I bought my 9700 on the 20 installment plan. I didn't think that this was considered and upgrade. Should I have received a new sim card with my purchase?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 10:17 PM
    Bump because I can.

11-19-09 07:07 AM
    I've gotten a SIM with the new phones that I upgraded to. Did you?

If you really want a SIM with your phone, your best bet is to upgrade in a tmo store and not let the rep open the box.

11-19-09 10:21 AM
    I bought my 9700 on the 20 installment plan. I didn't think that this was considered and upgrade. Should I have received a new sim card with my purchase?

This has been asked in several different posts.

There is always a new SIM card in every new box. For reasons we don't seem to be able to get clear on, lots of T-Mobile reps try and remove these when they sell people new phones. Many of us agree that you should insist that your new phone be delivered to you sealed in its original packaging and that nothing be removed from it prior to your purchase.

If T-Mobile doesn't believe you need a new SIM card, they shouldn't package them in the boxes to begin with and nothing gives a store rep a right to remove anything from any new purchase you make.
    11-19-09 01:33 PM
    I've gotten a SIM with the new phones that I upgraded to.
    Now we're still in agreement that we're both hanging tough and waiting for the price on the 9700 to drop significantly before either of us are gonna whip out the plastic and take the plunge on the 9700 right?

Don't get weak kneed on me now.

LOL.
    11-19-09 01:38 PM
    LOL. Don't worry I'm not giving in. I was just referring to new phones I've gotten in the past from T-Mobile. They were sealed and shipped with a SIM.

I'm hanging tight onto my trusty 8900.

11-19-09 07:49 PM
    LOL. Don't worry I'm not giving in. I was just referring to new phones I've gotten in the past from T-Mobile. They were sealed and shipped with a SIM.

I'm hanging tight onto my trusty 8900.
    LOL. You go girl.

BTW, I bet your mother always told you that you'd be a genius when you grew up. My prediction is you'll be one shortly.

May I be the first to say congrats genius.
    11-19-09 07:55 PM
    No, she never did say that to me. Just told me to work hard and keep "your eyes on the goal".

But thank you for your words. Right back atcha.

11-19-09 07:59 PM
    No, she never did say that to me. Just told me to work hard and keep "your eyes on the goal".

But thank you for your words. Right back atcha.

I just realized you are posting from your phone and can't see your post count because that doesn't show up on the mobile site.

You have 1499 posts. At 1500 you become a genius. One more post does it for you. Hit me back. LOL.
    11-19-09 08:04 PM
    Really? I thought it was 2k posts, not 1500. Wow, how exciting!

If I remember correctly, your post count is pretty high as well. You should be there in no time.

11-19-09 08:41 PM
    Should I have received a new sim card with my purchase?
    I don't think this is a big deal if you already have a SIM. I had a reception problem where the CS rep marked my record to get a new card from the TM store. Actually, the new card was no better than the old .. and they gave me back the old card.
    Last edited by mandony; 11-19-09 at 10:40 PM.
    11-19-09 10:37 PM
    Wow, how exciting!
    1500 posts. You are officially a genius! Congratulations.

You've made your mom proud!
    11-19-09 11:24 PM
    I don't think this is a big deal if you already have a SIM. I had a reception problem where the CS rep marked my record to get a new card from the TM store. Actually, the new card was no better than the old .. and they gave me back the old card.
    That's not the point. They're opening something you bought and removing something you are supposed to have.

Additionally, I believe if you need a replacement SIM, they charge you $25.

If they're going to take your card, they can pay you $25 and give you the option of selling it back to them.
    11-19-09 11:27 PM
    Yes replacement SIMs are around in the $20 range. When I had texting problems on my old Sidekick (oh thank god those days are over) they suggested that I get a new SIM but I'd have to pay $20 for them to ship it.

I ended up going to ebay and getting one for $6 but seriously, I shouldn't have had to.
    It was my first phone with tmo and when the rep opened the box and took out the SIM, I thought nothing of it. Now I know better.

The easy solution to this problem is getting the phone in store and asking that it not be opened. I mean, it's your phone, right? If they need an IMEI, I believe that's on the box too. Now I've ordered online and got a SIM in the box but this may vary!
    You can always say too that you're planning on giving it to someone and you don't want it opened beforehand!

11-19-09 11:59 PM
    To clarify: SIM cards are removed from the box when buying at a store because we cannot let them leave the store unactivated. There were issues in the past with people taking unused SIM cards and activating them on other people's account. For those who say "What if my SIM card goes bad?" you are not charged for a new SIM card at a store if you are having problems with your phone or service. SIM cards are only $20 at a store if a phone is lost and you do not have the old one.

Do not hassle the rep for removing the SIM card if you buy a phone in store. If you need a new SIM card, have them activate it. Don't insist that you should have it, because they can't give it to you if it isn't activated.
    If you don't want the seal broken, order online. .

11-20-09 01:18 AM
    Do not hassle the rep for removing the SIM card if you buy a phone in store. If you need a new SIM card, have them activate it. Don't insist that you should have it, because they can't give it to you if it isn't activated.
    If you don't want the seal broken, order online.
    Norris, you're a good guy buy this response is just ridiculous. You have NO RIGHT opening a sealed box that I am purchasing to remove anything. In effect you are stealing from me when you do. What's next? Removing the instruction manual or the battery because you think it's acceptable to do so because you work for T-Mobile? BS.

If T-Mobile (or any other carrier) doesn't believe SIM cards should be distributed with new phones, then the carrier should not have them sealed in the box. Where else in life would you go and find store sales associates OPENING SEALED BOXES to remove things from purchases without the permission of the customer? No where, that's where.

You're treating us here like we're dummies. I've point blank asked different T-Mobile associates in different locations why they do this business of stealing SIM cards out of new phone boxes and the answer is always the same ... to maintain an extra supply of SIM cards in the store to sell if people need replacements.

If you don't want customers having these SIMs, then don't package them in the sealed boxes. But let me tell you that I will NOT accept any box that someone has opened on their own in the back room without my permission to remove anything.

This whole business reeks of sleaziness. Opening someone's purchase to remove things without their permission. Tacky. Just totally 3rd-rate tacky behavior.

11-20-09 09:39 AM
    Norris, you're a good guy buy this response is just ridiculous. You have NO RIGHT opening a sealed box that I am purchasing to remove anything. In effect you are stealing from me when you do. What's next? Removing the instruction manual or the battery because you think it's acceptable to do so because you work for T-Mobile? BS.

If T-Mobile (or any other carrier) doesn't believe SIM cards should be distributed with new phones, then the carrier should not have them sealed in the box. Where else in life would you go and find store sales associates OPENING SEALED BOXES to remove things from purchases without the permission of the customer? No where, that's where.

You're treating us here like we're dummies. I've point blank asked different T-Mobile associates in different locations why they do this business of stealing SIM cards out of new phone boxes and the answer is always the same ... to maintain an extra supply of SIM cards in the store to sell if people need replacements.

If you don't want customers having these SIMs, then don't package them in the sealed boxes. But let me tell you that I will NOT accept any box that someone has opened on their own in the back room without my permission to remove anything.

This whole business reeks of sleaziness. Opening someone's purchase to remove things without their permission. Tacky. Just totally 3rd-rate tacky behavior.

Right on berry........moreover EVERY....EVERY time i get a phone from the warehouse it comes with a non provisioned SIM....I save these up in case i ever need em so that I dont have to pay for one.....
    I dont get why you charge for a sim if a phone is lost but not if the sim is bad.....why does it matter.....does TMO actually wanna make the loss of a phone any more of an insult.....like it was lost on purpose?

anyway berry.......I dont buy this we dont want them leaving unactivated for fear of cloning BS.......its exactly as you say....the STEAL em from you.....then dare you to say a word about it....effectively holding you and your service hostage.....

So if i qualify for an upgrade and i buy a 9700 lets say at full retail....and my current sim is perfectly fine.....your not gonna let me take MY un provisioned SIM?.......IM THROWING THE BS FLAG.......this is where some of these store reps need to learn their place.....your an in store CSR....your not a decision maker your labor.....JUST LIKE ME.....so do your job and gimme my phone.....this isnt CDMA there isnt any NAM programming or service edit screens.....just gimme my phone and Ill be good thanks
    11-20-09 10:32 AM
    I am with you guys.

As for the point about people using the SIMs to activate on others' accounts...I don't see how removing the SIM would stop this.

If I wanted to do that, I would first have to have the personal info on the account to gain access to activate the SIM. Getting a sim is small potatoes - just go on ebay. If someone had their mind set on doing that, they'd do it.

Removing it doesn't really deter anything and just makes some customers mad...

11-20-09 10:57 AM
    So, forgive my not being able to wrap my brain around this... but... I just upgraded to an 8520 and it came to me with a new sim still attached to the credit card sized card. My existing sim is ancient and battleworn. Am I able to slide this in my phone and keep on going, or would I have to call T-Mo and have them transfer sim info (serial # and the like) before I could use it??
    11-20-09 11:30 AM
    they would have to provision it....its pretty easy just call em and give them the numbers on it.....and wala your sim is provisioned....but this is the reason they give it to you.......were complaining bout the fact that had you gone in store they would have jammed that battleworn sim right back in your new device since it still works.....and then ganked your new card that was included with the new 8520 for their own....even though it was included in your new devices box....then if you wanted a new one they would have charged you 22.00 for it........

its tantamount to saying oh you already have a device with a micro charger thats working....oh ok then well just take this one out of your box and well sell it to someone else and still charge you full price for the device.....and then well sell this brand new one to some other poor schmuck.........they wont even give you a discount.....they basically just take your sim and tell you to suck it up.....or your other option is they will refuse to sell you the phone if you dont accept their terms.....total BS
    11-20-09 12:24 PM
    I am with you guys.

As for the point about people using the SIMs to activate on others' accounts...I don't see how removing the SIM would stop this.

If I wanted to do that, I would first have to have the personal info on the account to gain access to activate the SIM. Getting a sim is small potatoes - just go on ebay. If someone had their mind set on doing that, they'd do it.

Removing it doesn't really deter anything and just makes some customers mad...

exactly artemis....it doesnt.....its a game.....some manager one day in some far away state decided he would save his store a few bucks and start this practice and eventually we....stupid consumers......just tolerated it and so it progressed........same as the criminal contracts they force us into.......if we would stand up they would cut the crap
    11-20-09 12:26 PM
    they would have to provision it....its pretty easy just call em and give them the numbers on it.....and wala your sim is provisioned....but this is the reason they give it to you.......were complaining bout the fact that had you gone in store they would have jammed that battleworn sim right back in your new device since it still works.....and then ganked your new card that was included with the new 8520 for their own....even though it was included in your new devices box....then if you wanted a new one they would have charged you 22.00 for it........

its tantamount to saying oh you already have a device with a micro charger thats working....oh ok then well just take this one out of your box and well sell it to someone else and still charge you full price for the device.....and then well sell this brand new one to some other poor schmuck.........they wont even give you a discount.....they basically just take your sim and tell you to suck it up.....or your other option is they will refuse to sell you the phone if you dont accept their terms.....total BS
    Awesome, thx...Im holding onto it for when my 5 yr old sim does crap out on me.
    11-20-09 12:39 PM
    Trust me guys, I don't think it's a necessary step by any means. You guys know your stuff with phones and are by no means idiots. Arguing with the sales rep does no good though, as it isn't the sales rep causing the problem. Policy is policy, whether I personally agree with it or not. It's no different than getting upset with a sales rep over the phone price to begin with.

This is one thing AT&T has right. Inventory SIM cards separately.

If you want the legal view on it, the box says SIM cards are not included with upgrades (At least they used to)

Don't misunderstand, I question the reasons too. But badgering me over a SIM card (Not you guys personally) is adding unnecessary headaches to my day for something that is not within my control.

Also, if you're being charged for an EXCHANGE on a SIM card, like if yours is in your posession and goes bad, then I would question it.
    11-20-09 01:37 PM
    Trust me guys, I don't think it's a necessary step by any means. You guys know your stuff with phones and are by no means idiots. Arguing with the sales rep does no good though, as it isn't the sales rep causing the problem. Policy is policy, whether I personally agree with it or not. It's no different than getting upset with a sales rep over the phone price to begin with.

This is one thing AT&T has right. Inventory SIM cards separately.

If you want the legal view on it, the box says SIM cards are not included with upgrades (At least they used to)

Don't misunderstand, I question the reasons too. But badgering me over a SIM card (Not you guys personally) is adding unnecessary headaches to my day for something that is not within my control.

Also, if you're being charged for an EXCHANGE on a SIM card, like if yours is in your posession and goes bad, then I would question it.
    I agree totally....Ive said it since my first post.....treating your CSR whether in store or over the phone rudely accomplishes nothing!!!!

If we disagree theres proper ways to accomplish sending our messages....
    11-20-09 02:26 PM
    To clarify: SIM cards are removed from the box when buying at a store because we cannot let them leave the store unactivated. There were issues in the past with people taking unused SIM cards and activating them on other people's account. For those who say "What if my SIM card goes bad?" you are not charged for a new SIM card at a store if you are having problems with your phone or service. SIM cards are only $20 at a store if a phone is lost and you do not have the old one.

If you don't want the seal broken, order online. .
    Why can't the SIM card be unactivated? My niece bought a new phone 2 months ago, and it was stolen yesterday from her at school. If the TMo store had let her keep her brand new SIM, she could have just brought it in to be activated when she needs it, right?
    11-20-09 02:29 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD