Rumor and confirmed= oxymoron, but this is was reported on BlackBerry Cool's website and it says it is from an ENGINEER at Sprint:

Sometimes you need to post a poorly researched rumor in order to get the real details. Recently, an engineer at Sprint confirmed the following details about the Sprint BlackBerry Niagara:

The BlackBerry Niagara is slated to launch in Q3 and will have the following specs:

EVDOrA
    GSM 850, 900,1800,1900and UMTS 2100 (japan)
    International Data will support GPRS, EDGE, UMTS & HSPA
    3MP Camera
    1400 MA Battery

Verizon will launch the device before Sprint because they are basically just paying for the Broadcom patent infringement to use the chipset in its existing form. Sprint wants the re-engineering effort to happen so they don�t have to pay the Broadcom fee so their launch will be a little later.

So, hopefully this will pan out.
    02-28-09 05:45 AM
    well just like anything else we will see, but yes I have herd also that the varient of the "bold" sprint will be getting is infact the Niagra so in every rumor there is an element of the truth
    02-28-09 09:20 AM
    Well it sounds good. Gives me time to save up money for this bad baby!!
    02-28-09 09:25 AM
    As much as everybody complains about getting BB's last I honestly like it.
    Usually the quirks are worked out and we get a better device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 09:28 AM

That is so true!! Verizon Bold'ers will get the glitches and get pissed while we work out the problems Verizon has and release a better Bold product!!
    02-28-09 09:32 AM
    Well I realize as a bb fan I might be with the wrong company but since my plan is excellent...I stay...
    02-28-09 10:02 AM
    That is so true!! Verizon Bold'ers will get the glitches and get pissed while we work out the problems Verizon has and release a better Bold product!!
    I don't think that there will be many glicthes. The BOLD is awesome and AT&T has had it out for a while now, if anything I am pretty sure that Verizon knows the issues (if any) that the phone had with AT&T. Just my thought.
    02-28-09 10:09 AM
    Sweet Q3, just in time for my next upgrade. But as usual, I won't hold my breath. LOL

02-28-09 12:38 PM
    Well, my next upgrade is in November... Hopefully my Christmas present to myself can be a new 9030...

02-28-09 09:29 PM
    I don't think that there will be many glicthes. The BOLD is awesome and AT&T has had it out for a while now, if anything I am pretty sure that Verizon knows the issues (if any) that the phone had with AT&T. Just my thought.
    We'll you have to remember too that sprint has to flash their software onto it too.
    Everybody's curve was great before we got ours but it did not have pic messaging.
    Swaping over to a different cell service provides a whole boatload of issues.
    I would imagine

02-28-09 10:13 PM
    We'll you have to remember too that sprint has to flash their software onto it too.
    Everybody's curve was great before we got ours but it did not have pic messaging.
    Swaping over to a different cell service provides a whole boatload of issues.
    I would imagine

Yep, it's not even just the software. CDMA phones use different hardware than the GSM phones, so it's an entirely different beast and you can end up with different problems as a result.

Verizon makes changes/restrictions to their phone's that Sprint does not, so Verizon debugging their own issues isn't necessarily buying Sprint users anything...
    Last edited by papped; 02-28-09 at 10:56 PM.
    02-28-09 10:54 PM
    CDMA tends to be more stable from what I hear thou, of course that could be jive info

02-28-09 10:57 PM
    Interesting info for sure...
    02-28-09 11:00 PM
    Yeah I was on the vzw website and I guess someone wants to start a class action lawsuit against them for blocking all gps but theirs.

I have always wondered if I got a garmin software for my phone is it still the phone gps or is it a stand alone gps.
    I would just like to know if when using the garmin software I lose reception will I lose gps directions?

02-28-09 11:46 PM
    If u go on the Garmin website(BB products) the offer a few diff versions of GPS softwear one version come with a GPS reciver that u plug into the phone, so I really could have it work ethior way but useing the seperate recivor would free up ur devices resources

02-28-09 11:54 PM
    You could use the Garmin software with your Verizon phone, but thanks to Verizon's naziesque locking down of the built-in gps, you'd have to get an external gps receiver. The way it works is, it only has a (relatively) small app on your phone that controls the gps and the rendering of the maps... The app polls the Garmin servers for the map and the route info though, so if you lose cell service you lose the connection to the Garmin server, and all the map/route info.

The gps puck that comes with the Garmin Mobile app is bluetooth (as are most 3rd party gps pucks).

03-01-09 02:58 AM
    Yep, it's not even just the software. CDMA phones use different hardware than the GSM phones, so it's an entirely different beast and you can end up with different problems as a result.

Verizon makes changes/restrictions to their phone's that Sprint does not, so Verizon debugging their own issues isn't necessarily buying Sprint users anything...
    Exactly. For one, you can't compare GSM tecnhology with CDMA technology and for two, obviously Sprint is going to have different software, so when Sprint flashes their software onto the device, it'll be pretty much like 1st gen.
    03-01-09 01:27 PM
    Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Hopefully its worth the hype.

03-01-09 01:35 PM
    Well I realize as a bb fan I might be with the wrong company but since my plan is excellent...I stay...
    Wrong company? Girl, wash your mouth out with soap and say 3 Hail Mary's!!!
    03-01-09 06:08 PM
    Sprint has one of the better BB services

03-01-09 06:15 PM
    Hopefully the GPS hardware won't only work when the CDMA radio is used like on the 8830's, and hopefully its real GPS. The GPS systems in the GSM versions of the Blackberry devices are much more accurate than the GPS in the CDMA phones.

Can't wait for Sprint to get a new World capable blackberry with a camera. These specs look promising if they are true.

Also I doubt there will be any re-engineering... It is expected that Qualcomm will just end up in a licensing agreement with Broadcomm. That's what the analysts are predicting anyway.
    03-01-09 07:52 PM
    Wrong company? Girl, wash your mouth out with soap and say 3 Hail Mary's!!!
    You know I love Sprint but they are last to the party for when it comes to bb's and I want my CAKE AND TO EAT IT TOO...
    03-01-09 08:08 PM

I feel the same way chris! It uasully works out better for us.

03-02-09 02:23 AM

I agree wholeheartedly!!
    03-02-09 03:33 PM
    The only thing is this ISN'T the Bold - it is a Bold variant. Reviewing the specs demonstrates that there are significant changes from the Bold.
    03-02-09 03:34 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD