I have a 9 month old Verizon Tour that is showing strange signal strength numbers.

I have noticed that if I take it out of the case, it will show 0 bars and if I go the the status page it will show -115dbm after a minute or so it will go to 5 bars and -80dbm, then after a while it may drop back to -115 then go to -80. My phone has done this several times before in this one particular area. There were not a whole lot of people around so I doubt it was over crowding on the tower.

Thinking it was a PRL issue, I updated the PRL but still did the same thing.

I have noticed this occurring in a few locations but the most apparent is 7 miles East of Selbyville, DE in an area called Bayside Americana. This is right on the MD DE state line.

Does anyone else see this type of behavior?
    Last edited by pendetim; 06-16-10 at 06:50 AM.
    06-16-10 06:48 AM
    There are threads all over the place about this on here. Don't think anyone knows what is causing it or what to do about it beside contact your carrier.
    06-16-10 06:52 AM
    There are threads all over the place about this on here. Don't think anyone knows what is causing it or what to do about it beside contact your carrier.
    Thanks. I did a quick search before posting and did not see anything. Sorry for the dupe thread.

Is it just Verizon service or a genetic disease that all tours have?

Tim
    06-17-10 05:15 AM
    Many Tour's and now Bold's seem to have this jumpy signal. Personally I turned my SIM card around, many remove it all together, and my signal has gotten a little more steady at keeping a signal and a lot less loss.
    06-17-10 05:17 AM
    LoL its not just the "tours" and "bolds" tho my curve has done that but not as often as it use to .
    06-17-10 05:29 AM
    Many Tour's and now Bold's seem to have this jumpy signal. Personally I turned my SIM card around, many remove it all together, and my signal has gotten a little more steady at keeping a signal and a lot less loss.
    My signal is more steady now, but is there any way to get the "sim card error" notification to GO AWAY?
    06-17-10 11:46 AM
    My signal is more steady now, but is there any way to get the "sim card error" notification to GO AWAY?
    In Mobil Network Options, change Network Technology to 1XEV. You only need it in Global or GSM/UMTS when you leave the US or use a SIM Card that will work in the US.
    06-17-10 02:49 PM
    Some have said that the gsm/cdma antennas conflict with each other. Thats why removing the sim or flipping it helps. Funny my bold started doing the sig ramping a few days after I got it. Removed the sim,rebooted and it's been great ever since. YMMV
    06-17-10 03:38 PM
    That's odd, my phone never ever had a sim card in it and it's been crazy bouncing some days.
    06-17-10 03:52 PM
    Yeah, that's the thing, there's no cut and dried, same/same results. That's why I added YMMV.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-17-10 04:07 PM
    LoL its not just the "tours" and "bolds" tho my curve has done that but not as often as it use to .
    It has been seen more so in these devices then it was on the Curve.

Also, this trick won't work on some other devices, as they dont have a SIM card.
    06-17-10 04:16 PM
    After update to .732 the signal issues started to occur.. called vzw after two hours of "Troubleshooting" now i have a trouble ticket that takes 72 hrs to get a call back. my emails are coming in hours late and I'm dropping calls.... I may as well be on AT&T. This is in downtown Boston too.
    06-23-10 11:50 PM
    After update to .732 the signal issues started to occur.. called vzw after two hours of "Troubleshooting" now i have a trouble ticket that takes 72 hrs to get a call back. my emails are coming in hours late and I'm dropping calls.... I may as well be on AT&T. This is in downtown Boston too.
    Did you update OTA? Many have experienced problems doing this. App Loader is the way to go. You might need to wipe and re-load.

06-24-10 06:37 AM
    My 8530 does that also. Right now I have 3G no bars. And I'm outside. Any ideas. I'm running 5.0.734, my wife had a 8530 and I had a storm 2 doing the same thing.

06-28-10 10:48 AM
    My 9630 (3 month old FRU) running 5.0.0.732 is doing the same thing. It will show 2 to full bars and then suddenly 0 bars with 1XEV showing. Does this many times a day.
    VZW tech support said it sounds like a device issue. She offered to ship me a replacement Tour but i declined.

06-28-10 03:47 PM
    My 9630 (3 month old FRU) running 5.0.0.732 is doing the same thing. It will show 2 to full bars and then suddenly 0 bars with 1XEV showing. Does this many times a day.
    VZW tech support said it sounds like a device issue. She offered to ship me a replacement Tour but i declined.

Same here, it's killing my battery too.

Should I call and complain?
    06-28-10 04:42 PM
    Yes, you should call to report the issue if it's bothering or affecting your battery. You will probably get a replacement Tour. i didn't notice it draining my battery, but you may be right about that.

i declined a replacement because it's not a major deal to me and it's a hassle for me to to transfer everything and re-register all my apps.

06-28-10 04:49 PM
    Well I dont want another Tour really. I hate this one and I'm pretty sure I'd hate the next one. I just really want the Droid X.
    06-28-10 05:34 PM
    Well I dont want another Tour really. I hate this one and I'm pretty sure I'd hate the next one. I just really want the Droid X.
    Agreed, blackberry was good for a little while but then i saw all these other phones and now i'm really thirsty for something more advanced. esp when all my other family members have iphones and droids..
    06-28-10 05:41 PM
    Flip, even when the 6.0 OS comes out, will still be outdated.

I use quickpull once every day, and it's still a piece. Just wondering what they would say other than offering me another Tour that's probably going to be soon discontinued anyway, what's the point in that?
    06-28-10 05:42 PM
    Spoke to verizon today. Made a ticket claim. Also said that there were many other tickets in my area with the same issue. Strange because my wife's phone has full bars always. And whenever I'm away from my area I have full bars. But when I get within 1/4 mile I get this issue. Making me mad and wish I never joined verizon.

06-29-10 12:54 PM
    Try going to options>advanced>host routing table, press menu and select "register now".

That may or may not help you. I can tell you it helped stabilize my signal a lot, although I can't tell you why. I had been jumping between 1X and 1XEV with the strength fluctuating quite a bit. Now it's a lot more calmed down after trying the above and making sure I had the latest PRL.

06-29-10 01:17 PM
    Try going to options>advanced>host routing table, press menu and select "register now".

That may or may not help you. I can tell you it helped stabilize my signal a lot, although I can't tell you why. I had been jumping between 1X and 1XEV with the strength fluctuating quite a bit. Now it's a lot more calmed down after trying the above and making sure I had the latest PRL.

I did that also. With the verizon rep also and still no resolution. Very annoying now. And getting more and more. As now its going from 1/4 mile to a full mile from my home area.

06-29-10 11:46 PM
    Try pulling the SIM (not reversing it), and make sure you have the latest PRL. It doesn't do it as much on my Tour.
    06-30-10 04:22 AM
    My 8530 doesn't have a sim card slot. I should of gotten a tour. I had the chance but choose the 8530 because wifi. I love the phone just the service signal is getting me mad.

06-30-10 10:54 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD