My business partner and I purchased a suncom unplan with a Samsung e105 a couple of years back. We used this strictly as a marketing line and all we've ever done with it is forward calls to an automated online messaging system.

When T-Mo bought suncom our plan became what T-Mo calls Unplan Net Restrict.

I am (finally?) ready to get a Blackberry. I travel frequently now for business (sometimes to St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands -- this may be important in recommending a plan to me) and need email access, but don't want to take my laptop on every trip. A Blackberry seems a good solution. Right?

Also, I don't like surprises on cell phone bills. Therefore I prefer to have unlimited voice, texts, and email access. I don't do anything else (IM, etc).

Two days ago when I logged into our T-Mo account online, a pop-up box offered to allow me to change to T-Mo's Unlimite Loyalty Plan because we had been customers for so long.

Another box offered to give us a $135 credit if we brought in a phone number from another cell phone company to use on an added line.

I currently have a Sprint phone and number that I may be willing to port over for this credit if it makes sense (I've gotten several surprises on my sprint bills...not a fan).

I want to keep the existing Suncom (T-Mo) phone number for marketing/call forwarding (I do not need unlimited anything on this phone as it only forwards incoming calls), and I want to keep the existing Sprint phone number as this is my primary phone number -- although I am not necessarily staying with Sprint as a carrier.

Here's the question: Should I add a line for a blackBerry to the existing T-Mo Net Restrict Unplan and then add data service (Remember I want unlimited voice, text, and data)? Or should I change to T-mo's Unlimited Loyalty Plan and add data, text, etc?

Here are the details:

I currently pay $67.29 per month including all taxes for the Unplan Net Restrict

I need my Samsung e105 to continue to work with any new plan because the call forwarding is handled inside the phone itself.

I called T-Mo and they told me that 1) St Thomas would be treated as any other US state as far as billing/roaming goes. 2) The Unlimited Loyalty Plan would be $49.99 per month for each of two lines (one for the existing Suncom 'marketing number' and one for the Blackberry with the ported over Sprint number on the added line), Blackberry unlimited data would be an additional $39.99 per month and include unlimited web, texts etc.

Therefore, if I switch to the Unlimited Loyalty Plan for both phones, my bill would be $49.99 each for two lines, plus $39.99 for Blackberry. If my math is correct, that comes to $134.97 per month plus taxes, whcih is $67.49 for each line (if simply divided by the two lines I wold have).

Because I am currently paying $67.29 for one line (that only forwards calls), it appears on the surface to make sense for me to double that charge and have a blackberry with unlimited voice, texts, data.

I guess I have to consider the cost of the Blackberry as well, but if i can get the $135 credit for porting over me Sprint number I could apply that to the purchase.

Anyone know how much the blackberry will cost me? Should I buy online or at a T-Mo store?

Am I going to be stuck with a new contract with T-Mo (I hate contracts)?

Am I going to get nationwide instead of regional coverage?

Is there a whole other way to do this (i.e., with a different carrier) that I have not thought of?

I would love some feedback from the knowledgeable folks here as I admittedly have not kept current on cell phone offerings.

BTW-When I logged in this morning (to my account at T-Mo) the $135 credit offer to "port your non T-Mo carrier number over" did not pop up and I cant seem to find it anywhere on the site. How do I get this again.

A Final PS: - My business partner's name is on the account at T-Mo and my name is not. Therefore I've been trying to handle this mostly on the web. My Biz partner is on board with everything but doesn't want the hassle of handling any of it. I've basically taken over the existing suncom T-Mo number, pay the bill, etc.

Thanks for any help!!
    05-22-09 08:15 AM
    I'm pretty sure that the US Virgin Islands are considered roaming to be honest. I'd call customer care and double check that again. As for the Unlimited Loyalty plan, for two lines (family plan type of deal) it's 89.99. If you wanted to have two individual lines on the account, it's 49.99 a piece. For 34.99 you will get unlimited text messages, e-mails, data, etc, per line. Also consider insuring the device for 5.99 a month, which covers damage, water damage, lost, stolen, and a lifetime manufacturer's warranty for defects. A deductible for a BB is typically 130 and they overnight you a brand new phone.

As for the 135 dollar credit, don't worry about the pop up. You can claim that at any time. Just make sure you have your account number and pin/passcode for that Sprint account to be able to be ported in. Have your partner call customer care and add you as an authorized user. If he does that you can handle just about everything. For new activations though, the account holder would have to do that if I'm not mistaking. Hope this helped a bit.
    05-22-09 09:26 AM
    Thanks xTemptation,

Your recommendation appears to be to switch to the loyalty plan and abandon the old unplan. I just want to be sure they aren't offering the loyalty plan just to get me to abandon the unplan.
    05-22-09 10:39 AM
    You may have a unique situation seeing as you were switched over when T-Mobile bought SunCom, but the unlimited loyalty plan should not extend or initiate (in your case) a contract.

Frankly, a pretty good deal. Also, see if you can wrok the old data plan price of 19.99 and the unlimited texting for 9.99.

Check the other threads to find the codes for these. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 02:55 PM
    If we offer you the unlimited loyalty plan, it's because you've been with the company for over 2 years. Even if you were with Suncom originally, not T-Mobile, your contract dates and original activation date carry over. This is why you were offered the loyalty plan. Your contract won't be extended since it's a promo that we've directly offered to you.
    05-22-09 06:35 PM
    Their is certain parts of the virgin Islands that is still considered the US and is included on T-Mobile's coverage map and there is certain parts that would be roaming.
    05-22-09 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD