I'm planning on getting a Curve very soon and just had a few questions concerning the integration between BB and Gmail.

First, some background. I have two Gmail accounts, a main/fun one and a professional one that my med school e-mail forwards to. I would like to use the main/fun one with the Gmail app (along with other Google apps), and I believe it would be a hassle to continually log into and out of it with the two different accounts.

Second, the questions. I wanted to know whether I should use Gmail's POP or IMAP on my BB's native e-mail program. I've read a bunch of threads on the topic, but haven't really gotten one that answered the question for my situation. I am leaning towards IMAP, but maybe POP is better if IMAP doesn't give me what I need.

1. I don't care about the instantaneous push with POP. The 15 min delay is fine for me, as I don't really do much time-sensitive stuff.
    2. Does the IMAP support the folders/labels I use in Gmail? I would like the ability to move/copy e-mails to the proper folders.
    3. Does the BB's native e-mail app support "send mail as," and if so, does it work in IMAP? Since I forward my med school e-mail to my Gmail, I'd like my replies to appear from my med school account, if possible.
    4. How does deleting/archiving work with IMAP and POP? If I delete on my BB, does it move the e-mail to the trash in Gmail, or does it archive it? How do I get it to do the other one?

The main question is, is there a way I can use my BB exclusively and have it integrated with both web Gmail and Outlook/Thunderbird IMAP support? Or will I need to do some bookkeeping via Gmail/desktop to make sure everything is archived/labeled properly? If I need to do those extra steps to make sure it works as I'd like, I'd probably prefer the instantaneous POP to IMAP. If it doesn't seem like IMAP is right for me, does anybody have a good solution to my quandary?

Thanks for all your help.
    07-11-08 07:43 PM
    Wow, that's a long and complicated post

I tried initially using the gmail mail app and eventually went with push instead. It was just a lot easier to have everything in one place. You can set up multiple gmail accounts and send from both of them at will. You can also choose to have all emails dumped into one folder, or seperate them. You can also choose to delete emails from your BB only or on your BB and the gmail server.

If you set up gmail via BB push, you will need to set up a filter at sprint.blackberry.com that states when you receive an email from your own email address it does not forward to your device. Otherwise each time you send a gmail via your handset you will also receive a copy of the email in your in box. I'm not sure why this is this way, but i had to do this work-around on both sprint and at&t blackberry devices.

When using blackberry push for gmail you will only be able to see emails that arrive after such time you set up the account on your BB. If you use the Gmail application on your blackberry you will be able to view all old emails.

Having said that, if you decide to use push, you can always view everything in your gmail account via the blackberry browser.

As for sending email from an alternative address, you can only send emails from an address that you have set up on BIS.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by hominid7; 07-13-08 at 12:47 AM.
    07-13-08 12:44 AM
    Thanks a lot. Whether it seems like it or not, you have actually been a great help.
    07-13-08 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD