As of right now i have a older Samsung Blackjack with the Internet/Media Net data plan that includes unlimited Data and 1500 text messages (i believe this plan option has been discontinued) Its a $30 plan (in addition to minutes)

My question is - when i get the used AT&T curve from my friend and insert my sim will i be able to continue using this same plan with the blackberry or will i have to call AT&T up to tell them i need new services to accommodate the blackberry? The main reason i want to know is because this plan is about the same as the blackberry personal plan however it includes the 1500 sms messages whereas i'd have to purchase an additional sms message plan with the blackberry.

ALSO,

Does blackberry messenger use text or data plan when sending messages? Does e-mail count as text or data plan?

Thanks a ton in advance,

Vinny
    10-24-08 07:35 PM
    BBM and email count as data...i'm not very familiar with at&t and sim cards.
    10-24-08 07:39 PM
    It should work fine, because it is the exact same thing that i have, the only thing is you wont have push email and BB messenger. But i use the Gmail app anyways. Other than that, data works fine. Im sure an AT&T person is going to come on here and say "You cant do that! You MUST have a Blackberry plan" Well, im proof that you dont, and there are several people that i have come across on this site that uses MEdia net on their Blackberry. The only thing the "Blackberry plan" does is puts you on Blackberry's servers for BIS and BES and BB messenger, other than that, the data from AT&T is all the same.
    10-24-08 08:03 PM
    what's BES and BIS??

i use 2 gmail accounts as a personal account and i have a school (hotmail based i think) account, as well as a work account? will i be able to recieve those without the 'blackberry plan'?

will i still get 'push' mail with the gmail app wit my media net plan?
    10-25-08 02:41 AM
    You will not get push email period. The gmail app, you would have to go into it manually to check.

No Push email and no BB Messenger.

10-25-08 02:44 AM
    You will not get push email period. The gmail app, you would have to go into it manually to check.

This is correct.
    10-25-08 09:21 AM

Jaden is spot on!

I swapped put my BJI for an 8321 Curve last Sunday and used my old media-net bundle for the week.
    It worked fine except no push or BB Messenger.
    Last night I added BB-personal 200.

I use G-mail as well and find the push thru BIS worth the difference in price ($10monthly).

This service rocks over my BJ with media-net
    I am just getting started with messenger (2 contacts), but it looks like it may be pretty cool.
    10-25-08 03:57 PM
    I really suggest getting a Blackberry specific data plan. It is worth the money just for the push email, and BB messenger alone! Not to mention, it is about the same price as that if I am correct.
    10-25-08 04:14 PM
    Gmail has notifications on a BB as long as you leave it running in the background. So it "like" push email, just probably not as quick.
    10-25-08 04:30 PM
    ok well thats good to know, ill be able to run the blackberry with my media plan then upgrade it when i have the time.

thanks.
    10-25-08 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD