With a free LG Crapphone550 (hypothetical series) from AT&T I can send pictures-MMS messages, but since I've paid the premium for a Blackberry Curve 8310, I have to have an additional data plan in order to do the same thing?

In case it matters, I have unlimited SMS on my account, but no data plan...However, that never stopped me from sending pictures from any cheapo phone before!

Thanks for any of your help in advance.
    11-28-08 10:18 AM
    My understanding is that the data plan covers the blackberry network. Add that to the phenomenal increase in data you will be using. Once you start, you can't stop.

Later,
    B.
    11-28-08 03:20 PM
    In case it matters, I have unlimited SMS on my account, but no data plan...However, that never stopped me from sending pictures from any cheapo phone before!
    MMS (sending photos) is data regardless what at&t plan you have.

You can send pictures without a data plan, at&t charges per. Kb of data sent or received.

If you never paid anydata charges in the past, you got real lucky.

I'll venture if you look at a prior bill, one in which during the billing cycle you actually sent a picture, you will find a per Kb charge for the data.

You should be able to send photos w/o a data plan but IRC it's like $.01 per kb.
    11-28-08 04:11 PM
    Hello and welcome!

The data package do very, yes, by phone. More so PDA vs. Smartphones.

Having the $30.00 Blackberry Personal package will enable you to have internet access, and email push. Now the Blackberries are almost mandatory to have the data package on there, but it's not required.

So technically, not the same.

Now, if you want MMS to work, you'll need to have the data package as pay per use (so I'm told) doesn't work and we don't have any packages aside from unlimited data. (The $30.00 data package.)

Also, you want to avoid pay per use charges, you'll need a Messaging Package ($5.00 200, $15.00 1,500, and $20.00 Unlimited).

Hope that helped a little bit.
    11-28-08 04:22 PM
    Inifekt,
    Why does your avatar read Sprint/Nextel ?
    11-28-08 04:48 PM
    Because I pay $45.00~ a month for unlimited data, minutes, text, radio, tv, and GPS from them

That and AT&T is tooooooo expensive for my taste and I have no 3G GSM here .
    11-28-08 04:51 PM
    10-4 I see you're in Omaha...sorry
    11-28-08 05:08 PM
    We have unlimited SMS/MMS messging on our phones (wife has a Samsung something or the other). We do not pay any additional charges for data on her phone for sending pictures - and we send LOTS of pictures.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 05:23 PM
    We have unlimited SMS/MMS messging on our phones (wife has a Samsung something or the other). We do not pay any additional charges for data on her phone for sending pictures - and we send LOTS of pictures.

Correct, because you technically have a "messaging" package. It includes: text messaging, instant messaging, and picture messaging. The data charges that would apply to IM and SMS are waived, in these packages.
    11-29-08 01:56 AM
    Call AT&T an ask them to add the pay per use data package. As long as you dont use the internet on your phone you shouldnt be charged. I had this on my 8310 and got MMS without having to drop alot of money on a full data plan.
    11-29-08 09:42 AM
    quikDC is correct. When I first got my BlackBerry I didn't have a data plan, and mms still worked just fine. All you need to make mms work is a text message plan of some sort.

11-29-08 09:49 AM
    Oh...ok. So now I've realized that I cannot send pics from my curve because, for some reason, pay per use isn't enabled on my account although it was for previous phones. I'll have to call. But also, I didn't realize that sending MMS had costed me before...I just looked at a bill and now I understand. Thanks for the help!

Another Q while I'm at it...Is it possible to add the BB data plan outside of your 30 days period? Can I add it whenever?

Thanks again.
    11-30-08 07:55 PM
    Yeah. You can add it at any point, just remember if it's before your billing cycle date you will receive prorated charges.

i.e.; If you're 5 days in your cycle, you'll be charged $35.00 for the month. AT&T bills in advance and we have 30 days in our billing cycle. So $30.00 / 30 days = $1.00/day.

Ask the CSR you get when your cycle is and to estimate your prorations.
    11-30-08 08:01 PM
    do you need a data plan to send pics because i have unlimited messaging and im not sure if people are getting the pics i send
    11-30-08 10:25 PM
    T-Mobile includes MMS with texting plans... no data charges whatsoever. If you get a texting plan, it covers SMS and MMS, regardless of whether you have data.

I currently dont have data, but I do like to send pictures to friends
    02-07-09 03:56 PM
    From what I am told. The MMS is flowed through text messaging. So you do not have to pay per use of picture/video/audio texting. The data package for non pda phones covers internet usage. Blackberry requires, but not mandatory the BB data plan for emails and internet. But even with pda's and BB MMS is not PPU even without a data plan because ATT has media included in txt messaging. I hope I explained that right. It was how it was explained to me.
    02-16-09 08:56 AM
    the only pda thats in at&t's line up that requires a data package to send mms is the pearl. and its always been like that with the pearl. with the curve u can get away with just having ppu with the unlimited messaging package because it covers u when sending text, pics, and videos. u just need the media net ppu attached to ur account to be able to send or receive them. its considered to use data over the air to make that possible but they wont charge u for it like browsing with ppu.
    02-21-09 02:09 PM
    Definitely incorrect. All you need is pay per use data to get mms to work. MMS uses data, but you are not charged data.

In fact... my ex had it until I blocked her data period. She wanted to go online and d/l things
    02-21-09 08:13 PM
    And now I see this is an old topic.
    02-21-09 08:15 PM
    ^^ i see we follow each other around in this part of the forum. lol. and isnt what u said the same as what i said. the op asked why his mms isnt working on his curve. and i believe i stated that all he needed with his unl messaging package is to add ppu (per-per-use) media net to the acct to send and receive pics. they wont charge his for it because its a part of the unl package (text,pics,video) so im not sure where im "definitely wrong" about this
    02-22-09 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD