Today for the first time i saw that my BB bold had a been stuck on a gsm signal icon. I've never seen gsm in that area before. Its always been either edge,3g, or sos. Would gsm show up because I unlocked the phone? Any help would be appreciated.
    05-17-09 11:10 AM
    is gsm just a slower speed than edge?
    05-17-09 11:12 AM
    haha, I had this two the other day. GSM (2G) is the basic network AT&T can pick up, then EDGE is 2.5G, and 3G is self explanitory. I was in a pizza parlour and I picked up everything! it was switching from GSM, to EDGE, back to 3G, and I was like, wtf? Didn't matter anyway as I wasnt using by BlackBerry but it was funky.
    05-17-09 11:55 AM
    haha, I had this two the other day. GSM (2G) is the basic network AT&T can pick up, then EDGE is 2.5G, and 3G is self explanitory. I was in a pizza parlour and I picked up everything! it was switching from GSM, to EDGE, back to 3G, and I was like, wtf? Didn't matter anyway as I wasnt using by BlackBerry but it was funky.
    thats what i was thinking
    05-17-09 09:21 PM
    GSM cant pick up data only voice. if you had gprs than that's a step up from GSM and can do data.

this has happened to me as well, in my home starting like a month or two ago my signal been switching from gsm to gprs to edge, sometimes stuck on the lower ones. it gives me horrible signal as well once it's on gsm or gprs. i had to go out buy an antenna signal booster just to get better signal in the house where i spend most my time. i wouldnt want to waste 200ish on a booster, but i had to. and now i get full bars and edge connection in the house thanks to it. so it was worth it i guess, although i wish att had a tower near my area haha.
    05-19-09 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD