weak processor the phone is slow and lags with apps on the phone and with the Tour and their trackball issues (RIM Fault) was a bad build. Compare these phones to th Droid, iPhone and Storm II and tell me what phones are better.

Its a good start but they are always late to the party!
    Actually I have owned two of them the Tour and the Hero. I have to say the Hero blows the Tour out of the water.

As far as the Hero being slow, you obviously don't know of what you speak and are just repeating what you've heard. Or you're going off a store display that's not cared for or kept clean. Either way you're wrong about the Hero's speed.

What you really mean is that Sprint hasn't come out with a phone to your liking. Now that's a more accurate statement.
    01-05-10 11:21 PM
    *yawn* I want to see the likes of a CDMA/GSM iPhone... a Storm2... a Nexus One.. etc. on Sprint.

The Hero looked cool though, I played with one for the first time last weekend at the Sprint store. Definitely worthy of consideration when my upgrade comes.
    Re the Nexus one: Depending on how the rumors pan out you will when the LG (providing it's Android not WinMo), is unveiled during CES.

We'll never see the Storm that's Verizon's baby, they poured a ton money into it's development.

The iPhone I'd say it's a stronger possibility, it all depends on what they mean by 4G, is it a fourth generation iPhone or a 4G as in capable of running on a 4G network. If it's wireless 4G odds are greater that we'll see it on Sprint seeing how they have rolled out 4G in 27 markets and growing, that and I don't think Apple is too happy with Verizon right now.
    01-05-10 11:26 PM
    Someone mentioned the N1 will not be anything huge. Go to Android Central and watch flash player run on it while surfing the web. It is in Beta but a lot more then you see on whats in store for our BBs'.

Yea, I know its being worked on for RIM but a I don't see no video of a BB running Flash.

Another BB fan here being pushed out to Android. Shame, I really liked RIM Products. It will still be another month or so, I hope RIM makes some big announcement of something in store for us.
    Actually full flash is in development for a lot of major platforms now, and has been for a while.

There are other phones that have it available before this one. Regardless, I would take a very good browser with no flash over a very good browser with flash, because flash is a massive resource hog and primarily dedicated to popups and ads.
    01-05-10 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD