Article on Engadget Via Yahoo.com
    Sprint's talking about it, but AT&T's straight-up doing something about Verizon's plan adjustments this morning with a series of its own tweaks this afternoon. Starting Monday, January 18 (conveniently the same day that Verizon's changes go live), unlimited talk will run $69.99 on individual plans, a nice little cut of $30 against the $99.99 the carrier charges today; family unlimited, meanwhile, comes in at $119.99. Unlimited talk and text costs another $20 on top of unlimited talk alone -- no change from the current add-on pricing. Similarly, unlimited talk plus smartphone data goes for $99.99, meaning that you're paying $30 for the data package -- exactly the same as you're paying now, so really, this all boils down to a big adjustment in what carriers across the board are charging for voice. The principles of Econ 101 have us believe that voice isn't as popular as it used to be -- we are now sending billions upon billions of texts, after all -- and as we ease off the voice infrastructure, it makes sense that these guys would want to upsell everyone into unlimited plans (remember that we're living in an "all you can eat" kind of nation) while still banking big on precious kilobytes and characters. Well played, AT&T; you too, Verizon. Well played, indeed.
    source Yahoo
    01-15-10 08:13 PM
    Hmmmmm, actually getting competitive in the price portion? Well played indeed.
    01-15-10 08:16 PM
    Maybe they will cut it in a little bit if something else happens, but Sprint still bundles so much more than this in their plans. Sprint just needs to advertise the value that they have in their plans compared to AT&T and Verizon... But to the OP, I think that Verizon and now AT&T are finally starting to feel the pressure of T-Mo and Sprint having much cheaper plans.
    01-15-10 08:26 PM
    They still need to keep the pressure on them just drop it $10 or $20 that's all I am asking, lol
    01-15-10 08:38 PM
    Ya we should get some kind of deal!
    01-15-10 08:46 PM
    The problem is Sprint bundles some crap that a lot of people don't need...

Advertising Sprint TV as an advantage would be dumb for example. Sprint Nav is nice, but if everyone had the option of a cheaper plan without it, would they opt for a free solution and take the cheaper plan? Probably...

Not to mention Sprint's free mobile to mobile becomes pointless when you are talking about unlimited talk plans anyways. If VZ or AT&T lowered their individual bb data+text+voice (not unlimited voice) plans a bit, I would have no reason to stay with Sprint at all.
    01-15-10 08:59 PM

Advertising Sprint TV as an advantage would be dumb for example. Sprint Nav is nice, but if everyone had the option of a cheaper plan without it, would they opt for a free solution and take the cheaper plan? Probably...

Not to mention Sprint's free mobile to mobile becomes pointless when you are talking about unlimited talk plans anyways. If VZ or AT&T lowered their individual bb data+text+voice (not unlimited voice) plans a bit, I would have no reason to stay with Sprint at all.
    Yeah your right there should be an ala carte or bare bones $75 especially with phones that have Android on it
    01-15-10 10:08 PM
    AT&T is still keeping their unlimited text as a $20 a la carte option (for the iPhone at least, but I believe that's the same for BB's and whatnot.)
    01-15-10 10:24 PM
    So they cut their price to what SEP has been for over a year? Sprint should exploit that -- thought it doesn't matter now that the prices are all even now and their service is sub par. Atleast SEP includes texting.
    01-15-10 10:34 PM

I hear you on that one.
    01-15-10 10:38 PM
    I don't understand how Sprint charges an upgrade fee for a person to renew and get a new phone. I had to "beg" their customer care to waive that fee when activating upgrades. Some would and some wouldn't. Sprint is the only carrier I know that charges an upgrade fee of 18 bucks to get a new phone. That is such a ripoff

Now if I am wrong I am sorry but this was how they did it 3 yrs ago
    01-15-10 11:27 PM
    T-Mobile now charges an $18.00 upgrade fee as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 11:45 PM
    so does att
    01-15-10 11:54 PM
    I believe it was mentioned that both companies, VZW ant ATT, will let you change to these free of charge in the news that I read.
    01-16-10 08:50 AM
    T-Mobile now charges an $18.00 upgrade fee as well.

lol.. why do people complain about what sprint does when at&t user and t-mobile even states they do the same.. at least you can call and have it waived takes 1-5 calls but it gets done..
    01-16-10 09:01 AM
    They still don't beat Sprint or T-Mobile.

Verizon:

• Current Basic plan is re-named Nationwide Talk
    • Current Select plan is re-named Nationwide Talk & Text
    • Unlimited plans will drop 30%, $69.99 for unlimited voice, $89.99 for unlimited voice+text
    • Unlimited Family (2 lines) $119.99 for unlimited voice, $149.99 for unlimited voice+text, additional lines will ring in at $49.99 each
    • $29.99 for unlimited data, $9.99 for 25MB
    • 3G Smartphones will require $29.99 data, 3G Multimedia phones (dumbphones) will require $9.99 or higher data

AT$T:

All smartphone customers, including iPhone customers, may now buy unlimited voice and data for $99.99. For smartphone customers with Family Talk plans (prices assume 2 smartphones), unlimited voice and data is now available for $179.99. Don�t get too excited AT&T�s texting plans remain unchanged at $20 for unlimited plans for individuals, $30 for Family Talk Plans.

source AT&T and Verizon Wireless Announce Plan Price Changes | DroidTalk
    01-16-10 09:02 AM
    I believe it was mentioned that both companies, VZW ant ATT, will let you change to these free of charge in the news that I read.
    Because normally they charge you which Sprint doesn't do. With Sprint you can change your plan at any time as many times as you want without charge or contract extension.

As for the activation fee, in my 10+ years with Sprint it's always been waived.
    01-16-10 09:05 AM
    My activation fees have always been waived automatically since I became a premier customer a few years ago. They always tell you there'll be a fee but it has always been credited back for me.

And it looks to me like Sprint is still the better value because the roll the texting in. I have absolutely no need for unlimited minutes (even before any mobile, any time I only used a couple anytime minutes each month), but unlimited text and data is a must. Sprint still currently wins on that.

01-16-10 09:19 AM
    sprint does have more to offer with the unlimited text & data...would like to see drop in the 450 SE plan...I would probably make the switch then,
    01-16-10 09:33 AM
    As I said in a previous thread elsewhere... I have with company discount.. Unlimited everything (Data/Text/Nav/ETC),mobile to any mobile/any carrier, 1500 mins for landlines.. @ about $70 bucks with two lines (both BB). Price cannot be beat.. Also I love Sprint nav, many times it has been more accurate than the car one esp in avoiding traffic/accidents.
    I have never paid any activation fees ever as well. Sometimes I wonder how Sprint stays in business with all the discounts I get lol. On my last Tour they even gave me an additional $70 bucks off my bill because they shipped to my home instead of business without me even complaining lol..
    01-16-10 09:38 AM
    Here's what it would cost (pre-tax), me to make the switch to Verizon.

Sprint

• 1500 minutes (family plan) $129.99
    • Anytime Any Mobile (included)
    • N&W @ 6 (free add on)
    • 5 home numbers (free add on) Same as your Pick 5 or whatever it's called
    • Navigation (included)
    • Data (included)
    • Text (included)
    • TV (included)
    • NFL Live (included)
    • Visual VM (included)
    • Detailed Billing (included)
    • Insurance ( 7 per line) $14.00

Total $143.99

25% corporate discount $36.00

Grand Total $107.99

Verizon

• Verizon 1400 minutes is $119.99
    • Data 29.99 x2 (told by rep I have to pay this for each line)
    • Navi $10.00 x2
    • Insurance $6.00 x2
    • Visual VM $2.99 x2
    • Detailed billing $1.99 x2

Total $221.93

15% corporate discount $33.29

Grand Total $188.64

Difference of $80.65 a month, that's $967.80 per year.

Not to mention I lose my Any Time Any Mobile, so I'd probably have to move up to the 2,000 minute plan at $129.99 or unlimited for $149.99
    01-16-10 09:47 AM
    Exactly !! I am paying $70 something bucks for the $129 plan !! with com discount. I never insure because I have never lost or broke a phone *yet*. With Taxes it comes up to like 80 something bucks (I never really check to be honest).. For me to have the *same exact features* on VZ it would cost me OVER THREE TIMES AS MUCH !! INSANE !!

Sprint

• N&W @ 6 (free add on)
    • Navigation (included)
    • Data (included)
    • Text (included)
    • TV (included)
    • NFL Live (included)
    • Visual VM (included)
    Total $143.99

Grand Total $107.99

Verizon

• Verizon 1400 minutes is $119.99
    • Data 29.99 x2 (told by rep I have to pay this for each line)
    • Navi $10.00 x2
    • Insurance $6.00 x2
    • Visual VM $2.99 x2
    • Detailed billing $1.99 x2

Total $221.93

15% corporate discount $33.29

Grand Total $188.64

Difference of $80.65 a month, that's $967.80 per year.

Not to mention I lose my Any Time Any Mobile, so I'd probably have to move up to the 2,000 minute plan at $129.99 or unlimited for $149.99
    01-16-10 10:12 AM
    we are still cheaper than AT&T and Verizon no need to cheapen up plans even more. but i wont complain if they do lol. But what Sprint should do more is what they have done already but better and thats tell everyone we are cheaper. Marketing and advertising is key. We at Sprint know we are better than everyone else we should tout our carrier more too.
    01-16-10 12:51 PM

Sprint

• N&W @ 6 (free add on)
    • Navigation (included)
    • Data (included)
    • Text (included)
    • TV (included)
    • NFL Live (included)
    • Visual VM (included)

Total $143.99

Grand Total $107.99
    Let me correct a couple of things. N&W is free for 7 pm, not 6 pm (it costs $10 to get it to start at 6). Also, Sprint only provides visual voicemail for certain phones, like the Samsung Instinct. My Blackberry Tour doesn't have it, so I use Google (which you can consider a free add-on for everyone). The "5 home numbers" thing is something that you have to bother retentions for. It's possible to get it, but it's extra work, and I don't consider my time free.
    01-16-10 02:14 PM
    Let me correct a couple of things. N&W is free for 7 pm, not 6 pm (it costs $10 to get it to start at 6). Also, Sprint only provides visual voicemail for certain phones, like the Samsung Instinct. My Blackberry Tour doesn't have it, so I use Google (which you can consider a free add-on for everyone). The "5 home numbers" thing is something that you have to bother retentions for. It's possible to get it, but it's extra work, and I don't consider my time free.
    Did you see where I stated that the 6PM N&W was a free add-on as is the 5 Home numbers? As far as bothering retentions I didn't have to bother them one bit, Executive Services threw me these 2 perks after some serious issues with their tech support and TEP phone exchanges as their way of saying sorry.

When comparing plans I selected the features I use the most. As far as visual VM both phones on my account have it so I included it.

Those extra aside Sprint is still less expensive than Verizon. I also just found out from a Verizon rep that their corporate discounts only cover the primary line, with that information my cost on Verizon is actually higher.

If you want to compare base plans here it is.

Sprint Everything Data Family Plan

1,500 anytime minutes $129.99

NW @7PM (included)
    Navigation (included)
    Data (included)
    Text (included)
    TV (included)
    NFL Live (included)
    Detailed Billing (included)
    Insurance $7.00 x2

Total before discount and taxes $129.99

25% Discount on $143.99 = $36.00

Grand Total $107.99

Verizon Family Plan

Verizon Voice & Text 1400 minutes $119.99
    Data 29.99 x2 (told by rep I have to pay this for each line)
    Navi $10.00 x2
    Insurance $6.00 x2
    V-Cast TV $15.00 x2
    Detailed Billing $1.99 x2

Total before discount and taxes $245.95

15% discount available on primary line only $182.97 = $27.45

$155.25 + data $29.99 + Navi $10.00 + insurance $6.00 + detailed billing $1.99 =

Grand Total $203.50

Difference is $95.51 per month, or $1,146.12 per year.

Either way you slice it their price cuts don't come anywhere close to matching Sprint.
    01-16-10 02:40 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD