I called blackberry support at TMO today about an issue I was having and unrelated he said he wanted to tell me that the 9700 is not handling UMA to cell handoffs right. If you're on a cell signal and then UMA is available the call might be dropped or visa versa. Just to give everyone a heads up. I havent really tried using UMA yet so I dont know. Has anyone had problems with Handoffs from EDGE/3G to UMA?
    11-19-09 11:21 AM
    I've have that problem with my 9700 and also had it with my 8900. Ive noticed however, that the problem subsided over time with my 8900. Just today I transitioned from edge to uma from my 9700 without any problems. It will get better Im sure.
    11-19-09 11:39 AM
    This is nothing new. It happens sometimes on my 8320. And I expect it on the 9700 when it arrives tomorrow. It all depends on the strength of the cell signal when the hadoff occurs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 12:07 PM
    I called blackberry support at TMO today about an issue I was having and unrelated he said he wanted to tell me that the 9700 is not handling UMA to cell handoffs right. If you're on a cell signal and then UMA is available the call might be dropped or visa versa. Just to give everyone a heads up. I havent really tried using UMA yet so I dont know. Has anyone had problems with Handoffs from EDGE/3G to UMA?
    Old problem usually easily solved.

Go into your WiFi Options and make sure that the box is checked for "allow inter-access point handover" on all your UMA profiles.

See if that doesn't fix your problem.
    11-19-09 12:12 PM
    This is nothing new. It happens sometimes on my 8320. And I expect it on the 9700 when it arrives tomorrow. It all depends on the strength of the cell signal when the hadoff occurs.

Same here. The 8320 held UMA about 50% of the time. The rest was dropped calls during or after the switch.

11-19-09 12:14 PM
    Old problem usually easily solved.

Go into your WiFi Options and make sure that the box is checked for "allow inter-access point handover" on all your UMA profiles.

See if that doesn't fix your problem.

I don't see that option in my WIFI Options page. Where is it located?
    11-19-09 01:11 PM
    I don't have a 9700 yet. May get one when the price drops.

On the 8900s, this checkoff was the reason for the traditional problems of UMA handoffs. Might want to look around in your WiFi options and see if this is anywhere to be found.
    11-19-09 01:31 PM
    Click on the network then menu-edit network. You should then seen this to check box. I have always had this checked but does not help. As someone else posted if cell signal is bad always will drop going from UMA to Cell. Signal outside my house is 2/5 bars on a good day and doesn't improve till I am 2 block away. But T-Mobile says my service is "acceptable". Sorry for the rant....
    11-19-09 01:31 PM
    11-19-09 04:42 PM
    Same here. UMA handoffs to cellular aren't that reliable anyway. Cellular to UMA usually works fine. Had that issue on my 8900, 8320, and 8220.

11-19-09 05:17 PM
    yep, it followed me from my 8900, quite annoying
    11-25-09 11:02 PM
    i spoke to a rep about the drop calls i have over 3g on my 9700 he advised me that there is a known issue with this and he said that i should turn my wifi off while using 3g so far my 3g has been fine no reboots and no drop calls. tomorrow will be the real test cause i will be out all day
    11-25-09 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD