Posted from another thread - recommended that I try here as well:

This is my current plan:

200/Unlimited Eve/Wkds Plan - $20.00

Unltd Eve/Wkend / 200 Wkday
    25 Anytime Minutes
    9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee - $0.50
    SAF - $6.95
    $11 Communicate Value Pack - VM, Call Display and 125 Sent/Unlim Received Text

Discount(s)
    Rogers Wireless VIP 10%
    Better Choice Bundles 15% Disc
    33.3% Value Pack Add-on Disc.

With all of the discounts I pay about $40/month.

BUT

I'm moving to Toronto, I would require some sort of plan that would allow me to call home whenever I wanted (home being Ottawa)

I've looked at simply adding MY5 Canada-wide to my plan but I am looking to upgrade my phone to a Blackberry so I thought it might be more beneficial to me if I changed my plan to the student plan.

My contract is up in December. I'm just wondering if it would be wise to change my plan now before I move and just upgrade my phone or to simply add MY5 Canada Wide to my current plan and keep my existing phone. I realize with the student plan I would have to pay over $70 ($45 base plan + $25 add on package) - but it would give me a lot of options i could take advantage of with my new phone as I would like to upgrade it anyways.

So just wondering which way I should proceed? Any thoughts?

Again any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by RG_28; 04-13-09 at 10:13 PM.
    04-13-09 10:10 PM
    Posted from another thread - recommended that I try here as well:

This is my current plan:

200/Unlimited Eve/Wkds Plan - $20.00

Unltd Eve/Wkend / 200 Wkday
    25 Anytime Minutes
    9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee - $0.50
    SAF - $6.95
    $11 Communicate Value Pack - VM, Call Display and 125 Sent/Unlim Received Text

Discount(s)
    Rogers Wireless VIP 10%
    Better Choice Bundles 15% Disc
    33.3% Value Pack Add-on Disc.

With all of the discounts I pay about $40/month.

BUT

I'm moving to Toronto, I would require some sort of plan that would allow me to call home whenever I wanted (home being Ottawa)

I've looked at simply adding MY5 Canada-wide to my plan but I am looking to upgrade my phone to a Blackberry so I thought it might be more beneficial to me if I changed my plan to the student plan.

My contract is up in December. I'm just wondering if it would be wise to change my plan now before I move and just upgrade my phone or to simply add MY5 Canada Wide to my current plan and keep my existing phone. I realize with the student plan I would have to pay over $70 ($45 base plan + $25 add on package) - but it would give me a lot of options i could take advantage of with my new phone as I would like to upgrade it anyways.

So just wondering which way I should proceed? Any thoughts?

Again any help would be greatly appreciated!
    well ya the student plan is a great way to go but remember ur gonna have to renew ur contract for three years so upgrade ur phone before upgrading ur plan, if u dont wanna renew ur contract call customer relations and tell them ur plan is almost up and u need more LD cause ur moving there is a package for $5 it gives u 1000 long distance min, usually if u tell them i will disconnect if i dont get more min they offer that, sadly rogers doesnt offer it to all customers
    04-13-09 10:35 PM
    Thanks Lebz!

Thing is - I think I'll have to upgrade my phone if I want to take advantage of the student plan - it's only valid if you upgrade your phone or start a new contract.

I wonder if just adding MY5 to my existing plan would be better instead of having to upgrade and change my plan outright.......

*sighs* I'm still confused, lol!
    04-13-09 10:53 PM
    if you don't want to re-sign your contract you can add the Canada wide MY-5 for $15 a month and you will not be locked in....if your planning on sticking with rogers then you can re-sign and take advantage of a student or Canada wide My-5 which will not effect your upgrade ability. You can still upgrade when you are eligible.

Hope this helps
    04-14-09 12:51 PM
    Thanks Fade!

I would like to stay with Rogers as my family has been with them for a very long time. It would benefit me in terms of pricing to stay with Rogers. To clarify - I wouldn't have to upgrade my phone if I changed my price plan to the student plan? I had read in the terms and conditions that it was only valid to change to a student plan if you upgraded your phone. I'm not sure if I misunderstood that?

As well - if you're on the student plan do you have to give your student I.D. every year or just initially? I will be graduating within the three years if I renew now.

Thanks again for your help!
    04-14-09 01:02 PM
    Thanks Fade!

I would like to stay with Rogers as my family has been with them for a very long time. It would benefit me in terms of pricing to stay with Rogers. To clarify - I wouldn't have to upgrade my phone if I changed my price plan to the student plan? I had read in the terms and conditions that it was only valid to change to a student plan if you upgraded your phone. I'm not sure if I misunderstood that?

As well - if you're on the student plan do you have to give your student I.D. every year or just initially? I will be graduating within the three years if I renew now.

Thanks again for your help!
    no changing ur plan got nothing to do with the phone upgrade. and as for the student ID it dont matter if it changes u give it once and ur through with it. but the best way to go about it if u dont wanna sign for 3 years is just add the MY5 as fade said or try getting the 1000 long distance min
    04-14-09 11:31 PM
    Also RG, once the student ID MSD code is on there it stays on there unless you remove it to take advantage of a new plan that doesn't use an MSD code.

And changing your plan will never mess up your upgrading, the only thing that would is if you changed the responsibility of the account ie. transfer of responsibility.
    04-15-09 01:00 PM
    I guess I'm torn between whether I want to upgrade or just simply change my plan - I think it would depend on what they would offer me in terms of pricing for a hardware upgrade.

Good to know that I don't have to actually upgrade my device - I may just be patient and upgrade in December.

Thanks again for the info - I really appreciate the help!
    04-15-09 09:48 PM
    This thread is a great idea.
    I hope these questions are appropriate.
    I am a 'pay as you go' type of customer with Rogers but I took the leap and bought a lightly used 8800 off of ebay. In transit right now.
    I've been looking over the service offerings but they are a little overwhelming for a newbie.
    My needs are probably pretty modest compared to many on this forum.

I read through the entire 'what do you pay' thread and it appears that the $17.50 airmiles deal and the $25 - 500 Mb deal would suit me to begin with.

My question, what type of committment is required? ie: do I have to sign up for a minimum duration on those two options?

My whole idea of starting out with a 'used' phone is that I didn't need to sign up for 3 years just in case I don't like it.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
    bb
    04-15-09 09:50 PM
    This thread is a great idea.
    I hope these questions are appropriate.
    I am a 'pay as you go' type of customer with Rogers but I took the leap and bought a lightly used 8800 off of ebay. In transit right now.
    I've been looking over the service offerings but they are a little overwhelming for a newbie.
    My needs are probably pretty modest compared to many on this forum.

I read through the entire 'what do you pay' thread and it appears that the $17.50 airmiles deal and the $25 - 500 Mb deal would suit me to begin with.

My question, what type of committment is required? ie: do I have to sign up for a minimum duration on those two options?

My whole idea of starting out with a 'used' phone is that I didn't need to sign up for 3 years just in case I don't like it.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
    bb
    the data doesn't require a commitment but the $17.50 plan will definitely require a commitment of 3 years. If your looking at not being on a 3 year contract, any of the new rogers plans are available on 1,2 or 3 years. So you can get a $25 my5 local or network calling and your data and your good to go. Keep in mind that if you just get the $25 data package that you don't get voice mail or caller id etc. If you bump up to the $35 data package you get it all, but then again you will be tied in for 3 years. So you may opt for just getting the $12 or $15 value pack for your phone for those features, or add them separately

Cheers
    04-16-09 10:51 AM
    I guess I'm torn between whether I want to upgrade or just simply change my plan - I think it would depend on what they would offer me in terms of pricing for a hardware upgrade.

Good to know that I don't have to actually upgrade my device - I may just be patient and upgrade in December.

Thanks again for the info - I really appreciate the help!
    The best solution i can recommend is to contact the cancellations department and let them know your thinking about canceling because it seems as though rogers isn't offering any really great plans or something, or bell has offered "insert great deal here" and your wondering what rogers will offer in return. You can say things like "i don't mind paying $XX for a phone and $XX for a plan but $XXXXX seems like a lot for (device and plan you want)"

Good luck in your decision making.

Cheers
    04-16-09 10:54 AM
    thanks, f2b.
    Precisely the advice I was looking for.

Makes this much more understandable.
    04-16-09 01:23 PM
    The best solution i can recommend is to contact the cancellations department and let them know your thinking about canceling because it seems as though rogers isn't offering any really great plans or something, or bell has offered "insert great deal here" and your wondering what rogers will offer in return. You can say things like "i don't mind paying $XX for a phone and $XX for a plan but $XXXXX seems like a lot for (device and plan you want)"

Good luck in your decision making.

Cheers
    Thanks Fade - I may end up doing that in a few weeks time. I actually called Rogers today and was told that I was only a Tier 1 despite being with them for so many years. Apparently after every hardware upgrade they wipe whatever revenue you accrued and since I pay "very little" if I were to do a hardware upgrade now it would cost me as much as buying the phone outright without a contract.

I'm going to look around at other deals, see what's out there and maybe I'll just pay for the remaining months and cancel it.

Thanks again for the help!
    04-16-09 07:41 PM
    ok....just one more, very newbie question....

Is it possible to get a data plan and continue my month to month 'pay as you go'?
    04-16-09 09:37 PM
    you cannot have data on a pay as you go plan, you have to be on at least a month to month contract package to get it. Data isn't available through rogers on paygo.
    04-16-09 10:12 PM
    Thanks Fade - I may end up doing that in a few weeks time. I actually called Rogers today and was told that I was only a Tier 1 despite being with them for so many years. Apparently after every hardware upgrade they wipe whatever revenue you accrued and since I pay "very little" if I were to do a hardware upgrade now it would cost me as much as buying the phone outright without a contract.

I'm going to look around at other deals, see what's out there and maybe I'll just pay for the remaining months and cancel it.

Thanks again for the help!
    you can use the tier 1 pricing to your advantage, just say, "i've been with rogers for X amount of years and i'm paying full price for a phone on an upgrade that doesn't make any sense"....playing dumb works for those types of things.
    04-16-09 10:13 PM
    you can use the tier 1 pricing to your advantage, just say, "i've been with rogers for X amount of years and i'm paying full price for a phone on an upgrade that doesn't make any sense"....playing dumb works for those types of things.
    Haha really? Wouldn't they just catch on and explain to me how it works? I would have to do this in retentions I'm assuming?
    04-16-09 11:27 PM
    yes you would have to go through retentions, but you can act dumb and be like "i never knew i got reset in pricing every time i did an upgrade" or still go with the whole x amount of years argument, that's what a lot of people do to get their way.
    04-17-09 10:40 AM
    Thanks again Fade - I may end up doing that along with using a deal from Bell as leverage. It would still be cheaper for me to cancel with Rogers and go with Bell instead of staying on with Rogers who want to charge me close to $600 for a Blackberry hardware upgrade.
    04-17-09 08:42 PM
    I am only 10 months into my 3 year contract with rogers. Currently i have a regular Nokia phone, I would really like a blackberry. I went to best buy and they told me i would have to pay $124 for the 8900 plus $100. Is this true? and do i have to wait 12 months before i get an upgrade? because im dying for one!
    04-18-09 02:36 PM
    usually you wait 12 months and at that point you usually have to pay $100 OVER the advertised or new customer pricing. Sometimes retentions will make an upgrade exception if you threaten to cancel but not always.
    04-18-09 08:40 PM
    The question below was posted in the general Rogers area without a definitive response. Would one of the Rogers reps be able to provide some insight?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6GB blackberry plan on iPhone?

I've read through many threads on the internet (including crackberry), and have not found a definitive answer to my question.

Can I use the Rogers 6GB BB plan on an iPhone without incurring extra charges?

From what I understand, whether you have the 6GB BB plan or the 6GB iPhone plan, both allow you access to the generic data internet.com APN to the tune of 6GB.

The difference being, the 6GB BB plan also allows you access to the BB APN which is compressed data carrying the traffic for instant messenger, push mail and other RIM specific services, which also gets included into this 6GB bucket.

That being said, you should be able to use the the iPhone (the internet.com APN) for surfing, e-mail, youtube.. maps.. etc without additional charges. The only thing is, you would not have visual voice mail.

This is what I've pieced together, and it does make sense to me.
    I'd really like some feedback from people that KNOW their facts about this.

I've read many "you need an iPhone plan for an iPhone and a blackberry plan for a blackberry" statements.
    For example, I know that using an older blackberry plan with 15MB of data on an iPhone will give you a phone bill potentially in the $1000s, and I know that the 6GB iPhone plan will not allow you access to the RIM network, therefore no instant messenger or push mail.

Thanks for any enlightenment
    04-26-09 06:16 PM
    i responded to this post in its original place of posting, if your require further assistance lemme know.
    04-26-09 07:33 PM
    Does rogers offer any extra add on "plan" for USA minuites? I only need between 25-50

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 01:41 PM
    $45 + $7 6PM option + $15 smartphone value pack
    450 minutes
    Unlimited Incoming Local Calls
    Evenings and Weekends at 6pm
    Call Display
    Enhanced Voicemail
    2500 text messages
    I do have a similar plan with Rogers.
    $45+15 smartphone value pack
    free after 9pm (now I wanna switch to 5pm for $9)
    Unlimited incoming
    Call display, name display, who called wait-isn't it the $15 value pack?
    Enhanced voicemail
    2500 text

The only difference is I have 200+50 bonus minutes
    How come I don't have the 450 min?
    Last edited by krisztibi; 06-02-09 at 05:01 PM. Reason: I did switch it to early evening it's 5pm now
    04-28-09 04:35 PM
951 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD