I signed up for the 3 year contract with TELUS getting the world edition 9530 storm. I'm on my 4th storm, which I also need replacing because the camera stopped working, speaker phone turns on by itself, and a whole bunch of other things.

1 year is almost up, and I am just so fed up with this phone, it is crap.
    I am very interested in the iPhone 3GS so here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to swap my contract or remaining of my contract to the iPhone 3Gs?

2. Could I get a unlocked iPhone 3GS and have it activated with my remaining contract via GSM?

3. How much would this cost, and is TELUS's GSM network as good as their CDMA network? I get full reception in my basement apartment via CDMA, where as my friends with Rogers GSM, they get none.
    11-20-09 07:35 AM
    Sorry to hear about your phone. I have exactly the same one and it has been flawless for me and several of my friends for over a year. I would suggest forwarding your questions to Telus though. They would be best equipped to answer them for you.
    11-20-09 02:51 PM
    ....I hear you I am on my 4th Phone as well at the moment and let me tell you the TELUS Nightmare I am having. I just wanted them to give me a 9530 that was not refurbished figuring after 4 units it was time to try something else! But NO WAY! So they offered to give me a phone for $300 and of course a renewal of my contract to 3 years. Does anyone else see a problem with that? I am in my 11 � Month and have been dealing with this crap the whole time. Why would (or should) I have to pay for something I already paid for? To top it off I was in a TELUS store to get another swap unit because I have no choice and the REP said to me in front of other customers I should stop mooching off them and buy a new phone if I’m unhappy with it!! To top it all off I was talking to the loyalty department and the rep I talked to there said and I quote “Why should I apologize to your for something one of our 3rd party reps said to you in a store” umm are you kidding me? Did he really say that? I was in a TELUS store talking to a guy wearing a TELUS shirt in a store selling TELUS products!!!! My question is who is responsible then!!!!! Anyway if you are changing to the Iphone I recommend a different company Telus will not let you keep your rate plans anyway!!! I strongly urge a change. SO FRUSTRATED!
    11-25-09 06:42 AM
    have u guys updated your phones at all ? Im running OS 5.0.0.328 and i love my phone ..
    11-25-09 01:42 PM
    Sorry to hear about your phone. I have exactly the same one and it has been flawless for me and several of my friends for over a year. I would suggest forwarding your questions to Telus though. They would be best equipped to answer them for you.
    You must work for them I swear I have heard them say those exact words!
    11-25-09 08:28 PM
    have u guys updated your phones at all ? Im running OS 5.0.0.328 and i love my phone ..
    I'm glad you find the storm sufficient for you needs, it was not for mine. due to no open GL rendering, everything is done in software mode which lags the crap out of the CPU.
    12-16-09 05:03 AM
    I was able to get my iPhone through Telus. They offered $300 dollars off the no contract price for whichever iPhone i wanted if I extended my contract 1 more year (back to 3 years).. They only gave me that offer because I demanded to speak to a supervisor and complain on the lack of professionalism and incompetence of their staff since they completely misinformed me on the following:

- I was told that my BB all in one plan could be transfered to my iPhone no problem.

- I was told that any unlocked iPhone will work with Telus (not true, if the MEI number is not pre-registered from apple, the data network is blocked). So I got a used beaten up one off craigslist and I unlocked it, but the data did not work.

- I was told the swap fee would be waved and when I went to my Telus store they shut me out and told me to do it over the phone.

There were a few more things that they screwed up on but I can't remember. Anyways they also offered to slash my bill 50% for the next two months so it kinda worked out.

Only thing I hate now is i bought that stupid HSPA card for nothing because their iPhone comes with one, and you have to pay the system access fee.

I sold the used one, got the new one. All is good so far. man those iPhone plans are way cheaper than the blackberry ones but no unlimited plan...pretty stupid.
    12-16-09 05:07 AM
    i had the iphone for a week, its an amazing phone but you need a chrager in your pocket at all times. the battery life blows. this is what telus reps have told me when i talk to them. if you want a phone for talking or busniess texting and **** like that dont get the iphone. if you want a phone for games and lots of stupid apps well get the iphone. to me the iphone should not be a phone its liek the ipod touch its more ment for games and music and apps not for talking on. and like i said i found the battery life very very ****ty i had to charge it 2 or 3 times a day
    12-16-09 07:07 AM
    I Agree I had the iphone for all of 3-days and the battery life is terrible, I also have a storm 9530 on the 5.0.0.323 os and this storm is 10 times better than what it came with, I will be going to telus and buying the 9550 today as reading up on it its suppose to excellent. Just so you know when you buy the iphone from a telus dealer in calgary the min you walk out the door they will not help you with it they insist you go to the apple store. Now the apple store is just as bad because when i mentioned how bad the battery life was they said to me its not a phone its a computer and that was the best i was going to get, and if i wanted better life on the battery i should turn of all the things i wanted the phone for, I sold my iphone and sent an e-mail to apple just to let them know i will never buy there products again.
    12-16-09 09:31 AM
    I Agree I had the iphone for all of 3-days and the battery life is terrible, I also have a storm 9530 on the 5.0.0.323 os and this storm is 10 times better than what it came with, I will be going to telus and buying the 9550 today as reading up on it its suppose to excellent. Just so you know when you buy the iphone from a telus dealer in calgary the min you walk out the door they will not help you with it they insist you go to the apple store. Now the apple store is just as bad because when i mentioned how bad the battery life was they said to me its not a phone its a computer and that was the best i was going to get, and if i wanted better life on the battery i should turn of all the things i wanted the phone for, I sold my iphone and sent an e-mail to apple just to let them know i will never buy there products again.
    ya i got the 9550 after and i love it. it is alot better than the first storm. they typing is fast ans so much better.
    12-16-09 10:29 AM
    Just got my 9550 and downloaded the new os on here the 5.0.0.428 and this phone is 100 times better than the 9530 . I have only had the phone for 3-4 hrs and it grrrrreeeeeaaaattttt
    12-16-09 03:48 PM
    the Storm2 carries the same CPU as the Storm1...iPhone 3GS CPU is faster
    12-30-09 11:15 AM
    Like i said above and the girl at telus who sells me the phones if you switch from your bb you will be sorry, and she is right. It cost me a lot of money to get back into the 9550 storm after buying the iphone, The iphone has terrible battery life drops call and service all over the place and the email doesnt work like bb. I dont care if there the same cpu as the new storm 2 with the .428 os is twice as good as the iphone. I also have a 9530 storm on the .328 os and its 10 times better than what it comes with for an os.
    12-30-09 12:33 PM
    ya the iphone is the ****s man. i had it to and got rid of it and i was sorry i left bb, but i went and got the storm 2. it may not be as fast but its better. all the iphone ie really any good for is apps and playing fames and yes the battery really sucks *** lol im never leaving bb again
    12-30-09 02:55 PM
    I can't believe how often I'm hearing this exact same thing... I've now heard of over 10 iPhone users who have gone back to BB because of the crappy battery life. Wow. The only ones who haven't are Apple fanbois who have no problem having to carry the charger... Denial, I say.

The best one I just heard is how one guy I know had to charge his iPhone throughout the day and swapped to the Bold 9700... he's getting 4 days out of his battery and he ranks the Bold above the iPhone on nearly every aspect (and what isn't above, is generally equivalent).
    Last edited by Krypto; 12-31-09 at 02:13 PM.
    12-31-09 02:09 PM
    I can't believe how often I'm hearing this exact same thing... I've now heard of over 10 iPhone users who have gone back to BB because of the crappy battery life. Wow. The only ones who haven't are Apple fanbois who have no problem having to carry the charger... Denial, I say.

The best one I just heard is how one guy I know had to charge his iPhone throughout the day and swapped to the Bold 9700... he's getting 4 days out of his battery and he ranks the Bold above the iPhone on nearly every aspect (and what isn't above, is generally equivalent).
    Wow another I have to agree, here is my experience in the last month dealing with Telus. Had the S1 bought a S2 went through 3 of them with the button issues even after the leaked software was loaded all 3worked great for 2 weeks then the send and end buttons would stop responding. Went back to Telus they offered me a iPhone on the new HSPA network, and let me bring my phone plan from the older network along with a $25 data plan 500MB. Had it 12 days it was ok but the battery life was just not acceptable! Returned it on Saturday picked up the Bold 9700 and let me tell you I couldn't be happier! I do miss the the Storms screen size but the resolution on this BOLD is second to none! In short when I left and went to the iPhone I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I can't see me leaving a bb for another device any time soon.
    01-04-10 10:35 AM
    I know exactly what ur going thru...i went thru 3 storms before i finally got one that worked properly...the first 2 i had i kept getting a white snowy screen everytime i received a call or it would freeze everytime i answered a call...luckily the last one i got hasnt given me any problems and im going on a year now since i got it so hopefully it doesnt start giving me problems now that my warranty is gonna be up...about the iPhone...im not a big fan of it...maybe cuz i love my BB...or maybe cuz im not a fan of carrying my charger for the rest of my life...i figure if u wanna have something like it just get an iPod Touch and keep ur BB as ur phone
    01-04-10 11:23 AM
    I signed up for the 3 year contract with TELUS getting the world edition 9530 storm. I'm on my 4th storm, which I also need replacing because the camera stopped working, speaker phone turns on by itself, and a whole bunch of other things.

1 year is almost up, and I am just so fed up with this phone, it is crap.
    I am very interested in the iPhone 3GS so here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to swap my contract or remaining of my contract to the iPhone 3Gs?

2. Could I get a unlocked iPhone 3GS and have it activated with my remaining contract via GSM?

3. How much would this cost, and is TELUS's GSM network as good as their CDMA network? I get full reception in my basement apartment via CDMA, where as my friends with Rogers GSM, they get none.
    Stick with BB and get the Storm 2. This is a great phone not a great toy but a great all around phone/PDA. I tried the HTC Hero and the iphone before the Storm 2 and sent the other two packing.
    01-16-10 12:18 PM
    Well you never got that OS from telus, I have been arguing with them for about three weeks about when OS 5 is going to be available and they keep telling me its not out yet and they dont have it.So me being me i said bullcrap.
    01-18-10 05:28 PM
    Well you never got that OS from telus, I have been arguing with them for about three weeks about when OS 5 is going to be available and they keep telling me its not out yet and they dont have it.So me being me i said bullcrap.
    Im on Telus and im running the latest OS from here and have no problem at all
    I know for a fact that my Telus Reps in PTBO Stores with the storm are ALL running .328 or higher OS but Telus dosent have it go figure............
    01-18-10 06:55 PM
    That's very true - a friend of mine actually had his iPhone with him and I had my Storm on me. His phone (during all his tweeting) and in the cold, went down about 1/3, whereas mine only went down about 1/5, under the same conditions (I was Facebooking out in the cold and BBMing).
    01-26-10 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD