So, I've searched and cannot find what this is. Is it a phone number? If so what's that number?

Basically, I'm trying to change some of my SMS settings and cannot because I don't have this number.

Any help would be appreciated. (I've called Sprint and they've referred me to Blackberry and BB has referred me to Sprint - some kind of circular logic)

Cheers!
    Danielle
    06-03-09 09:02 AM
    Well, SMS is controlled by Sprint. What exactly are you trying to change?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 09:06 AM
    I have no Service Center number listed in my SMS settings so I cannot make any changes (all I want to do is update the Number of previous items from 7 to 10 - Nothing special). But I get an error about the Service Center being invalid...

I never had these problems with Verizon ...
    06-03-09 09:16 AM
    I have a Sprint Curve and I don't have a selection for Service Center in my SMS and I can send text fine. On my ATT work BB I have the service center. the number there is +13123149810 and I can send text from there fine.
    06-03-09 02:59 PM
    So... a little clarity ... it's a confusing world...
    I have no problems sending or receiving SMS text messages. That works just fine.
    When in Options/SMS Text there are six (6) options that can be set: Delivery Report; Priority; Service Center; Call Back Number; Disable Auto Text; Number of Previous Items.
    As I do not have the Service Center number, I cannot change any of the other settings. I have never, in the last year and a half, had a number in the Service Center option.
    Any ideas who I should talk to? Sprint did not seem to have a clue what the number should be. I'd like to be able to make some changes to the available options to make my texting life easier ...
    Thanks for the replies ...
    06-03-09 03:23 PM
    On my Sprint berry I go, Options > SMS Text and I have the following options:
    Priority, Callback Number, Disable Auto Text, and Number of Previous Items. I don't think that Service Center is something that is associated with Sprint. On my ATT 8830 if I go Options > SMS Text, I have the following options, Disable AutoText, Leave Message on SIM Card, Data Coding, *Service Center*, Network to send over, and Number of Previous Items. So I'm not sure that Service Center is associated with Sprint.
    06-03-09 03:33 PM
    my bb 8330 with Sprint has the following options:

priority
    callback number
    disable auto text
    number of previous items

thats it
    06-03-09 07:18 PM
    I don't see any Service Center on my Sprint BB 8330 either.
    06-03-09 09:00 PM
    Sprint doesnt use a service center to send out SMS. We use metcalf which is a web based sms system that our system routes through to send out to other providers. If its a sprint to sprint sms it stay in our tower system.

This is why you do not see a number there.
    06-04-09 09:33 AM
    OP is using an 8830 world phone... the service center is probably for the GSM portion of the quadband...
    rjbtmkc
    CrackBerry User
    Device Model: 8830
    Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
    PIN: 31795C7C

Guys check out the device model for posters before assuming it is 8330
    06-04-09 11:53 AM
    Its on options> sms text

06-06-09 01:56 AM
    Does anyone know what the Service center number for SMS text is on the Sprint tour? Didn't have the option on my curve but now I need it for turning on SMS Text Delivery Report.
    07-30-09 11:34 AM
    It would appear that issue is related to GSM as if you remove the sim card, the service center fills in with your normal phone number of your phone. I am old Alltel user switched to VerizonWireless and had the same issue with the "optional" sim card installed. Removing the sim card allows you to make the changes needed and save. Then when you reinstall sim card your changes are there but service center back blank again
    08-03-09 01:01 PM
    I just typed "0" into the service center number and it allows me to save the SMS settings
    08-30-09 12:04 PM
    Does anyone know what the Service center number for SMS text is on the Sprint tour? Didn't have the option on my curve but now I need it for turning on SMS Text Delivery Report.
    I have a Tour and I can just change the option from 'Off' to 'On' for Delivery Report. No service center call needed.... but no, I don't have a service center number...
    08-31-09 01:57 AM
    So, I've searched and cannot find what this is. Is it a phone number? If so what's that number?

Basically, I'm trying to change some of my SMS settings and cannot because I don't have this number.

Any help would be appreciated. (I've called Sprint and they've referred me to Blackberry and BB has referred me to Sprint - some kind of circular logic)

Cheers!
    Danielle
    Its 18002124727
    I know its the number to customer service or something... But I used it and wah lah! It worked

09-03-09 09:10 PM
    Evidently, entering ANY phone number into this field will satisfy the requirement, and allow you to save settings.

I had just noticed this same issue on my Tour, when I attempted to change the number of previous items. Without an entry in this field, you cannot save changes.

As noted in the previous post, just enter the Sprint customer service number -- you can then save your other changed settings. When you go back to check, the Service Center field is empty again.

I also entered my own phone number with the same results -- you can save changed settings, the field shows up empty the next time you check it, and -- most importantly -- SMS text messages still work, inbound and outbound.

Regarding those who responded that their Curve's don't have this field -- you are correct -- they don't -- my Curve doesn't have it either -- but the Tour does, and unless an entry is made in this field you cannot save changes to other entries under SMS Text.

You can't always use a different model to resolve the issue on another ....
    09-06-09 08:33 AM
    I'm in Jamaica using my Tour on the Digicel network and I'm unable to send SMS. I've also tried entering the service center number from a local BB, and it got rejected. If anybody has any info for the correct number to use that would be awesome. I'm sending SMS through Google Voice as a workaround, but it would be nice to have it working from my main number.
    12-14-09 06:03 AM
    Sprint doesn't support SMS abroad, Your text messages are stored for 72 hours and upon your return to Sprint coverage you will get those received in the last 72 hours. If more than 72 hours have passed since you receive the text, it will be erased.

That's what a rep from Internation Services in Sprint told me. I'm just the messenger
    12-15-09 06:27 PM
    Here's the deal guys. Only world phones (8830, Tour) on CDMA networks have the service center option because it is for when the phone is being used internationally. GSM networks use service center numbers when handling SMS messages.

However, in case this is of use to anyone... Sprint doesn't have a service center available for international users! So this means if you buy a world phone, thinking you will have all the same functionality overseas as you would here... one of your most simple and VITAL functions will be unavailable! Depending on where you are, voice and data services will function as usual, but text messaging seems to be out of the question. I read this in Blackberry Forums, there was a regular international traveler who could not get this solved by Sprint OR Blackberry... and he is having to break his contract to avoid racking up tons of roaming charges calling everyone.

So, as far as changing the settings, it doesn't matter what you put in the service center field. It will require an entry if you want to change the settings in that menu, so you can just enter your own number. I entered my Google Voice number hoping it would send text messages appearing to be from the Google Voice number, and it still appeared as my normal Sprint number.

So regardless of what's in that field, it doesn't really matter... it's of no use on a CDMA network in the US and overseas Sprint doesn't have a service center.

If anyone knows of Sprint resolving this issue, please share.
    01-12-10 10:14 PM
    My 8350i has this option. Does the same apply for Nextel? SMS did work for a short time after the last OS update but then around the middle of November it stopped working.

01-12-10 10:26 PM

Cheers!
    Danielle
    My Tour has +7 next to service center number.

02-16-10 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD