I'm not even sure if this is possible or not, but is there a way to send SMS via an application, thus dodging the need to spend addition money for an unlimited texting plan? If one is already paying for Data, it seems there should be some way to send SMS via internet bypassing having to pay for a texting plan. Any ideas?
    04-11-09 10:04 PM
    SMS sent via data is basically MMS, from an end-user point of view. MMS uses your data plan, as do PINs.
    04-11-09 11:03 PM
    SMS sent via data is basically MMS, from an end-user point of view. MMS uses your data plan, as do PINs.
    While MMS uses data, I'm pretty sure that they are charged as messages against a texting plan.

I'd LOVE to find an app that circumvents the normal SMS. It peeves me I have to pay 14.99/month for unlimited. That's just too much!
    04-11-09 11:20 PM
    Man pin:3052E2EE let me know how your only paying 15 bucks for unlimited texting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 09:54 AM
    While MMS uses data, I'm pretty sure that they are charged as messages against a texting plan.

I'd LOVE to find an app that circumvents the normal SMS. It peeves me I have to pay 14.99/month for unlimited. That's just too much!
    That would be correct. T-mobile charges it as an SMS. I think $15 for unlimited text isn't a bad price, since I was paying $10 for 1000 texts when I had AT&T.
    04-12-09 10:05 AM
    That would be correct. T-mobile charges it as an SMS. I think $15 for unlimited text isn't a bad price, since I was paying $10 for 1000 texts when I had AT&T.
    Ah, I know...T-Mobile texting has a better deal when compared with other carriers, but T-Mobile Sidekick really spoiled me! The Sidekick plan I had for a while was 19.99/month for unlimited messages, data, email, and backup.

Guess I can't complain too much >< BB is great!
    04-12-09 02:38 PM
    There is no way to send SMS except by SMS. You could send PIN messages or BBM instant messages using your BIS/BES data plan, but neither of those are SMS.

04-12-09 08:31 PM
    Hey Look! Its another "Something for Nothing" thread!
    04-13-09 06:15 AM
    Man pin:3052E2EE let me know how your only paying 15 bucks for unlimited texting.

Unlimited texting on a TMO single line is $14.99, $19.95 on a family plan.
    04-13-09 06:29 AM
    While MMS uses data, I'm pretty sure that they are charged as messages against a texting plan...
    That would be correct. T-mobile charges it as an SMS...
    I don't have MMS capability on my Verizon 8830, or I would test this for myself. How does T-Mobile know that an MMS message is text only? Why would they care? Or am I missing the point entirely? Thanks for the enlightenment.
    04-13-09 06:58 AM
    Short Messaging System. Multimedia Messaging System. If you use SMS or MMS, you're using a messaging system that charges per message not per byte. It's like saying, "I already paid for gasoline, how can I avoid paying tolls?" Don't take the tollway.

04-13-09 07:55 AM
    I don't mind paying for the service since its something I legitimately use, but I figured I would ask. And T-Mobile really does a good job at only charging $14.99 for unlimited text. I must say I do appreciate their lower costs to other carriers. They don't have an unlimited text and data bundle for the BB do they?
    04-13-09 05:57 PM
    Short Messaging System. Multimedia Messaging System. If you use SMS or MMS, you're using a messaging system that charges per message not per byte. It's like saying, "I already paid for gasoline, how can I avoid paying tolls?" Don't take the tollway.

I think we're talking past each other. But since I don't have MMS, I may really be missing the point. So let's change it to pins, where I do have experience. If you have unlimited data, and you choose to send a PIN to another BB user, why should that count against your text message limit? It isn't a text message. It's not a question of getting something for nothing, it's a question of being billed for something you're not using. Pins are data, not text, and should not be billed as text.
    04-13-09 09:09 PM
    I think we're talking past each other. But since I don't have MMS, I may really be missing the point. So let's change it to pins, where I do have experience. If you have unlimited data, and you choose to send a PIN to another BB user, why should that count against your text message limit? It isn't a text message. It's not a question of getting something for nothing, it's a question of being billed for something you're not using. Pins are data, not text, and should not be billed as text.
    PINs are never billed as text messages.

The only messages that are billed per message are SMS and MMS.
    If you're sending text or media to a phone number, than you'll be billed per message.

BBM or PIN messages are included with the data plan, even if you're sending pics over BBM or something, so you're good in that case.
    04-14-09 11:45 AM
    They don't have an unlimited text and data bundle for the BB do they?
    They sure do!

If you get the 34.99/month package (which is what I have), that's the same as paying 19.99/month for unlimited BB data and then 14.99/month for unlimited text. So you get 34.99 and that's unlimited messages and data.

A great deal!
    04-14-09 11:47 AM
    They sure do!

If you get the 34.99/month package (which is what I have), that's the same as paying 19.99/month for unlimited BB data and then 14.99/month for unlimited text. So you get 34.99 and that's unlimited messages and data.

A great deal!
    Maybe Im cheap, but that is expensive to me! 35 plus my minute plan, that puts you in the 90's after tax. I really wish there was a way to text without text!
    04-15-09 02:46 AM
    Maybe Im cheap, but that is expensive to me! 35 plus my minute plan, that puts you in the 90's after tax. I really wish there was a way to text without text!
    You're right...it is sort of expensive, and I know what you mean. I'm a college student and I hate having to shell out money every month for that.

However, I think it's a steal compared to other carriers...in fact, ALL other carriers are much more expensive compared to this plan from T-Mobile.

With Verizon, you pay 29.99 (BIS - BES is 44.99) for data alone, another 20 for text.
    With ATT, you pay 50/month for data/unlimited text, add another 10 if you want to tether (and it's not unlimited)
    With Sprint, you can get unlimited everthing for 99 or unlimited everything data/messages with 450 min for 69.99...I don't know about you, but I don't like Sprint because it's HORRIBLE in my area.

Still, T-Mobile has a pretty good deal if you keep that in mind.
    I really wish we didn't have to pay for text messages...they cost next to nothing to send! Seriously!
    04-15-09 11:42 AM
    you could do google voice app on your blackberry but your sms number would be different than your actual phone number.

have all sms's sent to your google voice number. thats what i do but i also have regular sms
    02-12-10 06:38 PM
    Yeah when this thread was made, I don't think GV was out yet for use.

You can send SMS via GV over data so it's "free" (doesn't count as texts), however, receiving texts would still cost you .20/each (or come out of your monthly bucket)...
    02-12-10 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD