I recently pruchased a BBerry Pearl 8130. When I try using GPS Navigation it stalls while finding sattelites. I contacted Sasktel Support and was told that their network doesn't support GPS. Can someone explain why? Because I have a buddy who has a different smart phone and uses GPS just perfectly on the Rogers Network using Sasktel Mobility's towers in S'toon and Regina.

It will triangulate my position in Google Maps, but only within 1700M. I would like to get detailed driving directions while in the S'toon or Regina.

Any information is appreciated.
    09-05-08 12:34 PM
    GPS has nothing to do with your cellular carrier, its an entirely separate system. The only thing your carrier is doing is supplying the data connection so you can download the maps.

GPS will work on Sasktel's Pearl and Curve (and I've heard the 8830 works after an OS upgrade), but the receivers are quite weak. I doesn't work well in a downtown setting, and only works in a car if it is on the dash out in the open. Find an open area in a park and leave it search for satellites for a while. You'll see it works. I bought a bluetooth GPS receiver for mine and it does wonders.

On its own I would not recommend one of those device for GPS navigation, especially in cities.
    09-10-08 11:31 PM
    I've tried the most open areas in Regina and still no gps signal, are you sure it's not like locked out somehow? On amaze it says can't find gps satellite. I really want to get this to work. Help I'm addicted to my rockberry.
    01-22-09 04:21 AM
    I'm having a similar problem while on the Sasktel network. Telus 8130, GPS works amazingly with Google Maps when I'm in Calgary but hardly works at all here in Moose Jaw. It briefly captured a GPS connection connection, for about 5 seconds today.

However, in BB Maps, it works like a charm. Wierd. So I'm thinking maybe Sasktel does block data for Google Maps. No wonder people from Alberta make fun of our neighbours to the East!
    03-11-09 09:01 PM
    just to jump in i'veGot a pearl on mts (manitoba) and I have had problems getting GPS to lock in on my location as well... I have not played with it a lot but every time I do I wait forever for a signal and never get it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 06:55 AM
    The GPS is aGPS (assisted) and they probaly left the server setting blank. You can add them manualy.

I assume that you have a data plan as this used data.

I dont have the settings for SaskTel or MTS but the Bell or Telus settings should work.

See my guide
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    03-12-09 10:04 AM
    I'm having the problem with my 8330 on SaskTel. Takes forever to lock onto sats. But once I do (and it's usually a 25% of attempts that work) it stays locked on really well, so not sure what's going on. Going to try the GPS fix posted above and see how that works. There is far too little Sasktel info out there and there should be more considering how behind Sasktel is. We need all the help we can get!
    03-12-09 01:02 PM
    I was told that sasktel doesn't support it but it gives similar results using cell tower triangulation rather that satellite. But anyway my 8130 from sasktel I just use google maps and it seems to triangulate my position very well. Built in maps not so hot.

03-13-09 03:20 AM
    Just enter the server settings using Telus or Bell info and it should work. It will give you a lock in about 5-10 seconds.
    03-13-09 10:03 AM
    If you look for the thread in the telus forum on gps fix you'll find out how to fix it.
    as house ape said, bell or telus values should work. I used telus.
    i don't understand why sasktel is so behind with all this.
    I would upgrade to OS 4.5 first even though Sasktel STILL haven't officially released it for their phones.
    it's not that sasktel doesn't support gps, as gps is a wholly different system.
    it took a few clicks using to qpst to enable very accurate, quick satellite locking gps. if a dummy like me can figure it out, you'd think sasktel would be able to do it. But no. they continue to tell everyone they don't support gps and don't have a newer OS due to technical problems they won't specify.
    sorry for the rant, but had to get that out there.
    hopefully all sasktel BB users can get gps working for themselves.
    it's WAY better than cell tower triangulation.
    03-15-09 03:06 PM
    GPS has nothing to do with your cellular carrier, its an entirely separate system. The only thing your carrier is doing is supplying the data connection so you can download the maps.

GPS will work on Sasktel's Pearl and Curve (and I've heard the 8830 works after an OS upgrade), but the receivers are quite weak. I doesn't work well in a downtown setting, and only works in a car if it is on the dash out in the open. Find an open area in a park and leave it search for satellites for a while. You'll see it works. I bought a bluetooth GPS receiver for mine and it does wonders.

On its own I would not recommend one of those device for GPS navigation, especially in cities.
    after changing my gps settings in my curve, I can get anywhere from 8-13 satellites sitting inisde, nowhere near an open space.
    03-15-09 03:17 PM
    Ok I've gotten through all the steps in QPST and completed the write to my Pearl 8130.....right down to the errors and reboot of the phone.

However, the GPS does still not want to lock onto my location in "Maps". I have tried both Telus and Bell GPS settings but perhaps this is a settings issue in the Pearl itself??

Any ideas are appreciated - Thanks!
    Last edited by SKINTIGHT; 04-19-09 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Adding more info
    04-18-09 05:33 PM
    Works great for me, thank you very much House Ape.
    07-14-09 11:33 AM
    It works. I've used my sasktel 8130 on various GPS apps. It just depends on the app how quickly you get locked on. Google is a weird one. I was using it and crossed the AB SK border and it lost signal. Restarted my phone and it worked fine. Probably just a tower thing. But google gives up searching for sats after only 1 minute. Its weird.

07-14-09 12:06 PM
    I have tried to get my gps to work on my 8130 and my phone will connect to my computer when i have desktop manager running, and i will leave that program running, but QPST will not see that my phone is connected and will only want to run in offline mode.
    08-16-09 02:35 PM
    Wrong qpst maybe?

08-20-09 07:11 PM
    I have tried qpst build 301 and 215 still to no avail. I went into device manager and changed the ports being used to anything between 1 and 4 and it still didn't work... i've upgraded my phone os to 4.5 and DM to the most recent. does anyone know why this isn't working?
    08-23-09 12:42 AM
    I notice this is currently done using the BB desktop software for PC. Unfortunately I'm on a Mac and would rather not wait until the Mac software drops. Suggestions?
    08-24-09 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD