yeah wifi is free, you can check by calling the billing department and seeing how much you've used, and you can always plead that you didn't know you could still access it with no data plan or something and try and get the charges reversed, they will usually do it once and have you block internet etc.
    05-07-09 02:16 PM
    Last I checked, Rogers had expanded the unlimited email plan to include IM also.

I'm pretty sure this is because they weren't actually able to plug the hole which made IM use possible. If you get a BlackBerry unlimited email plan without data and instruct Rogers to turn off data because you don't ever want to be billed for it, BB mail and all the RIM IM applications will still work. I used this setup for over a year. Opera Mini used to work under this setup too, but it appears they were successful in blocking that. I have a data plan now, so...

Regarding 3G phones... What more do you want out of a BlackBerry than the Bold? For that matter, I would say that unless you plan to use a lot of wireless data (and not wifi), you should not get a 3G phone. UMA (cellular over wifi) is an awesome feature, and at the moment only EDGE phones with wifi support it. None of the 3G phones from any manufacturer support UMA, including Apple, RIM, and the others.

You will also wind up using more data (and thus more money) with a 3G phone, just due to the mechanics of a faster internet connection. (You can get more done, so you will.)
    05-08-09 09:52 AM
    It all depends on how much you pay per month and how long your current contract has been. There are 5 teir levels that judge what exisiting customers pay on phones, and yes they raised to price on bb's recently due to financial loss on those devices. There are still good deals to be had, the 8220 flip is going for very cheap right now, you just have to keep your eyes out for deals. Some would say calling retentions is "always the answer" but not always, if everyone calls retentions to get deals then eventually they will stop giving good deals to people. That being said, if you are reasonable and not expecting a $800 phone (bold) and a $700 phone (8900) for free and willing to pay a fair price for them then even retentions will be willing to give you a deal of some sort. In the past some people have gotten specific deals by going through retentions but it is a hit or miss situation sometimes.

Basically you can either go with the pricing you are eligible for go through retentions or cancel your account and go with one of the horrible other options (bell and telus).

Cheers

Hi fadetoblack,

I am trying to send you a message, however, the super smart forum software is preventing me from doing that (I am not sure if that is bug or feature):

To be able to send e-mails to other users your post count must be 10 or greater.
    You currently have 2 posts.

How stupid is the above - hmmmm?

Again, please, get back to me (PM or email).

thanks ...:
    confused:
    05-11-09 04:14 PM
    i transfered my number from fido to rogers last month, and signed a 3yrs contrast. but I didn't buy any phone because i hv a unlocked iphone..i am hving a student plan (no data, i use wifi all the time)..now i wish to buy the 8900, i wonder can i add a data plan and buy the 8900 for $249 and , since i didn't use my credit when i open the account?
    05-12-09 01:29 PM
    Hi, just wanted to confirm what I was just told by a rogers rep over the phone. I have a BB curve. I have added the $15 Value pack (unlimited browsing, 1000 texts) but am limited to the Rogers WAP browser. Is that your understanding? Or will I get some monster bill at the end of the month.

Also, it seems that the WAP browser can load images and html pages. is that going to count as usage outside of this plan?

Thanks in advance.
    05-12-09 01:50 PM
    Hey,

I've been a Rogers wireless customer for just over 3 years now, and have yet to upgrade my phone. I've been looking at the Bold and have basically decided that it is the BB I'm getting. The only thing holding me back is the cost of the unit. I spoke with customer service and they've given me a credit of $100, taking the price down to $199.

Before I rush out to buy my Bold, I was wondering if anyone would know whether the price is expected to come down in the next month or two (that's about as long as I think I can hold off), or should I just get it right away?

Thanks in advance.
    05-12-09 10:31 PM
    I currently have a smartphone plan (for nokia e71) and I was given a blackberry pearl from my uncle. I used my sim card from my nokia e71 and inserted it into the pearl. Everything worked great except for bb messenger (i couldnt add contacts/accept requests). Is there any possible way i could add a bb messenger feature to my existing smartphone plan? or would i have to change my plan to a bb plan? Much help is appreciated!

Thank you
    05-12-09 10:56 PM
    Hi fadetoblack,

I am trying to send you a message, however, the super smart forum software is preventing me from doing that (I am not sure if that is bug or feature):

To be able to send e-mails to other users your post count must be 10 or greater.
    You currently have 2 posts.

How stupid is the above - hmmmm?

Again, please, get back to me (PM or email).

thanks ...:
    confused:

you will have to refresh my memory, what do you need me to get back to you on?
    05-13-09 09:30 PM
    i transfered my number from fido to rogers last month, and signed a 3yrs contrast. but I didn't buy any phone because i hv a unlocked iphone..i am hving a student plan (no data, i use wifi all the time)..now i wish to buy the 8900, i wonder can i add a data plan and buy the 8900 for $249 and , since i didn't use my credit when i open the account?
    this is a common problem i get with exchange students, they have their own phone and want to use it and not take a phone when they sign up and then 6 months down the road their phone that they brought with them breaks and they are out of luck. So in answer to your question no you cannot get a phone now you shoulda taken advantage of any promo pricing when signed your contract
    05-13-09 09:32 PM
    Hi, just wanted to confirm what I was just told by a rogers rep over the phone. I have a BB curve. I have added the $15 Value pack (unlimited browsing, 1000 texts) but am limited to the Rogers WAP browser. Is that your understanding? Or will I get some monster bill at the end of the month.

Also, it seems that the WAP browser can load images and html pages. is that going to count as usage outside of this plan?

Thanks in advance.
    the $15 unlimited browsing package is not for blackberries as far as i know. its for normal cell phones.....IF you can use the WAP browser on your blackberry and not get charged then that's awesome for you man, but i don't think that's the way it works.

Cheers
    05-13-09 09:38 PM
    I currently have a smartphone plan (for nokia e71) and I was given a blackberry pearl from my uncle. I used my sim card from my nokia e71 and inserted it into the pearl. Everything worked great except for bb messenger (i couldnt add contacts/accept requests). Is there any possible way i could add a bb messenger feature to my existing smartphone plan? or would i have to change my plan to a bb plan? Much help is appreciated!

Thank you
    you would have to switch to a bb data plan as the E71 uses different data then the blackberry.
    05-13-09 09:38 PM
    I wonder which plan is eligible for buying 8900 for $249?
    could it be the $45 student plan + $25 data plan(500MB)?
    or the $25 student plan + $35 data pack(500MB)?
    or only the $45, $50, $75 voice and data plans?
    05-15-09 02:29 PM
    I wonder which plan is eligible for buying 8900 for $249?
    could it be the $45 student plan + $25 data plan(500MB)?
    or the $25 student plan + $35 data pack(500MB)?
    or only the $45, $50, $75 voice and data plans?
    you just need to have a combined MSF (voice and data plan) that equals $45 a month, so any combination of plans you want will work if it's at least $45 a month before SAF and tax.
    05-15-09 06:14 PM
    you just need to have a combined MSF (voice and data plan) that equals $45 a month, so any combination of plans you want will work if it's at least $45 a month before SAF and tax.

Thank you very much~
    another question, may I change the plan later on if i signed the contrast?
    05-15-09 06:52 PM
    yes you can, i responded to your question via pm
    05-15-09 09:45 PM
    yes you can, i responded to your question via pm
    question to all reps;

my email is not working anymore on my curve, either my rogers.com or my blackberry address;

i just switched sim cards and updated my curves operating system; my bb messenger and pin messages work but not email;

how do i resend service books?; will that help me;

thanks in advance;
    05-16-09 01:43 PM
    ok, i resent books for the rogers.com account and it works fine;

but i cant do it for the blackberry.net address, i think its b/c i cant remember the password;

how do i find my password?

question to all reps;

my email is not working anymore on my curve, either my rogers.com or my blackberry address;

i just switched sim cards and updated my curves operating system; my bb messenger and pin messages work but not email;

how do i resend service books?; will that help me;

thanks in advance;
    05-16-09 01:59 PM
    ok, i resent books for the rogers.com account and it works fine;

but i cant do it for the blackberry.net address, i think its b/c i cant remember the password;

how do i find my password?
    fixed;

thx;
    05-16-09 03:28 PM
    Hi, just wondering what the one year warranty covers? does it include a drop, that made the battery cover really loose, bezel chip, and screen scratch.

stupid holster that came with the phone, the BB got all tangled up and ended up dropping on concrete
    05-17-09 11:55 AM
    Hi all,
    This looks like an open thread so I have a plan price question for the Rogers reps.

I'm considering putting together my first package (using a BB 8800) and I have been reading some of the 'is my plan any good' threads.

Several of the threads suggest that there is a 33% off of value packs.

The $35 Smartphone Data Value Pack looks like it would suit my needs but if I can get 33% off, that would clinch the deal.

Or, are there any 'new deals' in the pipeline?

tia
    05-17-09 03:34 PM
    Hi, just wondering what the one year warranty covers? does it include a drop, that made the battery cover really loose, bezel chip, and screen scratch.

stupid holster that came with the phone, the BB got all tangled up and ended up dropping on concrete
    those are not covered. The warranty only covers manufacture defects, which a drop or a scratch is obviously not a manufactures problem. You would be better off to get a new phone if you said that it wouldn't charge or is turning it self off or restarting or something.
    05-17-09 08:18 PM
    Hi all,
    This looks like an open thread so I have a plan price question for the Rogers reps.

I'm considering putting together my first package (using a BB 8800) and I have been reading some of the 'is my plan any good' threads.

Several of the threads suggest that there is a 33% off of value packs.

The $35 Smartphone Data Value Pack looks like it would suit my needs but if I can get 33% off, that would clinch the deal.

Or, are there any 'new deals' in the pipeline?

tia
    As far as i know people who take the $35 data value pack get the 33.3% discount. Nothing new for data coming out soon that i know of.
    05-17-09 08:19 PM
    Hi!

I currently have a contract with Fido that ends at the end of August. I want to switch to Rogers and get the Blackberry Bold. I've checked a bunch of stores and noticed that the Bold is cheaper at Circuit City. If I switch over to Rogers now would i have to pay a fee? If so, how much is it? I spoke to someone at Fido and she said that I wouldn't have to pay to switch.... but when I spoke to a rep at Circuit City she said that i'd be charged $20/month from now until august. So, can i just call and switch my plan to Rogers and then go to Circuit City and buy the phone (with the 3 year contract)? Or would i have to go to CC and get them to call for me (but i think they'd still charge me)?

Also, why is it cheaper at Circuit City? Does getting the phone at Rogers include some sort of service or something that Circuit City doesn't have?

And last question... will the Bold get any cheaper in the next month or so?

Thanks in advance!!!
    05-20-09 01:24 AM
    Hi!

I currently have a contract with Fido that ends at the end of August. I want to switch to Rogers and get the Blackberry Bold. I've checked a bunch of stores and noticed that the Bold is cheaper at Circuit City. If I switch over to Rogers now would i have to pay a fee? If so, how much is it? I spoke to someone at Fido and she said that I wouldn't have to pay to switch.... but when I spoke to a rep at Circuit City she said that i'd be charged $20/month from now until august. So, can i just call and switch my plan to Rogers and then go to Circuit City and buy the phone (with the 3 year contract)? Or would i have to go to CC and get them to call for me (but i think they'd still charge me)?

Also, why is it cheaper at Circuit City? Does getting the phone at Rogers include some sort of service or something that Circuit City doesn't have?

And last question... will the Bold get any cheaper in the next month or so?

Thanks in advance!!!

If both fido and rogers are available in your area then you will infact be charged for changing carriers just like if you went to bell or telus or koodo or virgin etc... So my advice would be to wait until the end of your contract since it is over soon and get a phone with rogers at that time, unless you really hate fido and want your bold right now type of thing. Keep in mind rogers is coming out with some awesome new phones in the near future, like the storm2, two HTC android phones as well as a couple others, so soon the bold won't even be the best blackberry offered by rogers. Having said that, i don't see prices falling a whole lot since rogers recently lost alot of money last quarter, but you never know with the release of the newer devices you might see some prices changes. Finally, the reason that CC sells phones cheaper is because there are so many of them thay they have what's referred to in the industry as "buying power" kind of like Best Buy or Future Shop. These stores are so large and there are so many of them that they get to give special discounts that other third party dealers cannot give. That's not to say that you still can't get a discount with them. For example, I work for an authorized dealer called Cellcom and we can discount phones as well, basically as long as we are still earning commission (since that's how we get paid) then we can discount phones for people.

Cheers
    05-20-09 05:06 PM
    Hi, I was wondering if a Rogers rep could assist with a few questions that I have?

I have recently been provided with a Blackberry Javelin that I want to hook up with Rogers. I don't however want to sign onto a contract just month to month billing. Is this possible? If so when looking at the Rogers website or plans brochures what type of plans would I be eligible to purchase? from what I can see they all say on new activations with 3 year plans. I am currently with Telus and really want to switch to Rogers. The Telus plan is taken care of already.

Thanks in advance.
    05-20-09 09:21 PM
951 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD