Hey all..need some help....Sounds like this is the place for it. I have an unlocked storm from bell that I am using on my Rogers account. It is a beautiful thing...until Friday when I stopped being able to receive texts. I can send em, just can't get em....any suggestions?
    06-02-09 01:03 PM
    try deleting them off your memory, its one of the most common fixes for blackberries not receiving texts
    06-02-09 03:05 PM
    Fadetoblack I have a question 4 u. I'm moving to Oshawa from Toronto, my cell# is 647 what is your suggestion how to do it with Rogers to avoid paying long distance charges? My plan is in this thread somewhere(it's# 426)and I wanna know what is the best plan to go with. I'm going to call mostly Toronto #s as well as I'm still going to work here.
    Thank u.
    06-02-09 05:00 PM
    depends on how often you plan on going back and fourth (sp?). When your in a city regardless of what your number is, if you call that city then its local. So even if you have a number from oshawa and are in toronto calling all your friends its a local call, but people from toronto have to call long distance to call your number. If your going to be in oshawa the majority of the time its smart to have that as your number. The other option is my-5 canada wide, then it doesn't matter what city your in and what numbers your calling it will be unlimited for you. Its kind of confusing so I hope this helped.
    06-02-09 05:13 PM
    depends on how often you plan on going back and fourth (sp?). When your in a city regardless of what your number is, if you call that city then its local. So even if you have a number from oshawa and are in toronto calling all your friends its a local call, but people from toronto have to call long distance to call your number. If your going to be in oshawa the majority of the time its smart to have that as your number. The other option is my-5 canada wide, then it doesn't matter what city your in and what numbers your calling it will be unlimited for you. Its kind of confusing so I hope this helped.
    So basically if I'm calling my friends or anybody in Toronto from Oshawa that's a local call but when they call me it's a long distance?
    And my5 makes them to make a local call as well?
    06-02-09 05:41 PM
    no. if your in a city and calling that city its a local call, but if your in oshawa calling toronto its long distance whether you have a toronto number or not. That's were my-5 comes in. The other option is to have your toronto friends phone you and use unlimited incoming while your in oshawa with an oshawa number so you don't get charged.
    06-02-09 08:15 PM
    no. if your in a city and calling that city its a local call, but if your in oshawa calling toronto its long distance whether you have a toronto number or not. That's were my-5 comes in. The other option is to have your toronto friends phone you and use unlimited incoming while your in oshawa with an oshawa number so you don't get charged.
    Thanks! I do have unlimited incoming but not an Oshawa number. My problem is that my friend won't call me if they have to pay long-distance. That's what I try to figure out how to make them want to call me. With my 5 any incoming-outgoing calls from both side is free?
    06-02-09 08:33 PM
    yes my-5 makes incoming and outgoing is free. If they have my-5 they can call you too.
    06-02-09 09:00 PM
    I work for Rogers Retail directly (not a dealer) and just got my first bb (an 8900)

I am located in New Brunswick

Feel free to pm me if you have any general questions about Rogers, or any specific questions about Rogers in the Atlantic Region.
    Last edited by jelloman; 06-04-09 at 02:46 PM.
    06-04-09 02:42 PM
    welcome to the forums, hopefully you can help out with forums, i've been handling the majority of the questions, but its always nice to have some help.

Cheers
    06-04-09 04:36 PM
    does anyone know when rogers is going to release a software update for the 8900???

i am hesitant to use another cariers software.

thanks.
    06-11-09 01:23 PM
    just take the jump, rogers os's for bb is ancient. huge improved with the newer os's. not a big risk, just do a backup before u upgrade. i think newest for 8900 is .250
    06-11-09 06:18 PM
    i usually just download the latest update from blackberry directly and then update my phone, never had any problems yet.
    06-11-09 07:32 PM
    I was looking at a BB Bold but texts from Canada to the US are 60 cents each?

what's the deal with that?
    06-11-09 08:39 PM
    what do you mean? why isn't it included? that's because its to the US, why would it be covered and not cost 60 cents?
    06-11-09 10:37 PM
    uh... You could text to the US for free on Telus...60 cents for a north american text message?? I could text the UK for 15 cents only.

Thats ********!!!

Please tell me this is wrong because I was about to buy the iphone on the 19th and this really kills it.
    06-12-09 09:12 PM
    uh... You could text to the US for free on Telus...60 cents for a north american text message?? I could text the UK for 15 cents only.

Thats ********!!!

Please tell me this is wrong because I was about to buy the iphone on the 19th and this really kills it.
    i think you might be mistaken. Its free to text within canada as long as you have a package and you pay to send it to the states, with rogers or with telus unless you have a package to accomidate for that.
    06-12-09 10:25 PM
    didnt rogers use to allow u to txt usa as part of ur txt pckg... and then they changed it this year or something like that?

60cents is steep
    06-16-09 01:15 PM
    not that i'm aware of, because they have had us and international texting packages for more than a year.
    06-18-09 06:32 PM
    I'm to lazy to digg through my bills, but it changed within the past year. I previously texted people in the states and incurred no charges extra. One month I checked though and I was being billed for them :/.

btw

4,900% markup on some text messages, researcher estimates
    06-19-09 03:33 AM
    Okay, so I have a few questions.
    To start things off, I currently don't have a BB, but I am looking into buying one. I'm with Fido right now in Toronto. My contract ends March 8 2010. Fido only has the Pearl, but you can't even use half of it's features because Fido does not support it. Anyways,

1. If I were to transfer to Rogers, can I take my 1 year contract with me without having to pay some kind of fee? If not, how much would I be looking at if I were to break off my contract?

2. Can I take my current phone number with me?

3. And my last question for now, what Data Plan should I get? I honestly have no idea. I receive about 5 emails a day, but I personally hardly send any. I would check FaceBook daily, and go on BBM. I would use Internet Browsing basically everyday, except when I'm at home with my WiFi. Maybe watch the occasional YouTube once or twice a month. Putting all of this data together, how much would I be using? Would the 500MB/moth plan be enough?

Thanks for the help!
    06-19-09 05:10 PM
    Okay, so I have a few questions.
    To start things off, I currently don't have a BB, but I am looking into buying one. I'm with Fido right now in Toronto. My contract ends March 8 2010. Fido only has the Pearl, but you can't even use half of it's features because Fido does not support it. Anyways,

1. If I were to transfer to Rogers, can I take my 1 year contract with me without having to pay some kind of fee? If not, how much would I be looking at if I were to break off my contract?

2. Can I take my current phone number with me?

3. And my last question for now, what Data Plan should I get? I honestly have no idea. I receive about 5 emails a day, but I personally hardly send any. I would check FaceBook daily, and go on BBM. I would use Internet Browsing basically everyday, except when I'm at home with my WiFi. Maybe watch the occasional YouTube once or twice a month. Putting all of this data together, how much would I be using? Would the 500MB/moth plan be enough?

Thanks for the help!
    If you get the pearl on fido you can use all of the features of a blackberry, they added this earlier this year. Now to answer your questions btw i'm not a rogers rep.

1. you can switch from fido to rogers with no charges.

2. yes you can take your number with you

3. the 500mb plan is more than enough. i send thousands of bbms a month facebook everyday and go on the internet to check weather and stuff and i still havent gone over 30mb:|
    06-19-09 07:45 PM
    If you get the pearl on fido you can use all of the features of a blackberry, they added this earlier this year. Now to answer your questions btw i'm not a rogers rep.

1. you can switch from fido to rogers with no charges.

2. yes you can take your number with you

3. the 500mb plan is more than enough. i send thousands of bbms a month facebook everyday and go on the internet to check weather and stuff and i still havent gone over 30mb:|
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    However, how is 500MB enough? If you go to properties in IE on this website, this page is over 15000KBs............15MBs.
    This site does have that mobile browsing option, but not all the sites. I would browse everyday for like at least 30minutes, just on forums.
    I would get the BB Tour if I know 500MB is enough. Only want the Bold because it has WiFi, which I could use at home instead of the data plan.
    Oh, and let's say I get a Bold with a 3 year term. But I want a new phone a year after I sign the contract. Can I switch phone for like $100 by signing another 3 year contract or something? I know Fido has it.
    Anyways, the no cancellation fee sounds very nice, especially seeing how I can take my number with me. I'll be getting my BB very soon if 500MB is indeed enough.
    Last edited by LancerImpact; 06-20-09 at 11:53 AM.
    06-20-09 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    However, how is 500MB enough? If you go to properties in IE on this website, this page is over 15000KBs............15MBs.
    This site does have that mobile browsing option, but not all the sites. I would browse everyday for like at least 30minutes, just on forums.
    I would get the BB Tour if I know 500MB is enough. Only want the Bold because it has WiFi, which I could use at home instead of the data plan.
    Oh, and let's say I get a Bold with a 3 year term. But I want a new phone a year after I sign the contract. Can I switch phone for like $100 by signing another 3 year contract or something? I know Fido has it.
    Anyways, the no cancellation fee sounds very nice, especially seeing how I can take my number with me. I'll be getting my BB very soon if 500MB is indeed enough.
    500mb is enough because blackberry's compress data like crazy, so one website doesn't use that much data. The blackberry tour is only for Telus. If you want to switch phones after 1 year it will be hard because they just changed the rule for the wait to get a HUP its now 2 years into your contract, but it is possible to get an early upgrade but it might be difficult.
    06-20-09 01:01 PM
    didnt rogers use to allow u to txt usa as part of ur txt pckg... and then they changed it this year or something like that?

60cents is steep
    They're raising it to 75 cents as of July 1st ... 60 cents doesnt sound so steep anymore eh?
    06-20-09 07:37 PM
951 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD