Found my old Sprint Blackberry and wanted to know if I can activate this on a Pay as You Go type network

From the Device Info Screen:
    Blackberry 9650 smartphone
    11-20-13 10:15 AM
    I would think it will only work with a Sprint prepaid account but not 100% sure on that. The CDMA devices are not as versatile as the GSM versions
    11-21-13 11:47 AM
    As a matter of fact you can, because I used to do this with my Verizon 9650 a good while ago. The Sprint 9650 is also a world phone yeah? Well, if you make sure the device is fully unlocked, the only prepaid service I'm aware of that offers bring your own BlackBerry data plans is Simple Mobile, who is powered by T-Mobile. You will be stuck on 2G Edge at all times, so you'll have to live without 3G, and Simple Mobile absolutely will not roam on companion GSM networks (so you if you go somewhere that does not have T-Mobile towers specifically, you will be completely and totally without service, Simple Mobile does not roam on AT&T towers.)

As far as I know, that is the only way to put a 9650 on prepaid period. I know that back when I had that Verizon didn't offer any kind of prepaid BlackBerry data plan which is required for the legacy devices, but I suppose you could simply ask Sprint if they can or not. If not, Simple Mobile is the only alternative you have, and if you do go that route, you will survive it fine. I think the 9650 still ranks as my most beloved piece of tech I've ever owned over the years and hey, when possible you can always access WiFi. I did my banking and stuff on that 2G with no real problems, it just requires a little patience sometimes for loading, and the good ol' NOC kept pushing my emails along just fine.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 11:20 AM